World Record ? Persimmon growth

Anyone know if there is a world record for persimmon growth from bud on scion to shoot tip ?

If there is… I might be approaching that ?

From the bud on the scion to the central leader tip… 9 ft 3 inch.

That is my 8 ft step ladder in the pic.

It is getting dangerous to even tie the tip on now.

Today i put a 6 ft hickory sapling brace pole… on top of the 8 ft pole that had already been put in place.

It has 3 more months to grow.

If i prune it back to 6 ft tall… i am going to have some 1/2 inch diameter scion wood. That will be nice for larger rootstocks. :wink:

TNHunter

18 Likes

Reminds me of the ole Jack and the beanstalk tail.

Maybe you should have headed it months ago. At any rate when you do head it the growth should be worth watching. Or just let it go. Eventually it will come back down one way or another.

5 Likes

All that growth… and i have not fertilized it at all…

Well with nothing but old rotten hay and maple leaves for mulch… and it is just down hill from my compost pile.

Many of my other persimmons have grown in spurts… grow a bit stop a bit… then grow some more. Prok has stopped new growth now for 3 4 weeks. still looks great but no new growth.

This JT02 has not slowed down all year… new growth constantly.

2 Likes

that is great growth, the rootstock was not even so large. I am concerned about the dual central leader form though, I would prune the lower one out and form it after doing a heading cut this year or when side shoots show next year. form it into a central leader or modified with clear side branches at a wide angle. all that growth will be lost when you get a crop in 3 years that splits the trunk wide open.

3 Likes

TNHunter i see you have a fruiting JT-02, could you tell me if the fruit falls off the tree or does it hold on the tree until you pick it. I plant/graft all my persimmons for the deer and really like the size of the fruit on the JT-02 but i don’t want to grow it if the fruit doesn’t fall freely. Thanks

1 Like

@RiverBreak … sorry but my JT02 Mikkosu was grafted this spring. It has grown like crazy… 9 ft +… Hopefully fruits in a couple years ?

All wild americans that i know of drop fruit when ripe… but there are a few wilds here that will keep them hanging on until December before they all drop.

My sisters nice wilds … rich tooie… will drop them slowly for a month and half. The fruit on the south side of the tree ripen and fall first… and on the north side last.

I think most if not all asian… hang on and you have to cut them off.

Hybrids like JT02… i am not sure. I think they may hang on too. I am sure someone else here knows the answer to that.

1 Like

JT02 will not drop when ripe.

3 Likes

@ramv … do you know if that is true for all hybrids and asians ? They hang on and have to be cut off ?

Or are there some hybrids that drop?

I read thru all the persimmon descriptions at nuttrees.net… and on most americans Cliff mentiins details about dropping fruit…

I found no mention of dropping fruit on any of the hybrids… on one he specifically said it does not drop fruit.

1 Like

All the hybrids I grow hold fruit — Nikita’s gift, Kasandra,JT02.
Definitely true of Asians. They don’t drop.
I haven’t yet fruited chuchupaka. I will know this year.
Pretty sure the latest generation of Ukrainian hybrids all hold their fruit.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies That will save me the time of grafting and waiting for fruit. Do you know of any large late dropping varieties thats easy to get scions from? I currently have Prok,Yates,Wonderful,100-46,H118,Deer Magnet, Deer Candy, WS8-10, I grafted Jons pride and early golden this year and them 2 filed so i will try again next year. I also have several wild DVs. I live in south Mississippi.

1 Like

@RiverBreak — sounds like you have or are trying to get … pretty much all the good ones for that from Cliffs list.

Is your Ws8-10 fruiting yet ? I have one of those that I started this spring… looking good, over 6 ft tall now. Just wondering if you know details of when it starts and finished ripening. The only details I have found say… late fall/early winter. I am in TN, so I expect yours will ripen earlier than mine will.

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge, all American persimmons will drop fruit.
Maybe you should grow Deer Candy? Cliff rates it highly.

1 Like

@ramv… looks like he already has deer candy and most of the other nice large late persimmons from Cliffs list.

@RiverBreak if you bow hunt, you may need some earlier dropping persimmons too.

I was a National Staff Shooter for High Country Archery, late 80s, early 90s. 11 time TN State Champ.
Killed nearly 200 deer with bow and arrow.

A deer stand in a persimmon patch… hard to beat.

Most of mine are on their second year so no fruits yet. i just got into persimmons in the last couple years. before that i was planting pears, apples, crabapples and dunstan chestnuts

1 Like

Ya i have went through Cliffs list and ordered all his large fruiting persimmons lol. I have plenty of wild trees that drop from Sept-Nov

1 Like

I looked back at last year and persimmon were later for me for some reason (some varieties were weeks late despite a very hot year). WS8-10 was ready around Oct 21. Maybe the persimmon knew that fall was going to be really long and could just take their time :slight_smile:

I guess some wild ones can hold their fruit much of the winter.

1 Like

@snowflake … looks like I am going to have a nice WS8-10 in my front/side yard at our new home. It will be a short walk to many others tooo.

Thanks for the ripening details.

2 Likes