Adara (Puente) Plum - Fruit tree, rootstock & interstem

Hey Danny if you want more Adara scion Marta just replenished her website. I bought 5 already I hope they have more for you.

https://reallygoodplants.com/

1 Like

Thank you, John!

Welcome, Danny.

Question for the experts here. I will be doing a direct grafting with interstem and scion. My plan is to connect my interstem to the scion and then interstem into my tree. How many inches would you recommend for my interstem? And should i removed budwood on the interstem?

When I moved into this house I live in now there were two ornamental plum trees. At the time I didn’t know what they were. I think they were planted to help sell this house. They both fell over after a major storm so I took them out. However, they didn’t go down easily and would send up shoots every year and I would cut them down. I got this app that identifies plants and it identified these shoots as purple leaf plum - Prunus cerasifera. I previously bought some cherry scions as an experiment to graft to my plum and peach tree. Then I read I can’t do it without an interstem like adara. I read some journal articles and discovered Prunus cerasifera generally can be used as a substitute for the Adara cultivar. I grafted a few cherry scions to these purple leaf plum shoots and much to my surprise they took which proves you don’t necessarily need adara to make this work. I was also able to verify purple leaf plum will graft to both European plum and peach. So now I am trying to use it as an interstem for plum to cherry and peach to cherry. Another experiment I am doing is purple leaf plum to native black cherry - Prunus serotina. If that works I may be able to graft sweet cherry to black cherry.

5 Likes

I was listening to a podcast interviewing Sam Van Aken. He is an award winning artist and an associate professor in the Art Department of Syracuse University who uses grafting techniques to create his “Tree of 40 Fruit” art installations across North America.

He says he uses Santa Rosa plum as the interstem on his stonefruit trees. Has anyone here used Santa Rosa plum for interstem? He says it’s good for cherries, plums, peaches, and almonds. “It by far his preferred choice.”

@Jc1331, that is great info to know. My father in law has giant purple leaf plum - Prunus cerasifera that I help him clean up over his driveway every year. I had no idea that I was chipping up a mountain of valuable interstems. My mind is officially blown.

1 Like

That is interesting about the Santa Rosa plum. I didn’t know that. I have quite a few grafting experiments going on myself. I recently successfully grafted 3 different sweet cherry varieties grafted to Yoshino flowering Cherry. I also successfully grafted pear to photinia. I’m working on apple to photinia.

3 Likes

Welcome to GF.

How old are your grafts? I think it’s still too early to confirm the compatibility as grafts can still take even when not fully compatible with the rootstock unfortunately.

They are still pretty young and you are correct they could be short lived. Let’s see what happens. I am attaching an article that gives me hope it will be successful.

10.21657-soilst.1218368-2828894.pdf (1.2 MB)

1 Like

@danchappell or anyone else with adara,.do you have photos of what the actual fruit looks like when tiny and young to the time it ripens? I just cannot find a definitive one online!

1 Like

I am sure I posted a photo or two on this forum earlier. But I cannot find it.
It is a yellow colored fruit with large seeds. Quite tasty.

1 Like

I saw it today.

3 Likes

@ramv did you measure the brix, by any chance?

No, I did not. It was reasonably tasty but I would not grow it for the fruit.

1 Like

Hi Tubig
Here is a pic of a two year old graft of one of my top working grafts on one of my sweet cherry trees. First pic: The interstem is Adara with the small plum and the graft is Obilnaya with slightly larger plums. Both Obilnaya and Kuban Comet show a very prolific behavior on Adara.

Second pic: In this case only Adara is grafted: This summer and next spring I will graft some additional varieties onto my new Adara shoots.
Remind me later to post ripe fruit if desired.

Dennis
Kent, wa

4 Likes

Does anyone know or have any info regarding Adara compatibility with Prunus serotina or virginiana?
Also, are “Sprite” and “Delite” Cherryplums closely related to Adara? And if so, has anyone tried grafting Prunus avium cherries to those cherryplum varieties?
Danny

1 Like

Here’s your reminder to post picture of Adara fruit.

Hi Jafar,
I picked all my plums early due to squirrel damage. I had a lot of nice Adara plums which had turned yellow and about the size of a quarter. But I could not let them ripen naturally, so not a good year to show pics. If I can trap and relocate my squirrels maybe next year will be better. Sorry
Dennis

1 Like

Does anyone know of a Canadian source for Adara rootstock or scion wood?

I haven’t been able to locate any commercial sources in Canada, I’d be more than happy to pay for the scion and shipping if any forum members are growing Adara in Canada. If anyone would rather trade scion wood, I have at least 30 different varieties of plum/plumcot/pluot growing that I have available to trade. I also have apple, cherry, and pear varieties, but in more limited numbers.

If any Canadian forum members could be of any assistance in locating some Adara that would be greatly appreciated. You can DM/PM me privately through the forum (if you’d rather), thanks in advance.

Well, in the meantime, here’s Ram’s picture from last year:

1 Like

It’s an adarable little plum. Sorry…Couldn’t help it.

If I can get adara to root, I plan on growing a tree simply for scionwood. Maybe the following year I can be a very small supplier for the forum.

Assuming I can grow it and it survives. I won’t be getting fruit from it as I believe it needs more chill than it will get here.

4 Likes