Your favorite Gardening HAT ? sun protection, comfort, Cool?

You can provide more info on this hat? This is the kind of hat I am looking for, thanks.

@Chris_in_GA and @Ginda

I found this one on Amazon. I couldn’t find the exact link - but here is a screenshot of the product I bought. - He loves it! (The link to the page takes you to some other hat. ?) But this is the one I bought.

1 Like

Took a little road trip and stopped to eat lunch at a cracker barrel. Found this hat with a 4 inch brim. Very light, comfortable, fits perfect, good ventilation for cooling when hot. 20 bucks. Gold coast sunwear www.gcsunwear.com.

The band looks a little girly to me … may have to change that out for some camo… or just remove it.

TNHunter

3 Likes

I have a hand-me-down Tilley that fits great and has a big brim, but I’ve been wanting to get something with a neck flap (whatever that’s called)

I’ve been wearing this one lately, for what it’s worth. The 6-inch brim really keeps the sun at bay. I have a smaller, softer hat that I wear when I’m working among branches.

I started using a sunscreen called “Sun Bum”. It has has items in it that are not considered carcinogenic. There are some sunscreens that have some ingredients that turn my clothes orange since I live on a well. So I have to watch what sunscreens to use.
It does a good job so far.

1 Like

Dermatology resident here. I highly suggest to anyone wearing wide brimmed hats for sun protection to only get brands that have official UPF ratings (generally UPF 50 is best). Unfortunately, many hats are not woven tight enough and can allow plenty of UV radiation through which can cause skin cancer.

4 Likes

I got this hat for cutting the grass, the earbud Bluetooth were driving me crazy so I wanted a noise canceling Bluetooth headset to listen to music while cutting the grass that covered my entire ear. The hat actually sits a little loose on my head which gave more airflow, it does have a drawstring that goes under your chin however I’ll only wear it when cutting the grass and the headphones kept it securely on my head. Is actually cooler than some of my other large hats I think that’s because it doesn’t sit snug around my head. I wish the front bill was a couple inches larger, but the hat protected me from the sun from 11:00 to 3:00 then I noticed it starting to get on my chin and nose when riding into the sun direction.

2 Likes

Who makes it and where to order.

I bought mine from Amazon.

3 Likes

Just what I was looking for. TY for posting this.
I believe I will order one before I forget to do this before I really need one next spring.

1 Like

Can you also wear eye protection goggles along with ear muff protectors when wearing this hat? I seem to get all tangled when wearing both.

Husqvarna 592752601 Forest Head Protection Helmet , Orange https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079791HXB/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_ZAGVTSHQ9H08BRXTJX96

This is what we use at work for chainsaw work that has ear and eye protection. I’m not sure if there are a lot of options that also include shade protection, but you could put a buff around your neck in addition to this setup.

I’m not sure about goggles or ear muff protectors, I just wear the headphones to drowned out the tractor loud noise and listen to music. As long as the goggles have elastic bands I believe they would work with my headphones with this hat. My headphones cover my ears completely I can wear sun glasses but they’ll be under the earmuffs pressing against my head, little uncomfortable. It’s a little task putting it all on however when I get on my tractor I stay on there for 2 to 3 hours so it’s not that big of a deal.

You could strap one of these on top (just kidding)! I have several of these - and when I wear one I feel like a ‘dog with an Elizabethan cone on my head’! LOL
But - it sure keeps the sun out of my face!

1 Like

Replying to my own post because I need to rescind my OR hat recommendation. They are OK until they get wet, then they turn into tissue paper that breaks if you look at them funny. I almost ripped my hat in half when I tried to shake the water off of it after it fell into my pool.

1 Like

Could you give me a little more info about Alex’s amazon hat? I can’t fond the thread you were referring to
Thanks

I bought a few of these about a month ago. I have not tried them yet because my mower has been in the shop all this time, mower part back ordered. Uggg

1 Like

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Protection-Outdoor-Waterproof-Breathable-Packable/dp/B07QF6H5RX?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Thank you

1 Like