Winter orchard pictures from the Midwest

We desperately needed the moisture after a dry summer here in NE Kansas and this winter we are getting some.

!

15 Likes

Same here Mr. Clark. I thew 6" to 12" areas with my snowthrower already and it’s going to keep coming down.

Two months this summer w/o a single drop of rain and I know you had the same because you didn’t need to spray your pears (or not much at all.) That dry air certainly helps with disease-pests.

Have a good one!

Dax

1 Like

@Barkslip
Watch out for the rabbits Dax the dog and I are on patrol today.

1 Like

I’m going to keep my eye out for a coyote too. One killed my neighbors 13-year old tiny dog. It bit her leg really bad and she was just too old said their vet to deal.

I saw 1/2 of a Bobcat this past Fall. They’re all in southern IL but another sighting in my county told me I was right. I was a mile from my place driving coming around a bend and I saw the back half of one walking into a cornfield. It’s the coyote though that needs to go.

Dax

3 Likes

There are a lot of coyotes this year but we need them here to keep the rabbits down. Everyone is anti fur coats so there is no longer a need or desire to hunt them.

2 Likes

My neighbor’s wife told me she is going to ask her husband to teach her how to shoot a .22

I really didn’t have any plans myself but I told my Mom the story yesterday and to my surprise she said ‘with your cat you don’t want her to get killed so you better shoot it if you see it.’ My Mom is “Mrs. feed every animal in sight on anyone’s property anytime and always has been.” So, I was sort of shocked to listen to her say that.

I’ve seen one Coyote in the 11-years I’ve been here so I doubt I’ll see another anytime soon, but, thanks for your response.

Dax

1 Like

So how much snow did you end up getting? We got maybe one inch early this morning, and most of it has melted. Looks like the heavy stuff bypassed us to the north. Getting a bit of sleet now, but that’s about it.

Speaking of varmits, I caught at least 6 deer down in the barn orchard last night. Our dog was barking at them, so I got the spotlight out and spotted them milling about. I yelled at them and they ran up into the pasture into the tree line. My light highlighted their green eyes as they ran up the hill. Have a feeling it’s going to be a real fight with them this year again. That disease outbreak gave me a respite from them last year, but it looks like they’re back. They’ve already been after my blackberry canes that I have trellised and the ones growing in the yard.

1 Like

@subdood_ky_z6b ,
We have 3-4 inches on the ground at any given time at my location but its melting underneath so it’s like measuring the water in a bucket that’s got a hole in it. Here is a picture showing all the water we are catching underneath. It’s a wet slick snow. @TurkeyCreekTrees now lives nearby and @39thparallel so I do wonder how they are getting along today. I’m told not even 10 miles away friends only had rain and sleet with no snow.

4 Likes

@Peaches sent me this photo from NE Missouri
They have 19 1\2 inches on the ground.

I do wonder how @Olpea and @Derby42 are getting along. @tonyOmahaz5 is further north so I’m hopeful he did not get it worse but its often colder there in the winter. @TurkeyCreekTrees is very close by so it’s likely he experienced the bad drought this summer and this snow.

2 Likes

We got this a couple of weeks ago in south central NE and it started out with quite a bit of rain. The wind was horrible and made some big drifts. Fields blew bare and it blew into the orchard and around the place. The latest round missed us to the east other than some freezing rain.

3 Likes

@clarkinks

I went out and measured the snow this morning and it was about 11", but it’s been snowing all day. I’m not sure how much we have now, but it’s a lot. Watching the Chiefs game. 14-0 right now. Go Chiefs!

Here’s a pic I just took of the back deck.

10 Likes

How lovely!

3 Likes

Nice seeing seasonal pics of your property!

2 Likes

All rain here, just watching the chiefs game!

2 Likes

That’s some deep snow, it has rained and rained here

2 Likes

@JoelC, any snow up your way?

1 Like

Nothing here. But the weather is stil nasty enough to prevent me from doing much today. I was hoping to finish transplanting pawpaws. I traded that idea in for a nap.

2 Likes

We ended up with about the same as olpea, but haven’t had power since last night. I’m going to enjoy the cold peaceful evening, it’s so quiet and calm.

3 Likes

Beautiful but cold.

1 Like

Wow, I don’t think I’ve gotten that much snow total for the whole season and I’m north of Minneapolis.

2 Likes