World's Best Mulberry - who has it?

Bryce has been super generous with spreading cuttings around and I am really curious to know how far it and wide it has gotten. I know it takes a few years before varieties become more widely available. Has this variety spread further than the US?

1 Like

Iā€™m curious to know who likes it. Most reports Iā€™ve heard have not been good.

1 Like

I have it and donā€™t like it.

3 Likes

I have a story to tell here.
Iā€™m a crazy mulberry collector from Russia (its northern part). In 2019 Iā€™ve bought some cuttings at eBay, which were marked as Oscar mulberry. But they came from Thailand, and you knowā€¦ locals have lots of local varieties, thus why do they grow and sell Oscar?

Anyway. That variety appeared to be insanely cool. It gives fruits just at any growth since its first days (like being grafted or so). Berries have great taste even at home growing. Iā€™ve put it to my garden (zone 4, even 3 before nowadaysā€™ warmth) and I dunno if it manages to overwinter here (we have up to -30 degrees of Celsius and even less). The plant is dwarfish, easy to root and looks great. It has leaves of middle size, not as big as ā€œmacrophyllaā€ variety, and all of them have same shape, no ā€œmittenā€ shape or ā€œfig-leafā€ shape, with an elongated end of leaf. If what Iā€™ve read about M. rubra x alba (it should have bigger cylindrical berries and elongated leaf end) is correct, than my ā€œOscarā€ can be such a hybrid.

Anyway, I guess it can be the same variety. If I remember correctly, it came from Thailand too, and can have American roots too. Can anyone please watch my vid to see if my plant reminds Worldā€™s Best? Or Oscar? Or probably anything else? It is in Russian, but thereā€™s nothing to understand thereā€¦ just watch. 56. Oscar ŠæŠ¾Š“ Š·Š°Ń‰ŠøтŠ¾Š¹. Š£Ń€Š¾Š¶Š°Š¹ Š² ŠæŠµŃ€Š²Ń‹Š¹ Š³Š¾Š“ ŠæŠ¾ŃŠ°Š“ŠŗŠø шŠµŠ»ŠŗŠ¾Š²Šøцы! - YouTube

4 Likes

Really, why was that?

Had a look at the video. Iā€™m no expert but it looks great!!!

1 Like

I have two guesses. First, they just wanted to sell to those who were in search for Oscar :smiley: But second guess is that they really had Oscar from somewhere and were propagated it. But the problem is that as I have seen here, Oscars sometimes have lobed leaves, not only whole. My plant has only whole leaves without any fingers.

Oooh, I wish it can survive here.

1 Like

Pluses: extremely productive. And quite early. Quite large in size.

But the flavor is just not there. It feels like eating a wild mulberry. Of all the mulberries Iā€™ve grown or tasted, this comes in dead last.

4 Likes

Wow! Interesting. I wonder if there are regional differences that may account for lack of flavor.

fingers crossed

I would think Worldā€™s Best would be bushier than your tree.

@Jah, Definitively worldā€™s best is not the same as Oscar.
I have Oscar from a proved source, leaves are quite typical and telling

4 Likes

OK, so my ā€œThaiā€™s Oscarā€ is neither Oscar, nor Worldā€™s best. No matter, because it either survives our winter (to -30F/-35C) or not. If it does, it deserves a new name, possibly related to bears and balalaikas (kiddinā€™).

4 Likes

Balalaika Mulberry. I like it

1 Like

Thatā€™s about what I expected. Maybe if I can pull down the water level the taste will improve. Iā€™ll find out this spring.

2 Likes

Never manage to get my hand on worlds best, but Iā€™ve heard itā€™s quite productive but not as tasty. Maybe in different locations, soils, weather, the taste differs a bit

1 Like

IFM,
Performance of various mulberry cultivars can vary from place to place.
An old (now deceased) fruit/nut-growing friend in Flint, MI said that Illinois Everbearing was the worst mulberry heā€™d grownā€¦ but it was my best(now surpassed, IMO, by Silk Hope). He sent me HIS favoriteā€¦ one heā€™d purchased as ā€˜Pakistanā€™, but it most definitely was notā€¦ it was just so-so, certainly not up the the level - in taste or productivity - of IE, in my orchard.
Similarly, ā€˜Wellingtonā€™ mulberry generally gets good reviews; but here, it is not significantly better than any ā€˜wildā€™ M.alba seedlingā€¦ not worthy of even bothering to pick a berry, unless nothing else is ripe at the time.

5 Likes

@Lucky_P Wellington is my worst one also. Crap growth and crap berries

Exactly my experience, as well, Carld.
Iā€™ve often wondered if my Wellington was mislabeled, as Iā€™d always seen good reviews of fruit quality.

1 Like

IE here is my best taste mulberry too. I like that is not ripe all at the same time. I can pick and enjoy fresh mulberries for 1 and 1/2 months. Mulberries growing in less water and sunny area can intensify the flavor.

2 Likes