Wildlife in our gardens

How and what are you going to feed them and when to release them back to the wild?

very neat Kev.! when i was stationed in Korea they had huge mantises there. we would catch them and put them on the window sill in the guard shack to watch them catch the flies. the Koreans considered them sacred. seen some as big as 8in long.

So…I was going to release them today but its pouring rain here. After a little internet research, I fed them tiny pieces of raw chicken meat . It worked…they absolutely devour it…amazing how much they eat. But I’ll let them go in a day or two, The sad thing is I’m sure out of the 150 or so babies, I bet only a very few will make it to adulthood- they are so tiny and helpless I’m sure all kinds of things eat them

@moose71 I’ve seen photos of some of those giant Asian mantisis and they are AMAZING!!! I love watching videos of them or even the American ones catching and eating other bugs. And as you probably know, the female often eats the head off the male after they mate!!! And yet I’m enamored with these guys! haha

@LarryGene hope you saw my photos above. I know you are something of an insect guru and certainly already know all about these guys, but I still thought you might get a kick out of my seemingly successful project!

Don’t you feel sorry for all the males who get eaten by the female after they “do it”??

If I was a Praying Mantis I would skip that few seconds of fun and staying alive.LOL!!

during the mating season they would fly around looking for a mate. luckily they were slow enough to avoid when walking.

Would you really though! We all have weaknesses can you really blame the guys? and they gotta feed their kids!

There are so many funny things I could say in response to @BlueBerry and @tonyOmahaz5 ‘s comments about the males getting eaten after mating…but this is a family oriented web site so I’'ll resist most of them. But who knows, maybe some things are WORTH dying for. :slight_smile: ha.

I just hope most of these little guys survive. Papa may have given his life for them, after all!

A few that frequent my back yard in Sebastopol, Ca
Downy Woodpecker

Peacock

Chestnut Backed Chickadee

Spotted Towhee

And Acorn Woodpeckers

I scared a ruffed grouse out of a cedar tree near my apples (one I need to eliminate at some point to help with cedar apple rust).

@Monardella, I have a little webcam. I’ve been trying to catch some beavers at work, near our house. And otters, a few months ago. No luck.

But I think I’ve found another use for the camera. I have 2 little dogs. And ‘somebody’ is sneaking into my laundry room hall and leaving a puddle . . . every evening around dinner time. I can’t tell ‘who’ . . . and they are both saying ‘NOT ME!’
So . . . I’m gonna set up that webcam and solve the mystery! - PomGranny

Fabulous pics!

Haha yeah that’s a great use for a trail cam. In fact I have a mysterious superpooper visiting my front garden and I attempted to use the cam to find out who was the culprit. No luck unfortunately.

This lady Sherri Tippie has been saving beavers for 30 years she is incredibly selfless sweet and wonderful and did most all this research on how to make beaver dam bypasses. Beavers are amazing creatures she make’s dams that support wildlife but still let water flow through. We have done this all over colorado for the last 30 years. Did you know that if you pick up a beaver it will cuddle with you and that they are not naturally aggressive? If you have a creek and one moves in its worth building these.

A video explaining what they are doing

I believe it’s a southern cricket frog. Tiny .

Thank you for this. We have looked up ‘beavers’ on the internet - to understand better, what they are doing. We live right on the edge of swampland and not far from the IntraCoastal Waterway. Lots of trees. Lots of water. - - - We have tried to see them active, in the evening . . . but when we walk toward their dam - we hear them out in the pond, slapping their tails! I suppose they are warning us to ‘go away’. We’ve glimpsed them swimming out in the pond - but it’s very dark and they are hard to see. We enjoy all of the wildlife that live here with us. Some more than others. We have herons, otters, geese, hawks, and a bald eagle who stops by from time to time. Once, I spotted a bobcat. Other people, nearby, have seen little black bears. And coyotes. But beavers . . . this is a first.

Beavers are a incredibly important part of the ecosystem, They definitely need our help and are not a animal that is overpopulated, However its better when they do not make permanent dams for everyone down the line and this is the best solution! I will bet you could get some environmental studies college students to come build you one and it would probably help get them projects completed for schooling.

With coronavirus all over here I bet Sherri is really bored and she definitely will respond by email and you could chat with her if you want to learn more about beavers! and she definitely wants more people making these they are mainly in Colorado Wyoming California Oregon Idaho and Washington. We need to get people on your side of the sea board making these

we have such a over abundance of beavers here the MDIFW trap them to control their numbers. they plug up culverts and flood road ways. years ago fur trappers kept them in check now theyres barely anyone trapping them. i don’t think theres a limit on how many a trapper can take anymore. they used to relocate them 20 yrs. ago but they just continued to over populate and it was expensive. too bad as i like to watch beavers do their thing.

From what I learned about the prior Woodpecker I posted it appears the Female is here now???