2020 pick of the day

Are you in NH or Tunisia?

2 Likes

The bagged tree is the Gold Rush apple on M 7.

1 Like

Currently in Tunisia, it’s a warm climate but the summers are extra hot and dry for few days ~104F.

3 Likes

Online there are many articles on the use of different techniques, including chemicals, to induce flowering and fruiting commercially in countries like Thailand or Indonesia. I prefer not to deal with those. If I can’t get reasonable amount of fruits in a few years, I will try other type of fruit trees. I have had them from different sources, they are very sweet but the flavor is monotonous, some can be a little better but not much…

1 Like

@mrsg47,
This one for you.

It fell today. Not a pretty one.

4 Likes

Stayman or Stayman’s Winesap. One of about 25 I’ll hopefully get this year…

9 Likes

Some pomegranate varieties, most of which are fruiting for the first time. I really liked Azadi, it’s sweet type so almost no acidity but very fruity flavor with strong floral notes.

A bucket of Bala Mursal. It has hard seeds but the flavor is addictive. One of just a few hard-seeded varieties I still keep.

17 Likes

I love them. I have seven on my tree right now and they are just getting lumpy. They are sooooo good to cook with! I believe you have a baker in your house who will make you a fabulous pie! They are so good. Congrats!

1 Like

Picked several fruit today. Here are a few.

The first one is an unidentified russeted apple.

17 Likes

Still picking candy heart pluerry. This fruit is amazing. Maybe I am crazy, but I do taste dark cherry when it is fully ripe. I have been picking these for over a month. So far everyone who tastes our fruit prefers the candy heart and sweet treat over everything else in the plum family. I tend to agree.

15 Likes

Wonderful! (Not the pom :slight_smile: ) But with so many varieties, how can you tell when a pom is ready for picking?

2 Likes

Experiment and after gaining the experience you will be able to tell by looking at the fruit.

1 Like

My sister has a few trees. She said the fruits of most varieties have to be big and dark red. Then you can pick one to see if you like the flavor and sweetness, or to wait a little more.

1 Like

I started cleaning up the ashes on the fruits hanging on the trees. Most of the apples are in ziploc bags but the ashes got in somehow.

Fuji apple: dropped while I tried to remove the burned ones. The skin is surprisingly thin, the texture light, the inside not so sweet and just a tiny sour; in other words, not what I expect from a regular Fuji apple. We have had this tree in ground by itself for more than thirty years, and the fruits were never like this. We have more than a dozen varieties in containers around it this year, and I really don’t know which one pollenized it.

Vietnamese pink guava: freshly picked from my sister’s tree. Very juicy and sweet, but not for the person who doesn’t like seeds because the center part is sweetest.
The tree is loaded so she only waited for me to say “yes” so she could unload some fruits. That is the reason I don’t have to plant this tree. She has this much or more from this tree everyday

13 Likes

A neighbor put these tomatillos up for grabs. I’ll be roasting and freezing them for later use. I’m grateful, as my tomatillos harvest was small this year. I’ll also save seeds from the purple ones to see if I can select for that.

9 Likes

Still picking plums! This is a ripe Emerald Beaut. Very sweet and crunchy, but still has a bit of acid to give it balance. Measured 21 brix. That’s right where I like plums. Any more and it becomes too much.

14 Likes

We picked the rest of the Elephant Heart this morning so we can remove the hardware cloth wrappings and clean up the yard. The ones in the two big containers are still firm. They will be very good cold from the fridge.
Note: my daughter likes the pink guava, seeds and all. I like it better than the white one, very moist and sweet enough for a cold.summer treat.
Even the bearded dragon likes it better than watermelon, without the seeds. We don’t have to buy watermelon just for him anymore. The store-bought watermelons this summer have no taste or sweetness.
They make the fridge smell like guava, which I don’t mind because it reminds me of the tree we had back in Vietnam, but can be too much for other people.

14 Likes

We ate our Victoria Peach over the weekend. It was very good. Dense, sweet and acidic. I wish I had more of them. I think you will be happy with it.

3 Likes

Che fruit… :yum:

Kiwi baby

7 Likes

Wow, is the Che a fruit I should consider?

2 Likes