2020 pick of the day

I think it’s a Hachiya, made me feel a sugar spike on the spot.

8 Likes

Hi! I think this fruit is very variable. It takes a lot of time to get viable fruit… and you have to get a grafted tree to get seedless fruit.
It seems i’m lucky… i love it!

2 Likes

Harvested Korean Giant today. The largest is about a pound and half. Most are in between half pound to one pound range.
Picked last few of Dripping Honey and Yoinashi as well. This year, Yoinashi is a winner in my garden, and Dripping Honey is the least favorite.

12 Likes

Your fruit llok great.

My KG are all small. Thought I thinned enough but obviously not :confounded:

3 Likes

Picked Harrow Sweet on 20200918 and refrigerated. Today I took two small ones out and they were great. Three week in storage made a big difference in taste.

2 Likes

If they could stay on the tree for another week would be great but the animals are in the yard often recently.I am afraid of waking up in the morning and discovering that all the fruits are gone. So I beat them and pick the fruits off the tree early😀.

2 Likes

This is not really pick of the day, rather is dig of the day😆
Dug up two Jerusalem artichoke plants. Harvested bagful of the roots. I am sure there still more somewhere huding in the groud

10 Likes

@Auburn,
I just ate my HS,too. Refrigerated over a week ago. The soft one had brix at 21, excellent.

@IL847, the good thing about KG is that it has a long picking window. Mine has already tasted good over a week ago. I have been picking them almost eveyday. Some years, I left some one until Nov. they still taste good.

2 Likes

Good to know. I left 5,6 much smaller ones on the tree just want to compare the taste/sweetness/texture in couple of weeks later.

2 Likes

My daughter and I only finished about half the pink guava when yesterday my sister gave me another big box, with the direction “Eat the good ones, and throw away the rest”.
The old ones were getting soft but still good, and I know they were chemicals free, so I tried to make jam last night.
I scooped out the center parts, which were very sweet, and used the food mill with very little water to remove the seeds. It tasted wonderful after boiling and some sugar. We will use that with ice for a drink.
I put the outter parts with the skin in a pot to boil with water to soften. It was 2am when I tasted the liquid. It was somewhat bitter and the smell was off. I used the hand blender a little but nothing got better. I was too tired to throw it away. Today I finally tasted it again late in the afternoon. The smell was gone, and it tasted very pleasant. I pureed the whole pot and asked my husband, who doesn’t like pink guava, if it was good enough to make jam, and the answer was yes. The texture and color is like sweet potato, after boiling and sugar added, and the flavor is good. We will keep it in the freezer to mix with yogurt for breakfast later .
Tonight I asked my sister to air layer one pink guava for me when the weather is appropriate. She is old and will move closer to her children when the time comes. Her white and pink guavas are the best I have had since I came here .

Jam from the center parts

Jam from the outer parts, about twice the other type

Edit
I know it is such a waste to throw away good fruits, but the food bank doesn’t want guavas. Her neighbors only take what they can consume, and our family are far away. Like the Garnsey figs, the pink guava will get bad easily without refrigeration. Somehow there are no birds around her place this summer.There are many fruits ripening and dropping each day to clean up. She has to cut down some branches today to lessen the work. From her experience, I will put mine in a container when I get it.

5 Likes

I have one Korean Giant and it isn’t very big.

I can’t blame it on lack of thinning :slight_smile:

1 Like

I still have a couple hundreds (after thinned off thousands).

I know from experience, it will be a lean year for KG next year. I want to kick myself for not thining more rounds.

2 Likes

My family took a home school field trip to the orchard. Got too many Braeburn, Fuji, Arkansas black, winesap, and Honeycrisp apples. I love how important apples have become in our lives.

9 Likes

planted 3 red tubers and 3 white. they grew to 6ft. but didn’t flower. how long do you let them grow before harvesting? these were planted in may.

1 Like

I harvest them after they flowered. They can be left all winter and dug up as long as the ground doesn’t frozen up

2 Likes

10 Likes

I don’t know why, but that picture has me imagining digging pears from the ground like potatoes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe because the skin has a dull color.

poires de terre?

2 Likes

I left the fork in the garden when I dug potatoes last week. Fortunately I found it when I went back for the squash. I was told it is a coal loading fork. It works great for wood chips and potatoes.

1 Like