2020 pick of the day

I can feel the heat all the way to France!

4 Likes

I didn’t pick this fruit, but it sure is delicious. This is keitt mango. Selling a Whole Foods right now for 2.99 each. That’s a steal in my opinion. Some of these mangos weigh 2 lbs. good flavor and texture. Wish I could grow mangos like I grow peaches and plums.

10 Likes

Victoria peach. Grafted two years ago. Ended up with one peach. Needs to ripen a bit more but come on, it’s the end of September. I can wait no longer.

9 Likes

I have this tree as well, but only second year so no fruit. Will be curious to hear a report on the flavor. Looks very yellow, which is surprising.

1 Like

Some of my Autumn Star picked this am. The color of my peaches is often paler because they were bagged with Clemson paper bags.

21 Likes

The line up. The first 3 picked today and the last 2 a few days ago.

10 Likes

For those who wonder what happened if you don’t thin your fruit.

Here’s the evidence. Somehow, I left too many PF 24 (on the left) on the tree. Autumn Star (on the right) was thinned well. It has compromised the taste of the unthinned/not thinned enough fruit, too.

8 Likes

Wish I would have read that last year before I bought one.

1 Like

That’s my favorite. I get them at a local market 4 for $5. Unfortunately they are now all sold out.

1 Like

It’s not a bad nectarine, just nothing special in my opinion. It does flower a lot, so that is nice.

2 Likes

After the heat wave and the fires, the weather cooled down just a little, still around 100F, and all the trees went crazy. There are new flowers on apple, pear, plum and pluot trees, mixed with the green and burning brown leaves. It is fun to see but I don’t think the new fruits will get big enough later.
We still have plums and asian pears that are good on the trees. Most of the apples and persimmons in the containers are burned badly because they are new, but the ones in ground are getting big.

Asian pears, the last bell pepper, and some tomatoes.

Hachiya persimmon: burned but sweet enough and not astringent

Arkansas Black: I know it is too small and not ripe yet but someone wanted to taste. The skin is a little thick, but the fruit is not bad, crunchy and no bitterness.

The following are not grown by me.

Vietnamese Guava: from my sister back yard about 15 miles from my house. My fruits are still like thumb size, and the tree was air layered from hers. I only like this variety for white guava. The fruits are small because of the heat, but the taste and texture are very good, not so many seeds. I eat the whole thing, but my husband and daughter want the seeds removed. The chili salt made by ny sister is not needed, because the fruits are so sweet and not sour at all.

Longan: from the tree of my husband’s sister in Santa Ana: very sweet but a little dry. My place is too hot for longan. We have a tree that is more than ten years old and the most we have is six fruits for one year, even when there were some flowers. A new little tree actually has about 20 fruits, but they are not ripe yet.

Bee on new apple flower

New asian pear fruitlets

15 Likes

Stunning!

Tippy, your peaches are very cleaning, no scab, no bug bite and attractive color. Any comments on their flavor?

that persimmon and fresh Longan look so delicious

1 Like

I got better at bagging Autumn Star and close the opening tightly. Bugs and rain could not get in. Have much better rsult of clean fruit than PF 24 C.

Not closing the bags tightly, bugs can climb in and moisture could get in. My PF24 C had a lot of bug damage and brown rot (after 2 sprays of Indar before bagging.

I will do a taste testing this afternoon with neighbors and will report here.

Santa Ana and Garden Grove in Socal are where you find all the fruit trees from South East Asia planted in the backyards. The climate are perfect for them. I am happy at my place though, since nearly all my in-laws live there. :wink:
This is a small part of her tree. She does have an opossum comimg from the neighbor’s roofs at night to share some of the fruits, but the tree is too tall and big to do anything.

11 Likes

@IL847,
Did the peach taste testing this evening. 7 people participated. I skipped because I am peached out.

17 Likes

What is that potted tree to the right,in the second photo,may also be in the first one,too?Are those bagged fruit,at the top?Nice little orchard.bb

1 Like

What is considered too hot for Longan please?

1 Like

I am sorry I couldn’t find the reference. I read before from one vendor, advising not to buy the plant if the temperature can be <50For >95F.
There will be a lot of other factors. My yard is on the windy hillside, and the typical temperature from June to November can be over 100F. The big tree in the ground had flowers but rarely set fruits. I have a new smaller one in container, set on the grass in the shade, hiding from the wind. That one has fruits this year, so that may help.
If you like to plant the tree, please ask the vendor about your microclimate for advice.
Thanks for asking, I wish I could give you more information, but I really don’t know much.

1 Like