Wowza! Dwarf Cherry, any info?

Sorry to hear that. It was fun watching you try…

Scott

1 Like

You can try again next year. That’s a bummer, I was looking forward to seeing those.

1 Like

Bit the bullet and ordered a couple wowza, they were advertised as jumbo and bare root, the bushes I received were neither. Gurneys gave me a gift certificate to alleviate my displeasure…

5 Likes

These Wowza bushes seem to be thinner and lankier. The branches are spread out more than the other bushes. Mine has buds on it this year so maybe I’ll see what the fruit looks like.

4 Likes

Looks good, youve got a head start on mine, by about 2 years it looks like! We had drought last summer so mine barely grew… Nice thing about these canadian cherries is they seem to be relatively drought tolerant, growth slows but they dont die like my honeyberries seem to have done :frowning:

3 Likes

I got to taste them. They are my favorite of all. I don’t think these bushes will produce as many as the others though. I had big crops on my other bushes but those darn chipmunks eat them before they are ripe. It only takes one day for them to pick all the bushes.

1 Like

@Johnnysapples
Better than Juliet? I thought the size was supposed to be the best part about these I didn’t expect taste to be the best of them all. I might have to order one now. $80 though…

1 Like

Just use one of their constantly renewed “limited time offers.” You should be able to get at least 25% off of sticker price.

I used the 50% coupon. I paid $80 for two of them.
@Codym17 In my opinion yes. I should add that I never have been able to truly taste any ripe ones of any of the bushes. The wildlife gets them before that and I taste them when they are red but not dark red. My Woza only had about ten on it and for some reason, that bush didn’t get attacked by chipmunks

2 Likes

They have Wowza on sale right now. Ends tonight! Too bad they won’t ship to Alaska. Sometimes it’s just not meant to be…

i prop my wowza this summer and ended up with about 20 rooted cuttings, plan to do more next summer, likely will have some to share then…

3 Likes

What was your propagation process?

Maybe this has been covered in another thread, but I just I noticed that the recent Gurney catalog now lists the Plant Patent number for Wowza: PP32782.

Searching, this shows us that Wowza was patented in 2019 under the name “Big Red”:
https://patents.justia.com/patent/PP32782

Searching for “Big Red” and Bors gives us this story from Robert about its origin:

My Wowza looks good going into its second winter, but no fruit yet. It’s a replacement for the first one that was lost because I planted it out too soon. It came in spring in full green leaf, I planted it, and then we got very hard freeze that killed it. For the second one (the next year) I waited a lot longer.

1 Like

Disregard

That’s a US plant patent, which is definitely recognized in the US. My understanding is that it’s ok to propagate for personal use, but not to sell or share. I’m definitely not a patent lawyer, so use your own discretion.

2 Likes

I did them in a enclosed timed mist bed with coarse sand as the substrate.

4 Likes

I was just kidding about prop wowza, they were actually carmine jewel in my pictures… Also I was kidding about sending people rooted cuttings…It was all a HOAX!!!

6 Likes

I have suckers coming out of the ground and they are already like a year old anyone know what I should do with them?

1 Like

Lots of people on here would love to have a sucker if you’re just going to get rid of them. Consider me to be one of those.

So is it better I get rid of it, or keep it because I read it steals enery from the tree