Wildlife in our gardens

Fishing as a child with my Dad …your picture brought back such memories.

3 Likes

That’s a great story @thecityman. Had my oldest daughter out there with me showing her how to cast, didn’t catch anything but she was actually enjoying it…She was a little disappointed…I told her that’s why it’s called fishing and not catching…

2 Likes

Didn’t know that @barry, that was the first one of it’s kind I’d seen in the creek…Yesterday I saw some monsters but weren’t taking the bait…

Interesting. I;ve been fishing all my life, but honestly I don’t know for sure the difference between brim, bluegill, and sunfish.

my understanding is bluegill and brim or bream can be used interchangeably…sunfish are saltwater.

I should have said spotted sunfish. I say that based solely on the fish you identified as spotted sunfish. Down here we call it a brim or bluegill but it sounded like you made a distinction and I wasn’t aware that it was different. He said it came out of a creek.

Edit- after a little googling, I know see its more hopeless than I thought! looks like there are lots of freshwater sunfish in TN. In fact, that seems to be a category under which bluegill and many similar fish exist. Oh well…We call almost all of them bluegill or Brim. Here is a neat chart. The ones they call rock bass, we’ve always called red eye. They are fun fighting fish in creeks.

https://www.aa-fishing.com/tn/tennessee-panfish-fishing.html

1 Like

Yeah it is confusing…I’m orginally from up north (PA) and we used to call these sunfish any type of fish like this found in a creek or pond…

2 Likes

We have such a healthy turkey population here. Multiple mommas with brand new kids. They’ll be working on my garden soon! But some will be dinner after season…LOL

6 Likes

Got him breakfast. Odd to see him on the ground but very coolJCS_2211 JCS_2212 JCS_2214 JCS_2215 JCS_2216

7 Likes

!
just one of the thousand snails I have around my house

11 Likes

Another bird nest in the backyard. When I made noise to take picture, they thought it was feeding time. :wink:

12 Likes

So…do you all remember the photo I posted of the quail eggs I found in my orchard? Just to remind you and inform new users, what happened is that I mowed over a quails nest that had been made in an area of high grass and other undergrowth. Somehow I managed to not hit the eggs with mower blade, but it left the next of 18 (EIGHTEEN !!!) eggs completely uncovered, unprotected, and now sitting out in a wide open area with nothing but (now) short grass. So of course mom wouldn’t sit on the eggs exposed like that, and certainly it wouldn’t have been long before a racoon, opossum, or other critter would have come along and had the eggs for lunch. So I had nothing to lose by putting the eggs in an incubator. Well, 23 days later this is what the eggs look like! ha. 15 out of 18 is almost as good as mom would have done herself! ha Cutest things EVER!

20 Likes

good job!

2 Likes

I was able to get 4 juvenile rabbits and removed them from the yard. I haven’t seen the doe in a while so hopefully she’s moved on as well and this will be the last of them (at least for now).

9 Likes

Mommas. Papa and the kids…

14 Likes

i need to buy some land down near yours to help cull some of those turkeys and boar. :wink:

3 Likes

I’ll help you find it :+1:

2 Likes

Wasn’t able to grab a good picture but observed a very amusing scene today. 2 tiny adult Chipping Sparrows running around my honeyberry bushes followed by a big, clumsy juvenile Cowbird. The sparrows were retrieving my honeyberries and feeding them to their big adopted doofus,

For those unfamiliar with Brown headed Cowbirds…the adults are parasitic egg layers. They deposit their eggs in the finished nests of other species and leave them to be raised by the nest owners.

3 Likes

Mommas and the kids back again.

9 Likes

This bunny, which the children living here and I call BunBun, is very brown, with brown eyes, and has showed up in my garden 5 times now. He/she may be an Eastern Cottontail, although we live in WA state, because it is very brown compared to the native Western Cottontail, and they were transplanted here for hunting reasons in the late 1800s. Although it is a bit concerned about us staring, it not only keeps coming back to eat my strawberries, it also lets us get about 6 feet away.

10 Likes