Zhanhua Dongzao set so many fruits naturally first time

The second generation of Zhanhua Dongzao is still the best jujube so far. The third generation is on its try. The main problem of the second generation of Zhanhua Dongzao is very difficult to set fruits. I had this variety about five years. I just got a few fruits in the past years.
This year it is surprisingly full of fruits. I did nothing. No fertilizer, no GA. My friend said the spot that I plant this jujube is very good. I should dig up the tree and plant a money tree. This friend gave me the Scions of Zhanhua Dongzao. He never had this luck to let his Zhanhua Dongzao trees to set fruits naturally.

9 Likes

Sophia,
Congrats.

What does your “very good” planting spot look like? I hope we don’t need Feng Shui for a location of a jujube tree :joy:

5 years for this variety?

It is a joke. I think it is the God’s makeup since we had a very harsh winter and spring. I lost many varieties this year.

I know it’s a joke. I was joking about Feng Shui, too. Look forward to hear your review of its taste.

I tasted it before. I got fruits in the past five years, just a few. Super sweet and crunchy!
I wrote before that I couldn’t stop eating Zhanhua Dongzao when I visited China. The fruits on my tree tasted much better than from the market. The best jujube so far. This year I hope I can enjoy myself to the full. Like this jujube so much!

3 Likes

How did the third generation do compared to the second generation last year in taste, fruit set and ripening time?

Is the first generation the same as Dongzao/ Dong?

3rd generation is about 20 days ripened earlier than 2nd. And easier set fruits. Doesn’t need a lot of professional management to set fruit. Taste the same crunchy and sweet.
2nd and 3rd taste much better than 1st, also bigger size.

2 Likes

Is there any way to buy 3rd generaton Dongzao 沾化冬枣?

Does anyone know about Sandia jujube recommended by Dr Yao @ New Mexico? I wonder the Chinese name for it.

I have 3rd generation three years ago. I have some trees on sell after the trees go to dormancy.

1 Like

I purchased a few trees from @Sophia2017 earlier this year. These were purchased bare root. In reality they barely had any roots! They were hastily thrown in a box and shipped with no moisture around the
roots.

They appeared to have been ripped out of the ground and extremely unhealthy. I tried to heel them in in sawdust prior to potting them in early spring. They promptly rotted and died.
When I reached out to Sophia that these plants were unhealthy and I would like to get replacements when possible, she proceeded to accuse me of not knowing how to grow plants and that I had killed them etc.
From private correspondence, numerous others have had a similar experience with her.

Buyer Beware.

1 Like

I’m very busy till recently I finished grafting. I wanted to expose you here. You are a liar. You went to PayPal by using the photos of the rotten roots and died trees after around one month and half to testify he received the dead trees. I said the loquat is green when I sent you. You should contact me right away if you receive dead trees in true. Not after one month and a half.
He said he tried to heal the trees in sawdust. I don’t know if sawdust is the best healing medium. I checked website. But I didn’t find any information. If you planted into soil. I might refund or sent new trees to you.
You got all money back by cheating photos. PayPal support buyer doesn’t mean you are right.
On this website, several guys bought my trees.
They can testify for me. If it is my responsibility, I never evaded.
From now, I won’t sell any trees to you. I have many rare varieties I will propagate in the future and sell here and online.
Please visit my etsy store: https://foodgrower.etsy.com/

I bought Dong 3rd and Panzao jujubes from Sophia last year and they were healthy. One of them was very late to break bud and had me worried, but they grew healthy. I actual got a few panzao fruit from the tree in a pot. The shape and size is definately panzao, but the wildlife ate them before me :cry:

1 Like