Williams Pride

There was two WP on my pear tree and one cracked and was removed. The remaining one on this tree is my largest overall apple in the orchard. I have five on a apple tree devoted only to WP and they are only about 1/2 the size of this one.

2 Likes

on my pear tree

Whoa, whoa whoa. You can graft apples onto pears?

2 Likes

Yes via interstem

1 Like

Winter banana has been used for this. I understand Konrad in Edmonton is now using Palmetta (Russian apple) because it is hardy to -45C so not the dieback issues of Winter banana in cold climates.

Edit: actually that is for pears on apple trees but I think it can go both ways.

2 Likes

Of course I thought the thread was about this:

http://www.bananas.org/wiki/Musa_Williams_Hybrid

1 Like

First real picking of William Pride this year. This is a good apple here in eastern PA. These fruit are organic, haven’t gotten fire blight, CAR, or any of the summer rots later apples get. The ones hit by curculio have fallen off already, leaving only the good ones. They fill a spot for us just as peaches are finishing up and are a nice change from all the stone fruit. These were picked August 1 and seem perfect.

7 Likes

Your WP look perfect.

1 Like

Glad to see your report. I put WP in last year. Now I’m thinking about another. How would you rate them against later ripening ones?

1 Like