Wildlife in our gardens

I’ve found two of these on my apple trees. My daughter in law took the other one to San Antonio to let the kids watch the metamorphosis. And then I found this one which is much larger probably because it has been getting fresh leaves instead of some sent with the other caterpillar. So… my plan is to watch it until it cocoons and then get it to my kids house and let the two of them become moths together… I dunno if that will work. 1) I don’t know if my young apple trees will sustain this one all summer 2) I don’t know if the other one is going to get enough nutrition to do well. But if all goes well then the two can fly off together. I just can’t believe how big he is getting and how much he is eating.
:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

You can order these things off the internet…

5 Likes

I cannot wait to see this moth and I thought our beautiful green luna moths in Maine were huge. Nope!

4 Likes

whens your hunting season Jeff? id gladly drive down with the freezer in my truck and clear out your ‘’ problem’’. :wink:

2 Likes

Ok I have French wildlife. I have Pepé the roof climbing rat that is responsible for startIng to girdle my citrus tree. I went to the garden store and bought a sealant for the wound. There is a restaurant not far-away; that is the problem ! At least its not a squirrel !

squirrels are just a rat with a bushy tail! :wink:

I think this is the the cecropia moth. I saw one caterpillar like yours last year on an apple tree. I found 2 cocoons this spring. Then I saw this moth on my newly grafted plum tree. Resolution is not too good, but I think this is what your guy will metamorphosis into. It was huge.

11 Likes

Yes! That’s it!!! I have never seen one here before but evidently had some eggs that hatched. You should see caterpillars hatch. They are black when they first hatch (or so I’ve read…).

2 Likes

I’ve seen that moth here for years but never seen those big caterpillars. i wonder why?

2 Likes

I think hunting is going to have a lot of new participants this year. Everybody and their brother will be out there. Running and gunning like my brother use to say…

Squirrels are good eating…just crockpot them :slight_smile:

Toads are everywhere this year…I’ve got them hopping all over my yard, in my garage…I see them while mowing. Must have been a good crop. MY kids were putting them in their pool.

6 Likes

For as big and colorful as they are it’s hard to see them if you aren’t looking. These just happen to live in small apple trees that don’t have much place to hide. When I go out looking for him sometimes it takes me a while. Although now I just look for an area without leaves! :flushed::flushed:

2 Likes

That frog is adorable!

Looks Like this Large Beetle - Dynastes tityus

1 Like

@RichardRoundTree What ever happened to Monty the snake? Last I remember you were making him an outside home and about to release him. Did you ever see him again? Not like I think a snake would come by for a visit to relive old times, but maybe you’ve seen him around the yard? Just curious-seemed like a fun project

2 Likes

Chapter 3 of the caterpillar story: Cocoon time

Preparation

Overnight the cocoon is in place

It’s hard to see because it wrapped leaves around itself before the actual cocoon was spun. The moth is supposed to hatch in the spring, find a mate, leave eggs to hatch for the new cycle.

6 Likes

Pretty amazing isn’t it?!!

2 Likes

A pleasant surprise on one of our trail cams !

13 Likes

Hope they aren’t small enough to slip under the bottom hot wire!

3 Likes

I just got one “in” my nursery bed! Grrrr !

2 Likes

With the temperature reaching 96’ yesterday, Mr. Squirrel was very sluggish and tried to cool off by lounging on the branches of the huge maple tree in the rear of the garden, periodically turning around.

14 Likes

Have a few anoles on bug duty in the blackberry canes.

18 Likes