Wonder where he ordered these trees from? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=yflTu150QZw&app=desktop

15 Likes

Could be the same place where they were selling Cheerios as doughnut seeds. Brady

4 Likes

Lol it may be.

1 Like

The problem in NC is that they are trying to grow them out of optimal range, and marketing them as spring crops.

When we give those trees the right treatment down here, so they ripen just as summer is ending, they are an extremely high value cash crop, in high demand in upscale city markets. Under our very hot summer sun they develop a variegated brown and white crunchy exterior which encloses a warm, melt in your mouth, sweet and silky interior. It’s the highest brix fruit we grow, and sells at a premium to city folk who idealize the thought of camping and cooking around a fire, but are averse to actually roughing it. They are one of those fruits that actually perform better under our summer drought conditions.

Another state that is finding these a valuable crop is Arizona, although it’s trickier for them. They have to time the growing just right in order to avoid monsoon season.

9 Likes

I’ve had trouble finding marshmallow trees in the major catalogs. Is there a better source? I thought about growing some from seeds, and bought a big bag of marshmallows. Not one of them contained a seed. Frustrating. Apparently they were a seedless variety. This is a challenge.

10 Likes

So I assume the Pumpkin Spice ones I saw being sold around Halloween are a different variety or cultivar…right?

2 Likes

They went to far selling pumpkin marshmallow, just not right!

4 Likes

I think those are like Grapples, just soaked in a flavoring agent.

3 Likes

I may plant one and surround it by a Hershey Bar tree and a graham cracker tree in order to increase pollination chances. Smores hybridization is huge right now.

5 Likes

My marshmallow tree is now 8 years old and never fruited. I’m starting to suspect early on the top may have died and now I’m stuck with a rootstock. I’ve been tying the branches down in hopes that will work to make it fruit. I’ve recently heard they grow better on swamp land and a friend may be able to help me out to get some.

3 Likes

Hilarious.

1 Like

I think you can top work it over to a Cotten candy tree, they are both suger trees so they should be compatible. The problem on CC trees is they are more susceptible to rain damage as they ripen.

2 Likes

Seriously, Derby? Those grafts would fail. CC trees can only be grown in the arid southwest. Humidity is their nemesis. If anyone can develop a strain of Cotton Candy tree that can survive in the humid east, their fortune is guaranteed.

4 Likes

I don’t want to get into a heated exchange here but I still think they could be a viable option for Clark if he could provide some late season protection, maybe tarp the tree?

2 Likes

I’ve grown the cotton candy tree for years some call it mimosa of the family Albizia julibrissin. We get large harvests but it does not taste the best so we add the following items
5 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups corn syrup
1 cup water
Pink food coloring
Last year it was unfortunate we all got flu like symptoms right after we ate it and could not stay out of the bathroom long enough to really enjoy the cotton candy.

2 Likes

I can’t seem to locate any trees either! My squirrels, rabbits and deer will be so disappointed!

3 Likes

Speedster,
The story you told me when you sent me the scions for the Hershey bar tree was there was going to be chocolate. There was no chocolate just those pods. I cut one pod open and you know what was in there? Beans that’s what. Other people are having the same problems http://www.cocoapodshop.com. I think you are the victim of tree mislabeling.

4 Likes

Just another good reason why I’m never buying fruit trees from Wal Mart again.

4 Likes

My tomatoes from there are doing fine. They survived the last several snows and besides tasting kind of apple like I can’t complain. They were in the $1 bin. I left them on so long though they turned white inside so that was my fault. Would you like some seed? I read tomatoes produce true to type. When I showed up the tags were blowing around in the bin so it’s a good thing I knew what to look for so I could tell the difference :0)

4 Likes

Anyone finding bargains on marshmallow trees this year? I suspect they may be the best trees for fruit in 2017 due to their high resistance to late freezes. I may go to Wal-Mart and try the fruit first and get used to eating them.

3 Likes