Zuccalmaglio's Renette

I noticed something interesting about this variety. We had an early Hard Freeze in October of last year. Most of the apples harvested after the freeze deteriorated quickly in storage. Zuccalmaglio seemed to be totally unaffected by the Freeze thaw cycle. It kept well through Spring. I found a few in the back of the fridge this summer that were still edible. The fruit is choice for us among other very late ripening varieties. I’m thinking it may have high value in food plots. I left a good number of apples on the trees to see how it hangs through the winter and how it withstand multiple freeze thaws.

I’m wondering who else is growing it and what their experience has been with it? It’s pretty rare in the US but, I’m sure there are other people like me who occasionally order scion based purely on interesting names. Plus, it’s usually the very last apple variety listed.

They always finish well and it seems to have good disease resistance. Attractive smaller apples that look similar to Pink Lady. I had originally guessed it might from Australia because it ripens with Crrips Pink and Lady Williams.

Here is the Wikipedia translated from German :

The Grevenbroich engineer Diedrich Uhlhorn Jr. (1843–1915), not to be confused with his grandfather of the same name, the inventor Diedrich Uhlhorn (1764–1837), bred the apple in 1878 from an attempt at crossing the Pineapple Renette and the Purple Agata Apple and named this new noble variety after his father-in-law, Justice Vinzenz Jakob von Zuccalmaglio .

The fruit
The fruits of the Zuccalmaglios Renette are small to medium-sized, rounded to egg-shaped, 6–7 cm in size. Tapered on the calyx side, flattened on the stem side. Stem woody, thin and usually short. Peel greenish yellow, lemon yellow when ripened, yellow-red washed out on the sunny side. The flesh is yellowish-white, juicy, aromatic with a harmonious sugar-acid ratio. Harvest time is late, late October to early November, and its long ripening period from November to March makes it an excellent winter apple.

The tree
The growth of the tree is weak, insensitive to pests and diseases. However, satisfactory harvests can only be expected on good soil that is richly supplied with water and nutrients. The tree also needs regular pruning care. Thinning out the fruit makes sense because of the high fruit set. Otherwise the fruits will remain too small. Recommended for home gardens, but of no importance in commercial fruit production today.

15 Likes

Thanks for the report. What a great name!

2 Likes

I agree with you Richard, great name! Love the stories behind the apple as well.
Lovely looking apple.

1 Like

How is the flavor on these? Different sources go for “grape-like” while others go “strawberry, pear, and quince”.

They are choice fresh eating apples, close to top tier. White crisper flesh balanced flavor. They do have some mild aromatic flavor. I always associated them with pink lady because they have similar appearance and harvest time, but zuc probably is lower acid.

2 Likes

I watched Zuc last Fall to see how long it would hang and how the fruit quality was after several freeze / thaw cycles. Fruit hung until the end of November and still tasted great. Here are some photos of it Nov 9th to 19th https://photos.app.goo.gl/XAbPxHuu1Hznz99J6

4 Likes

Based on your pictures and ripening times I highly doubt this is zuccalmaglios renette. In southern germany mine ripen in early october and don’t have more than a light reddish blush. They slowly turn from green to a rich yellow before they ripen. I can look for a picture of mine tomorrow

scheißen! You may be right. It looks more like Winter Apple. Winterapfel 'Baumanns Renette

1 Like

Yes that could be it.
Here’s a not so great picture of my zuccalmaglio

3 Likes

I had previously compared it to this USDA image here. It didn’t look that far off because the USDA images are often under ripe image

4 Likes

I had my first decent crop of Zuccalmalio’s last year. It was quite sharp off the tree, but mellowed to lovely fruity flavor after three months. I ate the last of them two weeks ago and it remained in fine shape, crisp, juicy and still had a decent amount of fruity/floral character. I really like it and will graft it further into my orchard.

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused by the discussion. Mike, is the 39th parallel tree still Zuc, like you thought?

Probably not. This is one of the apples I want to send in for DNA testing. I suspect it’s actually an Australian Apple. It’s most Similar to Lady Williams and Cripps Pink.

2 Likes