Wildlife in our gardens

I would catch them when I was a kid and keep them as pets for awhile. Some you can hypnotize. I brought some in to school for “show and tell”. Non-poisonous snakes only.

I think humans and many other species (like cats) are genetically hardwired to fear snakes, and for good reason. Overcoming that fear and appreciating them for all their benefits in the environment is an active and conscious learning process. I like and respect snakes

4 Likes

The only fears humans are born with is fear of heights and loud noises. As those are things newborns should avoid due to their demise being met from both of them. All other fears are learned. However I don’t discount some sort of hive memory possibility (this is a bit esoteric I know) where an ancestor could have been killed by a snake or large predator so a fear is somehow naturalized within your psyche. This isn’t founded in anything but hypothesis, however it’s hard to discount the overwhelming fear some people seem to have of things that can potentially be fatal if encountered.

1 Like

There’s also a reflexive “fear” when a shadow passes suddenly over the sun (most people duck slightly and feel uneasy), which is theorized as a remnant from when our ancestors were small primates that were hunted by birds of prey. But that’s not an actual fear, just a reflexive response to a stimulus.

2 Likes

For the last few days our courtyard has turned into a paratrooper landing site. This time around it’s fieldfare chicks.

Fortunately our dog is more interested in fruit and the cat won’t enter this part during the day.

4 Likes

ive handled snakes as a kid all the time. never got bit. only nonvenomous ones here. i had a Burmese python when i was in the army. sold it to a friend. about 15 years ago i had a red-tailed boa. she was 7.5 ft. and 50lbs. she never tried to bite. on warm summer days i would put her on the lawn to bask and task my daughter to make sure she didn’t get into the woods. when she got close, 13 yr old Zoe would drag her by the tail back to the middle of the yard. once a week she got a warm shower in the tub. when i started dating my current wife she was terrified so i sold her to a guy that already had a carpet python.

4 Likes

Reason 1272975531 I don’t ever kill spiders haha

6 Likes

And why I’m grateful that they set up their webs around the fruit clusters on my blueberries. Very thoughtful of them

3 Likes

Yeah I am crazy, I even apologize to them when I accidentally damage their web. They seem really intelligent to me, when I catch them inside to release them out, they always seem to understand I mean them no harm. It’s very different if you approach them with harmful intent. I removed 3 black widows from my stack of pots the other day and didn’t kill them, I’ve never been bitten by one and I’m sure they’ve had ample opportunity.

3 Likes

I am a spider saver too. I get laughed at work when I prevent the murder and arrange the extradition of any spiders that happen to show up. I have relocated black widows often because they love my pot stash too. I don’t see them as being too aggressive but I have taken care of a patient with a black widow bite and it is not a place I want to go. My favorites are the jumping spiders—they are very “cute”!

4 Likes

I also apologize to spiders when I’ve messed up their web accidentally @Gkight. It only seems courteous. I love when they set up their webs across the tree cages I have… seems like a good strategy to catch some pests.

We had a wolf spider hang around our enclosed porch for a week or so and my husband indulged me by naming her…I enjoyed greeting her each morning.

@k8tpayaso the jumping spiders ARE super cute.

4 Likes

Im always paying homage to these bugs. Praying mantis lover here. I do have this small green curculid sucker bug causing yellowing of leaves. Might spot spray these …
Would you remove a mud dome shaped wasp nest? They are pretty tolerant lol.

1 Like

Little hummingbird was sleeping in my jujube last November.

8 Likes

Desert Iguana from last year.

6 Likes

A little sad about this one… Poor praying mantis found its way into the house, so I thought I was being helpful by taking it outside to my jujube tree… 15 minutes later I wanted to check if it was still in the yard, and I found this Ornate tree lizard eating it :sob:

7 Likes

This fella just walked toward me up these steps literally holding out its hand as if begging. Not happy with whichever neighbor has been feeding the raccoons.

8 Likes

But he’s clearly got a little one to look out for. Rolling up with the stroller is kind of cheating though

5 Likes

@k8tpayaso

A guy i have been working with has a 4" + chunk gone out of his hip from a brown recluse. He’s been leaking puss and blood for weeks and has been needing lots of extra time off. They are so common here we have all slept with them in our bed hundreds of times. They get in laundry baskets etc. Just like they do in your home in Texas. I saw plenty in amarillo. That recluse must have been in his bed and got rolled over on or been in his pants when he put them on. I had one on my face one night i quickly flicked off in the dark. I knew what he was since it was in my bed. Turning on the light confirmed it when i found him. My house has none in it 99% of the time because i thouroghly search for them and erradicate them and any source of food they are after eg. Crickets. Once i realized they followed the crickets i simply got rid of the crickets quickly when they showed up. The recluse has a bad enemy which is the wolf spider who i carefully step around any time i see. A large wolf spider was in my house once because a few crickets got in somehow. Once he ate the crickets or any recluse he stood at my front door where i went and let him out like a guest who was leaving. We have very few black widows. I do occasionally run into them inside old beehives etc. That are not being used. Most recluses as the name implies are under sinks. In undisturbed areas, in guest blankets that are seldom used etc. . The key to keeping them out of my house is to leave no stone unturned. Open the bathroom sink counter and spray the underside with off or air freshner or lysol. Open the kitchen sink counter and do the same. Open closets or attics and do the same. Vacuum under the beds and in every nook and cranny. I even look under the kitchen table and chairs, washer , dryer etc. I hunt for them. A good vaccuum and a little time keeps them out of here. Its pretty wild on my properties and i like it that way but i want the outdoors to stay out there. A woman i knew was bit in the hand and a huge 3" chunk on the top of her hand turned black and rotted off. I say 3" but it might be better to say then majority of the back side. It was most of the top side not super deep on her hand. In the middle i assume where the bite occurred it was more black and there was a deep pit with a center to it. The rot started in that center and spread out over several days. Her hand eventually years later looked normal again. Who knows why some bites are so severe?

1 Like

Our latest arrivals!!

8 Likes

@clarkinks the recluse is one that I fear more so than than black widow and I won’t hesitate to kill one of them when I see it. Because they are so “reclusive” they often bite people in some of the worst places. I don’t see many of them but then that’s because they hide…not like the black widow that is everywhere and stays fairly visible.

2 Likes