A slip of the Grafting knife 2020

You are really embarrassing me now. I am just like a grain of sand on the beach. Trust me, there are so many good people in the world, and you are one of them.

6 Likes

a grain of sand in number makes a great beautiful beach with so much diversity and wealth of knowledge thats is ever changing but unified in our quest to be better. everyone has something to contribute in this life we live. from the janitor to the ceo. everyone is equally important , needed and appreciated. :wink:

5 Likes

someday in my travels id love to visit you and your property. seems we are cut from a similar stone. it changes a person for the better when you work hard for everything you have. sadly many nowadays don’t know what it is to go without or wonder if theres enough food in the pantry to make it through the winter. I’m lucky that while my wife and i were working, my parents raised my kids so they appreciate things most of their generation has no idea about. my son shot his 1st deer with my father and they both tagged out on that day. he cleaned the deer himself with Dads instruction. both my kids learned to shoot with the same gun i did. a old bolt action single shot marlin. love that old gun! my brother has it now. it wasn’t always easy as Dad was set in his ways. i had to step in many times when Dad would get upset because one of the kids didn’t do something the way he wanted. he would give in and apologize realizing he was being pigheaded but yet would never outright say he was wrong. made my kids much more well balanced and adaptable to difficult situations. my sons a Marine. they don’t get much more adaptable than that. when my daughter became a teenager and the boys tried to pull stuff on her she would call them out in front of their classmates and shame them. i never had to step in and fight for her. she got suspended for slapping a girl for gossiping about her. i guess the family did a decent job raising them. so very proud they turned out to be such well rounded young adults. to this day i don’t worry about them. they know who to talk to if they come against something they can’t handle alone. we are far from perfect but the family makes up for individual short comings and like Dad, we are sometimes painfully honest with each other. it makes us a stronger family for it.

4 Likes

I know every family raises their kids differently. I was very timid when I was young. As I got older, I firmly believe one has to stand up for what he/she believes is right at the moment. However, coming from a war-torn country, I never advocate physical actions. That said, I salute and thank your son for his service.

5 Likes

i was too but my family taught me how to stand up for myself instead of them fixing problems for me. what country did you come from if i might ask? i hate violence but if all else fails I’m prepared to protect my family, friends and country if need be. i was instilled with these ideals since i was young.

2 Likes

In my darkest times, I never expected or asked anyone to fix the problem for me, not even my parents or family. However, with all due respect, I do not wish to discuss this problem anymore. Nothing is ever black-or-white. The things I love most about the US are the freedom, the freedom of speech, and the right to “respectfully disagree” in any discussion.

3 Likes

After cutting my thumb badly last year, I decided to buy some gloves this year for grafting. Did a little research and found these “Helix 2060” cut and puncture [resistant] gloves for only $11.49 @ gloves.com ($16.34 to include shipping). Helix 2060 with Coretex | SafetyGloves by HexArmor So far, I’ve grafted 20 rootstocks this year (ten remaining this afternoon) and haven’t tested the “resistance” to cuts and punctures, but for the price they do seem worth the added protection. Other gloves may offer more protection, but these are pretty comfortable and easy to work in. The sizes do run a bit small though: I bought a large size, like I normally wear, and an XL may have been better.

2 Likes

the smaller the mesh is the better the dexterity. you almost have to see them to tell if it will work for you. i had a pair that was used for food prep. they did the job but were too bulky for grafting.

1 Like

I would like to thank you for your service. I finally found the post that mentioned you were stationed in Korea. I know a lot of veterans have a hard time when they come back The janitor job title does not define who you are, or diminish your contribution to this country in anyway. Best wishes to you and your family.

3 Likes

thank you.

2 Likes

Might have been unlucky in that i slipped while grafting though once again it appears fortune was on my side when healing. Having grown up here in Kansas we are familiar with minor wounds like these type that happen frequently. We value doctors in this area more than in some places. This time i did not need them but there is always a next time until i’m out of them.

7 Likes

looks like my hands. got scars everywhere not just from grafting but working my families farm. instead of getting stitches would just ball up some gauze, tape in place, cover with duct tape to keep dirt out, put on another glove and keep working. been lucky so far but my brother tried that on his leg from a sawsall cut and wound up with blood poisoning and a 2 week stent in the hospital. i take the time to clean them now.

5 Likes

My soulmate :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hmm…as a wound care nurse i dont see a problem with soaking it in salt water, you may well have saved your hand, you’ll never know. Tetanus shot for sure, if you haven’t had one in recent years. Yes , peroxide is a bit harsh but that’s exactly what it’s for … for when you initially get a wound…, to flush out and kill microbes…after that, not so much.

3 Likes

my daughter in law and sister in law are nurses and they get pissed when they see how we treat our wounds. my brother about 6 months ago caught the tip of his index finger on the tablesaw. yes the same one that cut himself with the sawsall and got blood poisoning. man needs to stay away from blades. ;).

4 Likes

My dad taught shop as his “hobby” when he wasn’t farming. His first lecture to the incoming students each year was “Don’t get blood on my tools!” He had a sign on the wall that said something to that effect as well.

6 Likes

I watched a friend in shop cut off a cast that went from his wrist to above his elbow. The shop teacher kept saying, PETER, STOP THAT. Took him 30-45 minutes and with the help of others who were very willing. He cut it off really early and was playing basketball immediately again, lol. That was so funny watching him use tools at school to remove a cast.

6 Likes

So you might think I have a scar but I didn’t really. My body hides scars very well for some reason. Have scars on top of scars but they are very difficult to see. Look for yourself it’s not easy to spot it.

Got myself some supplies to be able to stitch it up next time or tape it shut better.

2 Likes

That’s why I use one big special custom knife after such cases, as yours.

1 Like