'Al Horn' pawpaw flavor

I’ll be interested to hear the reports back in a year or three.

1 Like

Very healthy trees. I wonder where you procured them and if you ever obtained the pawpaw cultivar ‘Sweet Potatoe’ that is grown at the nursery over in Crawfordville? :thinking:. Mr. Al Horn’s Coconut triloba tree is an interesting one to trial in your area. Perhaps you might consider hand pollinating it with the Mighty Mango pawpaw cultivar. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

I share your curiosity concerning this cultivar selected as a seedling by the late Al Horn. Mother tree? Pollen donor? Who has the Intell?

1 Like

Many find “Developmental Disabilities’ offensive. Your suggestion of 'Challenged” is better, as in perhaps some just have to try harder.

1 Like

Unfortunately that butternut fell in a storm this summer.
I got a couple nuts lying on the counter, but I think they are immature.
Too bad. Best one I’d ever seen.

Have you planted them in the Earth yet Mr. Blueberry? If not, perhaps I can purchase them from you in order to liberate them from their imprisonment.

2 Likes

No, one sale and a gift to a couple people…I’m planting the remainder of my seedlings/seeds myself this spring.
Until such time as I have more seeds germinate and get too many baby ones…I’m not ‘freeing’ anymore this year.
I’ll be planting seeds of trees soon. Already planted bean and carrots and turnips.

1 Like

@Osteen
I read something that stated that @KYnuttrees was one of the first 4 people to get scion wood of Al Horn’s White.
Cliff’s oldest surviving Al Horn’s White, was grafted in 1999.
It’s logical to assume that Cliff knows more about the tree than anyone else.
I suggest asking who gave him the scion wood, if tracking down tree origin is important.
You might find the mother tree of Al Horn’s White with a little luck & a lot of hard work.
Would be interesting if there was a hidden wild treasure trove of such DNA waiting for the right triloba hunter to discover!

2 Likes

:mammoth: :mammoth: :mammoth: :mammoth: :mammoth: :mammoth:

1 Like

I was reading how this variety has a more coconut flavor.
I may be tempted to plant this (or other more interesting unique flavored pawpaws that lean on different flavors). Any other recs? (Im in Zone 7a/b in Philadelphia PA and already have Mango, Sunflower, Susquehana, Wabash, and KSU Atwood).
I saw they Honeydew/Cantiloupe/Marshmellow varieties, but seems like i read people recommended them more for ‘seed processors/sellers’ vs specifically for the fruit for backyard growers.

2 Likes

Will contemplate.

1 Like

I heard ‘Pina Colada’ is a future release that may have this flavor.
I guess i’ll just go for grafting this Al Horn coconutty one for now (someone told me it tastes more like Cherimoya to them though).
Does anyone have scionwood from their own trees? I take 1 but can go up to 5 scionwoods if you got extras.

1 Like

I talked to someone today who said they got their Al Horn from the mother tree and he’ll know in 4years how it is (so i think he just grafted it last year). I can ask him in March next time i see him at the grafting event where it was if people are interested.

2 Likes

Having access to a mother tree is a rare and potentially fruitful opportunity for pawpaws as root suckers could yield true to type long term patches.

5 Likes

When I talked to Sheri Crabtree 18 months ago, she stated that the tree grew very slow, had health issues & lots of graft failures when attempting to propagate it.
I believe that a Susquehanna seedling that might be (Susquehanna x Al Horn White) that is 27% Brix & more aromatic Al Horn White aromatic complexity than Al Horn White.
Wish that I could remember the source of the information.

2 Likes

At the last October pawpaw event, Kirk Pomper implied that a (Susquehanna x Sunflower) cross, which has large sweet ultra firm fruit with color break has high probability of being the next release. This tree & it’s Susquehanna cross siblings are now 10 years old and need a few more years of review before release. Kirk Pomper just stepped down as Director. It’s highly probable that new releases will be cultivars with commercial value. Rather than just what tastes best. Blake Cothron & Clifford England often get these rare non release cultivars for breeding purposes. So contact one of them if interested in something not yet released.

3 Likes

Al horn is coconutty in my experience, yes.

I have a seedling too and it also has this flavor.

The “white” pawpaw strains do have an overall different profile it seems, something reported on going back 100+ years.
Some even speculated these were a subspecies.

6 Likes

I have a Sunflower seedling from this same area of the KSU orchard and it is also super firm. It has much longer shelf life and falls firm from the tree, leading to minimal if any bruising.

It has had hit or miss flavor. Often rambutan-like.
But the firmness may be a little too extreme.

I say this just to say that yeah I guess the genetics for a very firm pawpaw exist in a Suq x Sun cross.

4 Likes

I’ve picked white fleshed ones in Berea KY from wild trees. Seen white ones in Missouri, and someone sent me a package of white fleshed ones from Indiana…supposed collected in wild.

I don’t think the pale ones are as rare as Al Horn fans seem to think.
And I like a mild flavor, so overall I like the taste of the white ones, but there is
a bitter after-taste in some of them.

3 Likes

This lines up with the old writings I referenced above - apparently they were abundant back then.
I think any rarity is just in commercially available grafted trees.

2 Likes