Wildlife in our gardens

id keep them untill they fly. which for quail is about 4 months or 75% feathered out. I’ve raised many types of game birds. quail fly sooner than most. get some vinyl black mesh to put over their enclosure so if they try to fly out , they won’t hurt themselves. TSC has it. might be surprised and get 80+% hatchabilty. wild bird eggs are much hardier than chicken eggs to extreme temps. good luck and keep us posted!

2 Likes

They can fly pretty soon after hatching so make sure you have a top on what ever you put them in.

I bought a bag of wildflower seed mix at Lowe’s it’s been fun watching the flowers pop up and the various bugs visiting them

12 Likes

Those pics are stunning, incredible detail. I also checked some pics on your website, very nice indeed.

What kind of camera(s) do you use?

Here’s my humble patch

9 Likes

Love zinnias - mine didn’t come up this year

Thanks. Photography was a big hobby of mine about 15-25 years ago. when film was still king. I did mostly landscapes, and my camera at the time was a Minolta SLR, and a couple of zoom lenses. Took a lot of beautiful shots from the West Coast, the Rockies, and one trip to France. But I felt like my lenses weren’t really that good, so I upgraded to a Nikon SLR and lenses, and they did awesome when I took them to Europe that year. But, digital was starting to coming on strong then (2003). so I never really used that rig again. I never thought digital would replace the detail and richness of film, but the advances in recent years are amazing, even in smartphone cameras.

Anyways, yes, please post some more pics when you can.

1 Like

It’s great to connect with owls. I haven’t seen any directly until this afternoon. I went outside to dump some recyclables into one of our blue bins and there across the street I see a mockingbird harrassing something on the neighbor’s ice plant. It is still covering it’s prey a bit with wings but there’s no mistaking the head of a horned owl. A few more dives from the mockingbird and it is off to a utility pole down the street and then off to points unknown. Yes! They are hunting here :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool Richard! I was able to get a pic of this guy this spring. I’d flushed him out a few times in our woodlot, but never caught him sitting still enough for a picture (or didn’t realized it was there). I got a picture of one near the house a few years ago. This is a Barred Owl.

8 Likes

Mrs. Oriole has sewn a nest under a banana leaf with leaf fibers … and the mockingbird chicks in the grape trellis have hatched :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Love the pics

1 Like

8 Likes

I wish I knew how to get pictures of the bats in the evening but they are extremely fast. The tree frogs, bats, dragon flies etc. are beginning to make a dent in the once thriving mosquito population. Mosquitos hide in the dense carmine jewell foliage but as you can see that dragon fly is waiting patiently.

6 Likes

Wow!

1 Like

Today I saw the mother rabbit trying to eat raspberries from their lower branches. The two baby bunnies all that were left from her latest drop of five hopping around my rose garden. And then the Garter snake slithering out of my Kiwi Gold raspberry bed and my keen bowser paying no attention!

5 Likes

Here’s the bunny!

7 Likes

No fear!!!

Katy

3 Likes

No kidding!

4 Likes

The doe only had two babies survive and they have since left town. Their nest has been torn to pieces. Hey, what about my fearless pup? Lol!

4 Likes

She’s saying “Let me at ‘em…just let me…!!!

Katy

3 Likes