Wildlife in our gardens

I hear what sounds like several owls - calling back and forth from the swampy woods that surround 3 sides of our property. One pair definitely is asking “Who cooks for you???” - the classic call of a Barred Owl. Others are loud ‘screams’ - and deep ‘hoodoos’ - which I have not identified. I have lived here for over 30 years and still have not seen one owl! We see hawks and osprey - but never an owl.

1 Like

I have a picture of a huge Barred Owl somewhere. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

Could that box turtle go underwater? I remember some growing up that couldn’t. Like they have an air pocket in their she’ll or something. 🤷

Found this little guy one night6949-1446355226~2
And againIMG_20160827_010956955~2

And the big Barred owl. He was eyeing something to eat right outside my camper

IMG_20180807_165508~2

9 Likes

Here is one my pictures of our Barred owls. Haven’t seen them in the last few years.

9 Likes

i see them alot in the morning and evenings, hunting grouse in the fall. one of their faves along with hare that hang out on the same overgrown areas.

2 Likes

Caught a juvenile anole taking a drink from this curcuma

12 Likes

So cute! Thanks! :+1:

2 Likes

See what I just saw on my home door…

9 Likes

There’s something about ripe plums in my garden that attracts butterflies, it’s one of my favorite things about this time of the year.

11 Likes

I freakin love hedge hogs. They are insect eaters and are they welcome in your gardens or do they cause damage?

3 Likes

Hi!
I don’t know but I imagine they are good and eat some undesirable bugs. I don’t do anything bad to them

1 Like

I heard in New Zealand they are welcome in your garden like a garter snake is here!

2 Likes

anything that eats bad bugs is welcome anytime! garter snakes will eat slugs. i need more garter snakes. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve met a ‘green snake’ eyeball-to-eyeball in my fruit trees before…
just a little scare…no harm.

2 Likes

Look who I found while weeding under a Chestnut Crab. I relocated it to the woods by some leaf mold where I hope it is happy.

8 Likes

Depends where in NZ they are to be considered welcome.
Hedgehogs top major Mackenzie Basin predator cull list

I discovered this hole earlier, right next to my blueberry cage (when they were full and ripe), but on the outside not the inside which I thought a bit strange. I assumed a chipmunk that was not too good at tunnel placement. I set a live-trap but didn’t catch anything; and no blueberries went missing.

weasel-hole-july-gf

Then I found this - right in the middle of the main path through garden.

weasel-scat-july.-gfjpg

Maybe this weasel was a little miffed at my thinking he was a chipmunk so he/she made sure I’d see his mark. Actually, I’d found scat several times earlier, one full of grasshopper legs. Not having any problems with slugs or grasshoppers this year! Wish he liked cabage worms as well. But I’m also not so concerned about voles this year. Sue

8 Likes

The Lantana lost all of their flowers in late June but all came back in a few weeks bringing this guy and the hummingbirds back.JCS_2299~2 JCS_2298~2

6 Likes

Maypop and butterfly

4 Likes