Wildlife in our gardens

Mommas and younguns are back

9 Likes

Got a pic of this guy today. I’ve seen 3 or 4 in the last few days. Not sure but we have Indigos around here and this guy looks like one. He was some where around 6 foot. JCS_2257

9 Likes

I’ve enjoyed your photos of the turkeys. Seems like she had A LOT of eggs and chicks. DO you know how many? Sadly, very few will probably make it through the gauntlet of hawks, coyotes, and other predators. But that’s why nature gives her so many.

2 Likes

3 hens with 30 chicks…

2 Likes

Motion sensor went off last night didn’t have my camera but I seen a pair of yellow eyes and behind those were sets of white eyes turns out to be a mother raccoon and five babies I wonder why their eyes shined white versus the mom’s yellow eyes when I shine the light on them

1 Like

Not actually wildlife, but proof some came to visit. This is right next to where we put in some figs last week. Looks like a groundhog sized hole. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth: And he ate someone’s eggs :pensive:

1 Like

Maybe, but fox or other things are a possibility also.

1 Like

Oooo. Yeah, a fox. The egg eating would support that more than groundhog. It’s on the top of a small hill, and there is another exit on the hill. Maybe I have a fox den?

2 Likes

Further research supports the fox theory. The previous resident of this house fed the neighborhood cats (to the owners dismay). So, that could have been an easy food source.

My garden, in the other hand, better now be a good food source for them. It’s moving in this weekend, and I hope it makes it.

2 Likes

We had two nesting bobolinks in the field by our orchard, but in the grazing land of the national forest a mile away, there must be a dozen pairs.

7 Likes

Another surprise on one of our trail cams:

8 Likes

didnt know upstate N.Y had moose.

1 Like

Further north than us in the Adirondacks, yes. Occasional sightings in our area.

5 Likes

my brothers in central CT and 2 years ago a cow moose ran through main st. Bristol. most people thought it was a sick cow. my brother followed it with his truck flashing his lights so people would stop and let it go. finally made it to a swampy area near a lake and it went in the woods there.

2 Likes

That is weird. In the anchorage bowl there are usually 200~300 in the summer time and 700~1,000 in the winter time. Life doesn’t stop because there is a 1,100-pound moose munching on somebody’s bushes.

5 Likes

they are very rare there. here we have the highest moose population in the lower 48. we see more moose than any other big game. as long as they arent in the road most people dont give them a 2nd look unless its close to moose season. that said, moose hunting is on a lottery here and i got pulled this year for a bull. only been pulled 2xs since 82’. i already have a 51 incher on the wall from 05’ so my sons going to take it as hes sub permitee.

4 Likes

That is a pretty funny saying. Never heard that one before.
And - Man! - he must brush a lot. Guess it comes from chewing on all those bones?

We put out a Hav a Heart trap last night - for the first time. Trying to catch whoever is messing with my nectarine tree. But - no ‘takers’ yet. I suspect raccoons . . . maybe possums? We baited it with some lamb chop bones, some left-over sausage & rice, and my husband added a couple of sardines. - And a nectarine. Any suggestions as to what might work best?

Bait…
I think peels or parts of a very ripe cantaloupe put out right before dark , the aroma is irresistible.

1 Like

You know - I thought I remembered someone saying ‘cantaloupe’! But my husband and his 'expert on everything ’ brother would probably not have taken my advice. ! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Momma Bunny had a litter in the herb garden above. There were sightings of at least two babies. This one got spooked by the morning watering and fell down a couple of steps. He couldn’t clear the 5.5 inches jump so a half-step had to be constructed. Watch him struggle in the video below. He did make it safely back into the nest at the end.

The whole family has been pretty good. They stick to the grass and clover with an occasional sunflower leaf nibble.

9 Likes