Wildlife in our gardens

Thanks. I want to nurture a native population, if possible. Knowing the species would be helpful. I was thinking about investing in mason bees, but this would be more convenient.

2 Likes

pretty snake.

1 Like

Fox trying to eat my chickens!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had several try to dig in but my dogs ran him off. if i hear my geese start honking at night, i sic the dogs on him. my 60lb. red heeler , Buster. is very protective of ā€˜ā€™ hisā€™ā€™ birds. when they are out , he helps me herd them back in.

2 Likes

I had lost lots of chickens to the foxes and hawks mostly the foxes. Last year I was cutting grass and I was getting ready to start cutting the back yard which it would take me about 3.5 hours to cut it so I decide to let my chickens come out while I was going to be around but before I let them out I checked the weather on my phone just in case! So I let them out to eat some critters, two hours later a huge dark cloud come out out of no where, by the time I made it to the house I was soaked. Went inside to change clothes and to have a sandwich since I couldnā€™t do anything else outside so by the time I sit down to have my sandwich I look back and saw the chickens still doing their thing. By the time I finish my sandwich ( maybe 10 minutes) I look out and didnā€™t see no chickens, the only thing I saw was a fox standing between the two coops, I pull my rifle out and took a shot to the fox maybe 300 yards or better. Went out there to start gathering my checkers, by the time I gather them all I was missing my rooster and 4 hens large foul, not bantams (10 minutes) thatā€™s all it took to get five of my chickens and for what I can tell the rooster put a fight with the fox.

3 Likes

@moose71 I need to get me a guardian dog like yours.

2 Likes

i agree. just the smell of a dog peeing in the yard sometimes will be enough to keep them out. i highly recommend the herding breeds if you have the room to exercise them. my female is half heeler half border collie and her son is 3/4 red heeler / 1/4 collie. heā€™s a beefy 60lbs. sweet as can be until something comes in the yard. he will confront people by posturing but doesnā€™t bite. animals on the other hand heā€™s all out!i lost half my flock 3 yrs ago to a fox after forgetting to close their door one night. now i keep them in the run. the next night he returned to get the rest. i was waiting with the shotgun. :wink:

4 Likes

I donā€™t know if any would have that breed here where I live, but I agree I need one to help me out and keep me company while gardening!

1 Like

they are pretty popular breed but any medium sized dog would probably do. mutts are easy to come by in the pound. males have the instinct to protect their territory.

3 Likes

Its good to be dirty

9 Likes

My Demi is heeler with some pibble. Shes a working dog at heart. Love the breed. She does organize us all.

3 Likes

Itā€™s spring and love is in the air. These horn faced bees are getting excited.

9 Likes

Did you eat the fox?

No, I do not eat foxes.

2 Likes

Well this is a little different:

8 Likes

Saw this guy this morning. Heā€™s a big fella, or gal. I donā€™t know how to tell the differenceā€¦JCS_1858 JCS_1860

14 Likes

During the day i leave the Cornell bird feeder running (its in NY) ā€¦ They have one that comes all the time.

Iā€™ve yet to see any orioles (locally or on the feeder cam).

3 Likes

Great pictures! Heā€™s a male. Red mustache and completely red crest = male. Black mustache and partially red crest = female.

4 Likes

They are huge and beautiful. A Pileated woodpecker. We had them on Ilesborough.

3 Likes

Hate it when they drop their tails.

9 Likes