Would like to grow an apple tree but

I am living in the middle of part of the country that is full of hardwoods and ceder tree’s. This is what i am fighting. Not humoresque.

2 Likes

I am new to fruit tree growing but could you plant an apple tree that is resistant to apple cedar rust? There are others here with way more experienced than me that can help. Hope I am guessing this one right?

1 Like

No, you won’t get rid of cedar apple rust. Nor all cedars
But you can find resistant varieties of apples (or decide to spray).

3 Likes

Go for it… I have apple trees very close to cedar and do get rust.
However CAR usually does not ruin the crop.

Other things will get you first! LOL

2 Likes

I finally found a source for a Melrose apple, thee!!! best, but can not find m27 rootstock.

1 Like

I am newer too. I have the same problem. but never know the reason. I will first to try biological treatment. please see following link.

1. Safely treat most fungal and bacterial diseases with SERENADE Garden. This broad spectrum bio-fungicide uses a patented strain of Bacillus subtilis that is registered for organic use. Best of all, SERENADE is completely non-toxic to honey bees and beneficial insects.
3 Likes

Find B-9 or G41 maybe?

Bob,
M27 is super dwarf (no more than 6 ft tall). I have two apple trees on M 27. They are in ground. Is that because you want to grow it in a pot?

Like the poster above said, B 9 would do. I prefer G 41bbut mine are all in ground.

No, in the ground. We don’t eat a lot of apples, Melrose apple is “ the apple for me”. I grew a lot of apples earlier when I use to live in Chicago area. Japanese tooooo sweet. I don’t have the taste for apples any more. Store bought stuff getting better.

1 Like

I have cedar (juniperus virginiana) near my apples…I guess if I grow some seedlings, I can tell which are resistant quite easily. Looks like the Frostbite apple form Minnesota is pretty susceptible to CAR.

Hi @Daemon2525 can you tell me about CAR!!! I just planted some apple trees not to far from where I have some cedar trees along the edge of my property. I Didn’t know about such a thing of rust otherwise I would plant them on the middle of my yard.

Ruben,
CAR is very common apple disease.

Here’s some info.
http://blogs.cornell.edu/plantpathhvl/apple-diseases/rust-diseases/.

You can either plant CAR resistant apple varieties or spray with chemical like myclobutanil (one of common brands is Immunox). Sometimes, it is difficult to remove host trees, buth cedars and junipers.

Thanks again for your help @mamuang ! I might come back to ask you more about it, I’m new to fruit trees, berries and whatever else is out there so I’m learning as I go along but valuable information and tips are always welcome and appreciated to a better success on growing healthier trees or protect them against all the things that I don’t know like pests, fungus and more.

No problem. I suggest you add your state in your profile, it is helpful for people to give the correct advice knowing the climate you are in.

How can I do that? Thanks

Cedar apple rust is an extremely common disease on the east coast, but as others have said there are many apple varieties that are resistant to it and even for apples that lack resistance it generally isn’t that bad a disease.

This table lists many resistant varieties:

https://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/FSA-7538.pdf

In my yard Golden Delicious and Gold Rush get a fair bit, but Arkansas Black, Enterprise, Liberty, and Mammoth Black Twig get little to none.

2 Likes

Click on your green “R” icon in the upper right, then on the gear wheel in the upper right of the pop-up. Then click on the “profile” link in the left menu. There is a field there called Location where you can enter your location.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the help @scottfsmith / Scott I’m still learning and trying to get the hang of it at the site, I’ll get there eventually with the help of good people like you and others have help me as well! Great place, great Forum good stuff :+1:t2:

Thanks for the info @Ozymandias ! This are some of the varieties that I planted and I don’t know how they are going to do against the cedar apple rust ? This is what I have: Granny Smith, Wealthy and Macintosh.
I also did some grafting recently that a great Soul from this site share with me, some scions of the graftings I did are: Gold Rush, Ark Black, Honey Crisp, Sir prize and Jonagold.

Where will you get Melrose and what rootstock it is on?