Your favorite Gardening HAT ? sun protection, comfort, Cool?

I use the Sunday Afternoons adventure hat mostly because it has a shape that provides the best protection with the least interference, especially when working within the canopies of fruit trees. They come with a lifetime guarantee, but I’m not sure what that means anymore. Nothing lasts forever and I’m holding one right now with a piece of plastic “wire” sticking out of it and that wire no longer allows me to shape the brim the way I want to. I was careless in storing it in my truck and compressing it in contorting ways, so it’s not a true crusher. Sun Protection Hat Experts | Sunday Afternoons

I wear wool crusher hats a lot in the rain and in winter and they really are great. I like the fact that there is no non-biodegradable materials in their construction too. They last a very long time and suffer abuse like no other. https://www.blair.com/product/black-lge?id=52f1843194134588abfc8097f14f8750&skuid=2fe91bc76d1b4e9283cd1a3a70a11def&cid=cs_bl_connexity_shop&cnxclid=16177126252901368544110070302008005

The problem with most of the wool felt crushers is they lack a chin strap. I bought an extremely expensive Akubra with a 4" brim that is made to last a lifetime. I had the mistaken believe that it had a chinstrap. I only use it around the house when I need an umbrella on my head. My wife says I look like a state trooper when I wear it, not really my intention. The company that carries it also carries the best leather and elastic cotton suspenders I’ve ever worn and at a much more reasonable price- actually a bargain and made in Oregon, I believe. The Territory by Akubra

2 Likes

I get this Solaris hat every season for $14.99. It gets so stained with sweat after 1 season that I throw it away and buy another one.

1 Like

Try throwing it in your washing machine. It is our moral duty to wear all of our clothes until they are rags. :wink: (only half kidding, petro based fabrics don’t disappear and shipping used clothes to Africa doesn’t really help anyone. One more tip, keep all polyester out of your drier and sponge clean when it is adequate. Shreds of the stuff are clogging our oceans and metabolisms).

My wife bought me a couple of cheap versions of the identical hat from Costco with a “Sun Protection Zone” label and it is a real bargain. I wear it when I don’t expect to need to squeeze through narrow spaces on my own property. Certainly not an all purpose hat for a fruit grower who often finds themselves pruning trees or working around them.

5 Likes

Floppy hat fan here, I have to get right into fig trees and it is less likely to get knocked off, and protects my eyes, face and back of the neck from dead pointy branches and fig sap.

1 Like

Or just try it because it’s easier to throw it in the wash than to buy a new one. It looks washable to me.

1 Like

Below is a link to one I found on Amazon… 4K+ 4.5 star ratings… 17.99.

Looks promising…

USHAKE 5.5" brim, Nylon, several colors, washable, quick drying, water/stain resistant, lightweight, mesh panels, keeps your head cool, etc…

Definitely looks wide enough to protect as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Hat-UPF-Protection-Waterproof-Fishing-Breathable/dp/B07DB2XYZ2/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=fishing+wide+brim+hat&qid=1617743463&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyRThIUDFSWU5SMEVBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDM1NzQ3R0lZV1FMNjc2WFNXJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzODgzMDZVQkJRQ1VDQzNUUTcmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

It has a chin strap… but also has a pull tab in the back, that lets you custom adjust the fit.

I like how the brim covers your neck in the back… the one I am using now does not reach out that far.

I may have to give this one a try.

TNHunter

2 Likes

I bought one last year,similar to this,advertised on Ebay.Inexpensive and has three pieces.

2 Likes

Thanks for the morality lesson folks! I’d love to see how some of you live so I could analyze every little aspect of your life…no one is perfect! :wink: Happy gardening!!! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

okay, I misremembered. My wonderful floppy hat has a 4" brim on each side, and it’s 4.5" front and back. And it’s off white on top, but black underneath. And I love it, but it’s getting worn out.

I will be checking out some of the other things folks have linked to here.

My gardening hat is an old thing purchased in the 1980s from REI.

It is not in as good of shape as Jed Clampett’s hat.

3 Likes

I bought my husband one of these. It looks like crap . . . but he wore it this weekend and loved it. He got tired of squinting (after 69 years!!!) and finally took the hat plunge.

*Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 7.11.14 AM *

4 Likes

Link? Name?

I don’t need quite that long a tail, but the same company might make something I’d like.

My guys working tree service all wear Dorfman Pacific or Henschel hats.
They are the same style, a wide cloth brim and vented crown. These hold up to hard use, like hauling massive loads of brush on their shoulders, or logs. They like the flexibility of the cloth brim in the trees too.

The Henschel is a usa made hat and a little more expensive. They are great quality though.

1 Like

I like the look of the Henschel Hats… but that one has a 2.5" brim.

I found that I had a decent fishing hat in the garage (Magellan brand) that has a 3.5" brim.

I have been using that and it works fine. Would love one of those Henschel Hats with a 4-5" brim but not sure they make that. I looked but had no luck finding them.

TNHunter

3 inch might be as good as they get.

I don’t think anyone thinks you’re a bad person, just that those types of hats can really be scrubbed throughout the season. I used to toss mine in the washer or soak it in the sink with a bit of white vinegar. Besides, washing your hat frequently is good for your skin. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It wasn’t a morality lesson, just some common sense pointers. My goal is getting the most bang for the buck in my gardening and attire is part of the buck.

As far as tips about the environment, it isn’t about morality for me (I have no pedestal), it is about being practical about resources. If plastics are polluting our oceans it isn’t necessarily a matter of morality that we should attempt to reduce that, it is just common sense in protecting our resources.

There is a fine line between self-righteous preaching and just trying to spread common sense behaviors but I think most of us would agree that Americans buy and dispose of too much crap that mother earth does not find particularly digestible. Whether one relates that with morality or not.

3 Likes

Stop harassing me and get a life.

2 Likes

OK enough of that detour and time to get back to the topic of hats…

Here is the hat I use.

It is a lifeguard hat. My #1 goal beyond protection is not getting too hot, I figure lifeguards have that foremost as well.

1 Like

I love my Outdoor Research hat. Wouldn’t trade it for another! Featherlight, crushable, open enough weave to get a breeze through and so comfy I forget I have it on.

3 Likes