Wildlife in our gardens

I love the intricate pattern on the wings

17 Likes

I had a huge garden spider build a web inside a door frame. I watched it for several weeks. I leave for work every morning about 6 and she would be reworking her web at that hour. One afternoon I came home and the web was demolished, the garden spider was hanging on to the side of the door sill mortally wounded and the culprit was caught in the remainder of the web…a big dragonfly. I freed him from the web and he was on his way…my lovely spider had fluids leaking from her body and she soon died away… :flushed::flushed::flushed::cry::cry::cry:. She was really big and I’m sure that was a battle to watch. I’m glad I didn’t see it though.

7 Likes

Really sad. It reminds me of the “Charlotte’s Web” I read with my kids when they were little.

1 Like

I kind of know how you feel. My kids sometimes thought I was so mean not to let them have a pet when they were young. I didn’t want to tell them I wouldn’t know what to do if I get attached to a pet and then it dies, the animal’s lifespan is much shorter than human. I preferred not to have to face it.
When my daughter was little, there was a tiny grasshopper on the guava tree. She named it “George” and came out every late afternoon to talk to him. George liked the young guava leaves and ate a lot, but the guava tree was still little. One day I moved him to the mandarin tree next to it. He didn’t eat anything that day so I put him back onto the guava tree. My daughter kept visiting him everyday until he wasn’t there anymore. She was heart broken. I let her have two red ear sliders later because they can live a long life. They are still here with us.

2 Likes

It is very hard to lose pets but they give you soooo much in their lifetime that it is worth it! Especially if you rescue one from a shelter and give them someone to love!!

5 Likes

Find a few friendly snakes!

12 Likes

Ringnecks! I love those little boogers

4 Likes

The Cardinal somehow like to hang out in my fig pots area.

6 Likes

Deleted content /-;

4 Likes

If you are going so far as posting photos of ticks i am going to post photos of my cats death art addition to my garden!

2 Likes

Say hello to my little friends! Lol

9 Likes

This guy hated me coming near. But he couldn’t resist the dessert!

11 Likes

A few visitors today

10 Likes

Anyone can identify this little guy?JCS_2060 JCS_2059 JCS_2055 JCS_2053 JCS_2052

8 Likes

Looks like an ash throated flycatcher.

3 Likes

It’s a little blurry but he has a fly in his mouth here. Or maybe some other bug but I think it’s a fly…The Hummingbird came back too…

8 Likes

A osprey with two ckicks nesting by a friends house. Dad just finished bringing home an ineresting fish for their lunch. May 29 12:30. Live cam
https://youtu.be/ZzW9-t5bYJE

3 Likes

Hunting…JCS_2066 JCS_2065 JCS_2064

7 Likes

image image

Cicadas making their return.

5 Likes

Nasty noisy suckers…

3 Likes