Wildlife in our gardens

New to me - of course, you live in Texas, me in the far north of Washington. My guess, looking at the lovely photo you have supplied here, this one is female. Pointed snout consistent with digger types. On the west of my state it is possible to find a type of boa that lives much like the Rough Earth snake.
Thanks!

1 Like

Thats definitely it! I wish there was a way to encourage them to stick to grubs and slugs instead of earthworms. Its fun when you realize when you had seen them when you were younger, I saw some antlions recently and i really enjoy those guys. I used to help farm them and bring them ants to eat as a kid.

2 Likes

Orchard Oriole, Baltimore Oriole, Grosbeaks, and this guy all showed up on the same day. Must have been riding the same warm front.

14 Likes

Put a trail cam on a woodpecker hole this week. Unfortunately, I think the starling is winning the battle.

10 Likes

I agree. The warm weather birds are arriving now. I heard wood thrushes and saw barn swallows for the first time this year on Wednesday. Can’t wait to hear the orioles again.

2 Likes

Working hard on the Lantana…

8 Likes

threes a crowd. :wink:

1 Like

Just walked through …

9 Likes

We watched a deer and coyote playing chase for about 5 minutes this morning in 6 acres of crop field that we just pulled plastic mulch and driptape from.
Deer chasing the coyote! Wild!

7 Likes

Scarlet Tanager arrived in my yard last week and seems to be settling in. He’s so far evaded a decent photograph. I almost hope there isn’t a female nearby because my resident cowbirds will parasatize her nest.

3 Likes

Seen cruising overhead looking for breakfast this morningJCS_1984 JCS_1981 JCS_1985

5 Likes

This guy finally showed up. At one point today we had the Oriole, Rose Breasted Grossbeak, and Indigo Bunting in the feeder at the same time.

13 Likes

Six different kinds of aphids :smile:

I identified the two most interesting ones :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

That deer is probably protecting her young or territory.

This made me chuckle, thx :laughing:

Nope, they were playing…running around and around, hopping fence into riparian bufferstrip then back out into plowed field. I’ve seen deer play with one another that way, but not with a coyote…
Does would not yet have fawns on the ground here yet.

1 Like

That would be very strange.

I agree. I’d never seen it before… but it was pretty evident, from what we could see, that it was ‘play’…
Now, did the coyote feel threatened? IDK. While wife and I are both veterinarians, neither of us are Dr. Doolittle.

9 Likes

A couple Scarlett Tanagers were spotted in our yard today. It’s not a great shot even though they let us walk up close to them.

11 Likes

Wildlife is where you find it.