Wildlife in our gardens

Those are always in the mulch in the front of my house. They don’t seem to mind being around us either unless you walk up to them.

1 Like

Probably nesting with eggs.

1 Like

Found this online about the difference in Cotton Mouth and Water Snakes.

Of course this also requires getting close to their head… :flushed::confused:

Not hard to see in pictures…

6 Likes

Yeah, since he was going in the other direction I let him be…couldn’t get a good look at the side of his head…

1 Like

Sadly, I found these guys after mowing over their nest. The good news is that these 2 survived and I’ve got them back in their nest so mom can keep feeding them at night! Much as I begrudge adult rabbits in my garden, I couldn’t bring myself to dispatch these little guys! Here’s hoping they grow up and move away.

13 Likes

They won my heart too. Until I found them sleeping in my raised vegetable beds under the netting. Pretty funny, almost a New Yorker cartoon!

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to figure out what’s been digging holes all over my yard, so I broke down and bought a trail camera…at first I thought it might be an armadillo, but it looks like it’s racoons…didn’t actually see him digging and I only had it out one night so far, but I’m curious what other things I’ll see lurking in the yard…

6 Likes

This monarch chose and interesting place to make it’s chrysalis, underneath one of the leaves on my eureka lemon…It just hatched and was drying his/her wings…

11 Likes

Noticed this little guy when I was about to pick this fruit.

8 Likes

This guy was out strolling in the yard last night…I’m guessing a baby racoon? of course the one good pic I get doesn’t show the whole face, but the black mask is a pretty good indicator…

3 Likes

Is this true?

7 Likes

Pretty much. They have the capability to eat that many ticks… they don’t really search them out but they will eat them if they find them. They have a lower body temperature than most mammals (opossums are marsupials—not mammals) and the consensus is that they do not tend to get diseases like Lyme and rabies because the viruses cannot live in their bodies. They pretty much scavenge for food and will eat roadkill and rodents including the bones. They clean themselves like cats. Supposedly they are immune to snake venom.

10 Likes

They’re hard on lawns, but they’re hard on Japanese beetles grubs in the process.

5 Likes

They also eat the eggs of birds, quail, dove, turkey. Anything on the ground or in a tree.

3 Likes

We had a visit from the Bobcat again:

14 Likes

That is one very large cat! Wow

Yah ,!
A fat CAT ,
Wow

& @Hillbillyhort yes, good sized for a Bobcat !

1 Like

Wow. That is one healthy dude. (or dude-ett?)

1 Like

Us too. I had a pretty good sized bobcat walk 30 feet or so past me during daylight. I casually pulled out my camera and recorded a video, but apparently double tapped record and only captured swinging the camera towards the cat :frowning:

I wonder if it was the same one from a couple of years ago.