2020 pick of the day

Wow! May I ask how you were able to keep your lettuce and kale from being decimated by slugs and caterpillars? Mine were a mess this year!

1 Like

One and only orcas pear after 1 week in fridge very fine fleshed bartlett type but with a bit thicker skin…delicious!

Cookin apples a nieghbour gave us wolf river?

9 Likes

Persimmon: we thought it was a non-astringent type when bought from HD, turned out not true. Last year it had about 50 small ones, 1.5 " dia, very sweet. This year there are only 7 fruits but they are big. We have a Hachiya closeby that starts fruiting this year, and the taste and texture are very similar. I don’t know if that was the reason.

11 Likes

Picked last fruits on the tree.

Paili (thanks, Tippy ), Indian Free (but I doubt it’s a Indian Free. First time fruiting, need to find out), and red fleshed crabapple (thanks , Brady)

9 Likes

Why do you doubt it is Indian free?

1 Like

My Pai Li have not fruited!!

Cut the Indian Free so you can show us the inside. The color of your IF looks like it. The late ripening seems right, too. People rave about it. I think it is too tart for me. Not a fan.

I still have Korean Giant, Gold Rush and Fuji trees full of fruit.

1 Like

It is a little big than a ping-pong ball size white flesh peach. Only see a little bit red around the stone. The flavor is nothing special. I will give it another year for proofing itself worthwhile.

1 Like

Tippy, hope your pai li fruits for you next year. It’s a very good flavoured pear, nice balance of acidity and sweetness which brings out the flavor.

The peach (only one) is gone without picture taken. I don’t recall any tart in flavor, although i I don’t think it is fully ripe. It doesn’t have strong flavor anyways. I think it is bit too late for my area. I want peach/nectarine that ripens in September, or early October.

1 Like

Try Autumn Star. It is a good peach and quite cold hardy. It ripen 2nd to 3 rd week of Sept for me so it should be late Sept for you.

I have Indian Free two year in a row, flesh does have red streak in it. If it is not tart esp. , when not fully ripe, it probably is not Indian Free. People who prefer more acid loves this peach. Not me :grin:

1 Like

Tippy, thanks for the recommendation

2 Likes

If the Brady is me,I’d like to take credit,but Apples aren’t one of my fruits grown right now.bb

1 Like

Yes,Brady is you😂

1 Like

Here is my total viable pomegranate harvest . . . (thank you very much, Mr. Fungus).
Sad. I’ll be investing in a big jug of one of the anti-fungal sprays that U of F had good results with, in their tests. My poms went from the photo of the yellow plate, that I took several years ago . . . to the photo I took this morning, with the white plate.
These pomegranates are Wonderful and Hotuni Zigar (largest on right). Had lots of others . . . but all had rot. Every last one.

I’m not giving up, tho! I’ll be baaaaaaaack! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

12 Likes

My sister throws away a lot this season because they split and got black fungus even when they were still unripe and sour. Now that they are sweet enough she makes and freeze the juice. The nonsplit ones are easy. With the split ones she goes through these steps: cut away the molded part, get the seeds, wash in cold water, go through and make sure every single seed is fine, wash again, blended, filter out the seeds, and freeze the juice in individual bags. They are pure juice with no water added. It is a lot of work and she is very patient. The best part is giving me some of the frozen juice because her freezers are full and she knows we like it. I know I am very lucky.

This is the one that is not so bad

This is how she knows it will be good: the bumpy shape indicates it is ripe enough

The color may be dark red only on the side facing the sunlight.

The frozen juice

3 Likes

They still look great!

1 Like

These seeds are from the second pomegranate that I deseeded just now. No wonder my sister has so many frozen juice bags. They are very sweet.

7 Likes

I think I made a mistake in identifying the large pom on the right. It is actually an Acik Anor. It was damaged, as you can see. And probably not fully ripe. But, it was sweeter . . . well - let’s say ‘less tart’ . . . than the Wonderfuls. And the color of the arils is a lighter red. (Although to be fair - the Wonderfuls were no where near ripe enough, when they split. The arils were still quite puny.)

Now I am waiting for the grocery stores and big box stores to get their pomegranates. I will miss having the ones from my own trees this year. :disappointed :cry:

1 Like

Butternut squash, they were volunteers from kitchen waste. For a couple of months I pulled them up. Finally I left them alone and they rewarded me.

12 Likes

It may make you feel better to know nearly all my apples and persimmons were burned and dropped during the nearly continuous heatwave this summer. Also, a lot of people I know have problems with pomegranate cracking and/or molding. Don’t rush to buy a lot when you see them, they may only look fine on the outside. There is always next year.
Take care.

1 Like

To take a break from packing, just in case the fire gets closer, we took a walk in the yard. The air smells like smoke but there is no ash yet.
These two are ready, and we will pick all the unripe ones later if need to.

Fuji apple and unknown persimmon

8 Likes