Your favorite persimmon?

Thank you, Jose. If I were to visit all the places you mentioned I would need to be there for several weeks. That cold only happen after I retire which won’t come fast enough.

Look like you are very well-connected :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I love Spanish jamon with freshly picked figs, eat this combination for breakfast almost every day during the fig season (July - September).

3 Likes

Annie,
Just saw this. I generally do not peel persimmon so weird shape ones does not discourage me :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

Where I am, we don’t have many persimmon choices. I can say that this one tasted much better than Rojo Brillante (both store-bought).

My thought is that RB were picked way too early. I can still see lot of greenish skin on them but astringency was removed.

1 Like

Tippy,Hopefully I be able to send you this coming fall some tree ripened r/b.s.

3 Likes

Bob,
That is very nice of you. Thank you. Your persimmon trees are very beautiful and bountiful.

Natural RB are wonderful soft ripened. The artificially non-astringent ones at the store cannot compare.

1 Like

@PharmerDrewee,
I put store bought RB in a bag with a cup of vodka. I hope that would help soften the fruit.

One thing I learned AFTER doing that was a suggestion was to use 1-2 tbsp for 20 lbs of persimmons. I used almost a cup of vodka for 6 persimmons. They will be vodka-flavored persimmons in a few days

2 Likes

About what time of year do your RB’s ripen in Arkansas?

They starting to ripen the latter part of October till November and into December. Fruits can handle freezing temps to about 27*.

2 Likes

@Jose-Albacete is an very experienced grower and has kindly provided us with lot of good info including about persimmons.

Jose and other think this persimmon could be Triumph. I looked up Triumph pics and felt they don’t look the same. This persimmon has more pronounced ribs.

Comparing store-bought to store bought persimmons, this variety tasted sweeter than Fuyu. I will choose this variety over Fuyu anytime.

6 Likes

Tippy, here are some similar ones I saw in Chinatown. They are marked as Sharoni.

I preferred the texture of the Rojo Brillante from California to these.

7 Likes

Andrew,
All I can say is the Sharoni I bought were more curvy :joy:

3 Likes

I agree with both of you @mamuang and @PharmerDrewee. 1-Sharoni coming from Spain, specially when dark orange, slightly soft and pollinated (I ate ones that have seeds before) is amazingly sweet and delicious. They are also big in size and look just like the photos posted by both of you. 2-Rojo Brillante that comes from Spain, is mostly under ripe and underwhelming. I also have never encountered a pollinated one. 3-Rojo Brillante from California, which I found in the market first time this year, is mostly pollinated (no seeds, but brownish interior), is excellent! I love both 1 & 3, can’t prefer one over the other, also both are the best Asian persimmons that I have ever eaten (but I have only tried half a dozen varieties or so). Photos of RB below, note the brown coloration. Some times the brown color is all over the fruit.

6 Likes

Hi mamuang.
Those Triumph persimmons (Sharon or Sharoni) have such pronounced ribs, because they carried out a very strong work of thinning small fruits, to obtain more size and commercial quality.
These persimmons are above the standard size, and for that reason their lobes have developed more.

Yes, I totally agree with you, Rojo Brillante is much better persimmon than Sharon.

You have to try the Beterá-3 persimmon variety, it has stratospheric taste qualities hahahaha

Regards
Jose

4 Likes

Hi, I‘m new to the forum.
I live in Germany and try all sort of cold hardy fruits as many of you I guess, persimmons, acca s. figs, pomegranate, pistachios…

What really got my attention was the posting from
Jose-Albacete about the Betera 3 persimmon cultivar. I’m looking for this cultivar because it should be bigger and sweeter than rojo brillante.
Does it taste better than rojo brillante too?

3 Likes

I don’t know if that variety is available in the US, I haven’t heard of anyone carrying it. It’s possible our other European members might be able to point you in the right direction! @Arhus76 @Harbin

I grafted the Betera 3 variety. But the tag is gone. I no longer know where he is. I am waiting for the fruits to validate the variety.
This cultivar is only available in the genetic base in Spain. To my knowledge this variety is not sold.

2 Likes

It is quite common among Spanish growers (I know several people who grow it) and they all spoke highly of it. The thing I don’t understand is, if it’s so good why it did not spread worldwide.

1 Like

I understand that the people who asked the IVIA for it signed a non-distribution agreement. And the IVIA only gives the Spanish varieties to individuals. Reason for this non-distribution.
Only professional nurseries generally have access to these cultivars.
In their list I also have Constanti which is excellent and La Selena 14.

Thanks for the answers.
I don’t understand either why this cultivar is not more spread.

I would really like to know how the Betera 3 taste. Of course taste is individual but I’m not a
vine-drinking-taste-guru. Simple I would like to know if it sweet and has a strong/aromatic distinct “kaki”-flavor

I spent hours on the ivia website. Because of there very detailed information about this cultivars

Ones I had a Kirakaki but it died in the winter here.

I read also about the cultivars Constanti and La Selva 14 according to the website and has similar feature as Betera 3 in fruit sizes and harvest time.
Please Arhus76 can you describe the taste?

1 Like