Wildlife in our gardens

lol! thats what i was thinking!

My neighbor helped me with my 4 wheeler. That’s exactly it. We laughed so hard we almost wet ourselves! Damn sasquatch hands :raised_hand:…LOL

4 Likes

i have some friends/ brothers that would do that crap! lol!

2 Likes

The mower handles got him all excited!

11 Likes

Never saw a grasshopper this big… Looked like something prehistoric…

Couple weeks back I saw a huge softshell come in my yard and start digging around…now I know what she was doing…The other day I found her nest dug up, I’m assuming the local racoon is to blame…

6 Likes

Sasquatch. Definitely a Sasquatch print :joy:

3 Likes

Looks like there’s a guardian of the tender new avocado leaves that’s taken up residence in the Aravaipa section:

Various sap suckers seem to love young avocado leaves. I hope the spider finds the bugs tasty instead!

4 Likes

He or she spends a lot of time here . I’m obsessed with photographing it. What a majestic animal.

JCS_2282

10 Likes

that a hawk or a falcon? looks a little like our ospreys here but not big enough and markings are different.

1 Like

Hawk. I have several here. This is the smallest one of the bunch. I love watching them hunt. They dive with real intent and hold their prey down and pick it apart on the ground. They really like my 4x4 posts with trellis. They eat those giant grasshoppers like candy. And obviously are fantastic rat and mouse control!!! And snakes… I’ve got a picture somewhere with one with a snake in its Talons flying away…

2 Likes

i have red tailed hawks that hunt the field bordering my property. once and awhile ill see them perched on top of my pines. had a horned owl in my big spruces 2 falls ago. was in the yard when he started calling. scared the crap out of me. he/she was huge. rare to see them out in the open like that. the wife and i sat under the tree and watched him for a while before he decided to fly off.

1 Like

you can get a falconers license here to buy, train and use to hunt small game. the hard part is you need to be trained by a master falconeer for a period of time and then pass a test. its not cheap either to buy the bird or the license. no master falconeers that i know of up here either. would be cool to hunt with/ own though.

3 Likes

You can here to. I have several pairs of HUGE owls here. You hear them sqwaking to each other all the time. I’ve had them fly just feet from my face while out hunting critters at night. And I’ve seen them hunting a few times. I have some pics of a few small like the size of small crow as well.

4 Likes

its amazing how quiet they are when they fly.

2 Likes

Our pool is always attracting things like frogs, newts and the occasional snake or turtle

15 Likes

My high school principal was a falconer. Unless the rules have changed or vary by state (I assume it is a federal program), I remember him saying that you train the bird year 1/2ish, then you can keep them for a year (maybe 2 or 3?)and then they have to be released to the wild and you start all over again.

I took environmental science my senior year and he brought in his current trainee. I believe it was a Kestrel. He had it grab a piece of food from across the room and fly back to his gloved hand, it was SUPER cool to see. The training is rough though, you basically have to starve the bird and then force it to recognize you are it’s food source until it obeys your commands.

1 Like

What kind of turtle is that? It has a beautiful shell.

1 Like

Google Lens says it’s an eastern box turtle

7 Likes

better than a gator! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I realize that insects might not be what was meant by “wildlife” but I just spotted the cutest little bee basking on an avocado leaf:

I assume it was taking a break from gorging itself on the nearby oregano, which has been attracting a wider array of bees and wasps than anything else flowering in my yard to date

9 Likes