Your favorite persimmon?

I’m not going to be nice.
Constanti is one of my favorites. I don’t know if I put it at the same level or below Nikita’sgift. But really very good.

La Selena 14… First fruits this year. Big production, the branches broke. Very good too.

2 Likes

Thank you,

then I‘m happy that I have at least Nikita’s gift :slightly_smiling_face:

I wish I could be a help and give useful informations about this topic.
But here persimmons need much longer to grow and producing fruits
My Nikita’s gift fruited for the first time this year, after 5 years
I have 11 cultivars but some grow very slowly
Only Nikita’s gift, Roseyanka, 100-46, Meader and Kostata produced some fruit.
I can at least tell that Kostata is not my favorite, it is very dry and not juicy

1 Like

I would still say Garretson #1
H118 Great flavor but won’t set fruit when it’s super hot over 100 F
Szukis tons of fruit this year and lasted until Nov 30th. Small fruit on a small tree#3
Early Golden tastes good, not great and not much fruit #4
NC-10 Campbell’s Early-I chopped hardly any fruit not early here.

John S
PDX OR

I read in other forums about the kyung San Bansi or Kiung San Bansi.
Many said it is the best asian persimmons.
Is it really that good?

I like the american persimmons more, because they have more complex flavor.
I hope someday someone will breed an american persimmon with the size of a big asian persimmon.

2 Likes

I’m interested in trying Kyung San Ban Si as well for its size and reported taste qualities. Also mentionable is its proven cold tolerance at the Wye research center.

I did come across notes where it reported it needed pollination to set fruit though. Not sure how true that is but something to consider.

I was once given a fruit from Kyung San Ban Si. It was very floral for a kaki and delicious.

6 Likes

I read too that it needs pollination for fruit production.
Maybe someone can tell if it is true.

Kyung San Bansi is on my persimmons bucket list.

It is a female Kaki from Korea. No needs for cross pollination unless you wanted seeds.

1 Like

Mazugata is another delicious PCA variety. It’s sweet, relatively firm when astringency is lost, and the flesh is free of fibers. There’s something extra in the flavor that gives it some richness or spice. I can’t quite put my finger on it.

6 Likes

Hi, you ate both Kyung San Bansi and Mazugata. Which one do you like more?

I really don’t know to be honest. It was been a couple years since my sample of KSBS.

1 Like

Any chance you’ve seen any male blossoms on the Mazugata. It might not be the same as the first persimmon in the Irvine orchard tour by Dave Wilson, but what they say about the taste sort of sounds right. They do spell it with an S though.

2 Likes

Mine did not produce any males but it’s still a young tree growing in a large pot. There also wasn’t any dark flesh around its seeds whatsoever. I’m not sure it’s the same as the tree in the video. I was actually originally interested in it because of that video, and hoping it was a cold hardier option for a pollinator that also produces good fruit. It has a history of surviving in marginal kaki lands.

2 Likes

Jin Yong & Tam Kam
Morris Burton, Lena, H-63A
I don’t know hybrids yet.

2 Likes

I plan to buy our first Persimmon tree next week…but don’t know which to pick. I should mention that Hollybrook Orchard seems to supply all the garden centers nearby, so we are limited to their 7 varieties. That means we can buy either one of their 4 Asian varieties, or one of their 3 American-hybrid varieties. Please suggest which one YOU would plant. I only have room for one more tree since we are replacing one of our dead pear trees and so a space opened up. We are in zone 7A and hope to find a persimmon that will produce fruit within 3 years (like our peaches which produced within 2-3 years). I am not sure whether astringent or non-astringent. I had assumed that astringent meant not-edible. The more edible the better since our fruit trees are meant mostly for the grandkids.

1 Like

What are your 7 options? I didn’t see them listed on the Hollybrook website.

1 Like

I received scionwood of this variety this year. Is it different from Tam Kam? Anyone can provide info?

1 Like

I have a persimmon question. I just got my first tree the other day. It is almost 7ft tall and a single stem. It looks like all the side branches were recently snipped (for scions?). Should I trim it while dormant or let it ride a season? Thank you for your input.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that if a persimmon tree is topped, it shoots out branches in all directions in a rather ungainly fashion. You can keep trimming it if you like.
Alternatively leave the tree alone and it will branch out fine. It depends on whether you want it to look like a tree or a shrub.

2 Likes

Not counting my cuttings before they hatch, but looking promising:
Giombo:

3 Likes