Adara (Puente) Plum - Fruit tree, rootstock & interstem

Thank you - I was looking at high grafts, this paper discusses that as a bit better. What I have seen is that it seems to confuse the borers, since the stock forms more of the trunk.
I do have plans for neem, along with monitoring and the pesticide schedule Scott suggests.

Associated to Adara rootstock- there is one sour cherry listed under compatibility that is not available commercially, but is available from ARS-GRIN. How does one go about getting it? ‘Ferracida’ Prunus cerasus https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1507010
There are several compatible sweet cherries that are a little more available in the USA, but I’d like to be able to try the one sour cherry that is available.

Raintree is using Adara. Prunica was either a placeholder or their own name for it.

I wrote to Raintree and asked about this. They confirmed it was Adara/Puente. You can find the note here, in the questions section. Fruit Cocktail (4 Varieties) — Raintree Nursery

I am in the bay area and am looking for an interstem rootstock to be able to put cherries onto an apricot tree, as a gift for a friend (and to try it on my own tree). Do you still have some scions available? I will send you a PM. Happy to do a scion trade, I’ll be making a list of some of the trees I have bought this year, including a flavor delight aprium I had to drive 4 hours to get.

Thanks so much for all this information, very interesting.

Does anyone know if the interstem graft and scion graft can be done in the same year?

It should work done at once, with dormant scion and interstem, if conditions and material are good.

1 Like

Adara makes small but tasty fruit. So has uses outside of being an interstem.

9 Likes

I remember Andy Mariani doing interstem + variety grafts at once. I also think Marta documented her success of double grafting in her blog. I didn’t get any to take for my persimmon grafts (they showed some early success but died eventually)

1 Like

Ill have to try this to graft some European plums on my Asian (Beauty) Beauty is large, beautiful and quite productive but the flavor is not much different from store bought plums . Which is to say they are quite bad.

Great jam though from Beauty. I made some with uninspiring grocery store nectarines mixed in which was very good too. I’m curious to try it with Frost peaches. 2 fruits that are substandard for fresh eating, but productive, and together could make superlative jam.

1 Like

Simultaneously dormant grafting sweet cherry, Adara interstem, and myrobalan root stock has a good success rate. I have some Adara in Vallejo. Send me a PM if you want to stop by and cut some sticks. I don’t know how well Adara works with apricots, it may be hit or miss depending on the apricot cultivar.

2 Likes

I would fly there just to get one of your scions. I live in South Korea. (sigh) I see no growers growing Adara here. Only few common ornamental cerasiera varieties. I guess I’ll just keep on looking.

To @Dan and @Marta,
This summer I completed the interstem grafts needed to convert my 3 mature sweet cherries over to plums. Now the foliage is either Adara, Cherry Plum, or one of the 11 plum or pluot varieties that I have growing on the interstems. By this time next summer I may even have a few plum fruit buds developing and I will have completed adding all the varieties with each interstem growing stonefruit other than cherries. Can’t tell you how much I appreciate your advice and help in turning these three trees into something we can benefit from. Without you furnishing the Adara I may not be this far along, nor would I have ever thought of using my cherry plum for the same interstem role. Indeed both varieties are very vigorous growers and the plums and pluots I graft to them have also shown very vigorous growth.
So I just want to thank you both for your help
Sincerely
Dennis Dowdy
Kent, Wa

6 Likes

Glad to hear that Adara worked good for you. Keep us posted!

@ramv what do the Adara fruits taste like? Is it more Asian or European ?

1 Like

Hello everyone,
I accidentally discovered this wonderful forum/website while researching ways to graft fruit cocktail trees. I have been searching for Adara/Puente rootstocks (and scions) without much luck. I read this thread and am hopeful that someone can help me acquire some. I will gladly pay for them and for postage. I live in Deep South Texas, zone 10a and am growing some Cherry trees (P. avium). I am curious about using Adara as a rootstock to compensate for our heavier/alkaline soil, as well as using it as an interstem for some of my plum trees so that I may graft cherries onto them. I also have a few questions (my apologies if they have already been answered):

• Can Adara be grafted (for use as an interstem) onto peach/nectarine/apricot trees?
  • Can Peaches/Plums/Almonds/Nectarines/Apricots be grafted onto Adara? (I think yes based on Raintree Nursery)

I have a one-acre food forest (that includes all sorts of fruit, both deciduous and tropical) and am currently growing Royal Lee and Minnie Royal Cherries (both on different rootstocks). I had Stella and Royal Crimson, but they suddenly wilted and died within a week or two. I suspect it was something to do with the heavy rains we had, the trees being heavily mulched, and the rootstock not being able to handle it. After removing the mulch, Minnie and Lee were spared before they began wilting. I recently swapped buds from both trees to create 2 in 1 cherry trees in case one of the two ends up dying. I am curious about using Adara as an interstem as well as a rootstock to continue experimenting with Cherries this far south. I refuse to give up on trying to grow something (I have managed to grow blueberries, raspberries, and even gooseberries as perennials here), so I am exploring all possible options for Cherries. I will also re-inoculate the soil with more micorrhizae to help with any potential issues and to increase the health of the tree.

Thank you in advance!
Danny

1 Like

Yes, peaches, apricots, nectarines, cherries, and prunes can be grafted onto Adara interstem. I have the fruit cocktail from Raintree and all those varieties are doing well.

1 Like

Awesome; thanks! If you ever get a chance to snap a photo of your fruit cocktail tree from Raintree, I’d love to see it.
Danny