2023 Grafting Thread

@KSprairie I grafted your autumnstar and harrow diamond today. I woke up a few lovell rootstocks by bringing them inside a couple weeks ago, otherwise I could be waiting 2-3 more months for 70s outdoors. did my usual thing: zenport V tool, wrap tightly with a grafting rubber, then overwrap the scion fully with buddy tape. the scions looked good and kept well till today, thank you

1 Like

preventing drying is key for stone fruit… I’ve used a mist bench for this but fully wrapping with buddy tape works too

Yeah I’ve moved all of mine into my mushroom grow chamber and turned down the humidity a bit. Working great so far.

1 Like

From Arkansas to Jamaica, King David Apple has made the journey. I wait humbly for the next phase.

7 Likes

That is great!! I hope you get 100% takes :wink:

1 Like

You seem to grow the same apple varieties I do. Is your list from @applenut ?

1 Like

yes it is :pray: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

LOL. My family has been telling me this for years.

1 Like

thanks, with peaches I know I won’t get 100%… you sent so much wood I should get one though, then rescue the others with t-buds

1 Like

I was wondering if anyone had any information on whether prewounding rootstock might make a callus tissue form quicker. I looked at a plum bench graft I made 4 days earlier and it already has a good amount of callus growth. I had already grafted it once and it failed so I cut it lower and regrafted it. It’s only 60 degrees in my grafting chamber right now so I was shocked to see such quick healing. Usually it has been taking 10 to 14 days to be able to see the callus. My only thought was that the hormones for callus formation were already present in the location of the failed graft. Either that or this one was just a lot easier to see than normal ha.

My grafts of the Jujube scion from Cliff seem to take, I think I lucked for re-grafting during the right time. I have to remember not to graft jujube so early next year.

good plan. I need to remember to try Tbud if my initial grafts fail.

2 Likes

Winter Banana 1 month Chip Bud Graft.

Ps: Is there any source for Scionwood for the malling Rootstocks? Specifically, M111 and M9. I want to graft them on my seedling rootstocks then trench/ground layer them so i can do clonal propagation.

3 Likes

@Seannosis

I would grab some rootstock from @39thparallel and graft the tip of mm111 rootstock etc. on each seedling apple you want to https://39thparallel.com/

In that way you could make several trees from each rootstock. If the rootstocks are under $4 i suspect you could do it for $1 per tree which is cheaper than scion wood. You would want one or 2 buds of mm111 to graft on each seedling rootstock .

1 Like

The issue is that I’m in Jamaica. Getting the scionwoods here is not a problem. However, getting the rootstocks would presents some challenges. This is due to the phytosanitary issues when it comes to importing plants with roots in the country. To avoid all the bureaucracy and round a round, similar to what i did with the scionwoods ,by just ordering them and getting them within a week, i wanted to do the same for the malling stocks in scionwood form🤔.

1 Like

@Seannosis

I’m not able to provide the best advice in aquiring plants or scions in Jamaica. There are some nurseries that ship international. Here is an example of the terms Order Details | Willamette Nurseries rootstock clonal seedling fruit tree ornamental seedlings . The expenses go up exponentially. They do have exactly what you want but the cost is high because they only ship very large quantities.

Getting scionwood shipped to Jamaica is fairly cheap and easy. It’s the plants with roots attached are the issue. I think nurseries should also offer scionwood of the popular “rootstocks”. Especially, for the interstem grafting market. Ironically, Winter Banana , according to my research from this forum, can be used as a inter stem for grafting pears :pear: on to apples :apple:.

2 Likes

@Seannosis

You may like this website and it may alter your choice of rootstock https://eurekamag.com/research/007/637/007637340.php
"

"

11 years is a long time. What frequently happens is incompatibility is not realized sometimes for years. You will like this thread as well i think Interstem aka interstock Pear Grafting and this is a very old thread but it will be helpful Grafting Apple to Non-Fruiting Pear Tree Question. .This thread Winter Banana interstem length and Winter bannana and Grafting pear on apple

1 Like

Cherry whip/toung and mod cleft.

Goumi w/t and mod cleft

Au producer whip to Au rosa

Early Mcintosh w/t to M7 (last spring).

Keiffer and imp keiffer mod cleft and bark graft to callery.

10 Likes

Winter Banana :apple: putting on fast growth :herb: during the full moon :full_moon: lunar cycle!

3 Likes