Williams Pride

There was two WP on my pear tree and one cracked and was removed. The remaining one on this tree is my largest overall apple in the orchard. I have five on a apple tree devoted only to WP and they are only about 1/2 the size of this one.

3 Likes

on my pear tree

Whoa, whoa whoa. You can graft apples onto pears?

2 Likes

Yes via interstem

1 Like

Winter banana has been used for this. I understand Konrad in Edmonton is now using Palmetta (Russian apple) because it is hardy to -45C so not the dieback issues of Winter banana in cold climates.

Edit: actually that is for pears on apple trees but I think it can go both ways.

2 Likes

Of course I thought the thread was about this:

http://www.bananas.org/wiki/Musa_Williams_Hybrid

2 Likes

First real picking of William Pride this year. This is a good apple here in eastern PA. These fruit are organic, haven’t gotten fire blight, CAR, or any of the summer rots later apples get. The ones hit by curculio have fallen off already, leaving only the good ones. They fill a spot for us just as peaches are finishing up and are a nice change from all the stone fruit. These were picked August 1 and seem perfect.

13 Likes

Your WP look perfect.

1 Like

Glad to see your report. I put WP in last year. Now I’m thinking about another. How would you rate them against later ripening ones?

1 Like

They are great fresh, eat right away or chilled.:slight_smile:

1 Like

I think @scottfsmith has had WP with water core. Mine did not water core much when I had two trees of them. Maybe, it water core more in warmer zones?

If you grow them for sale, you don’t know if your customers will like it or not.

I like the apple, the taste and the look. Mine turned all red.

1 Like

Hey Robert, sorry I missed your message.

I would rate them as easy compared to later ripening ones. The tree has been amazingly easy to deal with. Branches seem to grow in the right spots and at the right angles, there are not many water sprouts, the leaves look pristine even with no spraying, the apples are delicious, big and rot free, and the tree was precocious, growing apples in its third year and every year since (two more years after the first). It has been my easiest and most carefree apple tree. I had a few apples with watercore, but only a few. I think I got around 30 apples off of it this year. My kids eat them and like them. I can’t speak for storage ability because I am not trying to store them long term. Hope this helps.

1 Like

I have had some water core in previous years but none this season.

We like Williams Pride alot, great little apple for this time of year for all the reasons mentioned. Side note…Just had some Redfree the other day as well, my wife is more of an apple snob than me. LOL She says Redfree is a keeper as well.

2 Likes

Redfree is rather bland here, so I have grafted a bunch of other varieties to it. The soil is poor there, so that may be a factor.

1 Like

I think water core is a bonus. It’s like concentrated syrupy apple. Love it. I get some asian pears that water core every now and then.

3 Likes

I can eat water core of any fruit.

I thought you sell fruit. Some of your customers may think your water core apples are defected!!

Not a problem. I’ll just keep those terrible water cores for myself.

How could you tell from outside?
I can’t tell a difference between water core WP and not.

Sometimes they get core spots on the skin, but I guess your right. Didn’t really consider someone else might not want a delicious water core.

Great year for Williams pride apples.

12 Likes