Amazon Pruner Scam

Maybe you should find some other way to shop.

4 Likes

Aside from the annoying lock they seem awesome.

Me too. I couldnā€™t lock them - and finally got a ā€˜broccoliā€™ rubber band and put it around the handles to keep the stinkinā€™ thing closed! Then - out of the blue . . . they locked!

And I noticed that the material the handles are made of (the red covering) is already getting ā€˜stickyā€™ - as happens with many of these ā€˜materialsā€™. And I just opened the package this week!

1 Like

When they are new they are stiff but the mechanism quickly loosens up after several closings. You just have to squeeze the handles tightly shut while thumbing in the closure mechanism. The only problem I have with the mechanism is after a great deal of useā€¦ probably more than any non professional will put it through, the lock mechanism becomes to loose and it becomes unsafe to keep in oneā€™s pocked because it opens accidentally. If you make sure you always squeeze it tightly before forcing it to close it may never wear out.

1 Like

I have no better way as long as this doesnā€™t become a regular thing. It i just very convenient and Iā€™m a 70 year old full-time worker with a lot of chores at home. I will never go back to doing much brick and mortar shopping.

1 Like

There are plenty of other ways to shop on line. Nobody shops
brick and mortar stores anymore.

Yeah, I also shop e-bay and a couple other apps, but Amazon is the most convenient platform for me. However, I just ordered two Bahco loppers and got a much better deal elsewhereā€¦ it does pay to shop. I purchased an air conditioner directly from the manufacturer a couple of years ago that the Amazon source wanted double the money for.

I just received the ARS pruners today from Amazon. I believe these are the real deal NOT the knockoffs. Not sure though. Can anyone confirm one way or the other? If these are the fake ones I can send them back before I actually use them.
Thank you!

The packaging is different than what Iā€™ve seen before, maybe packaged for the US whereas mine were for Japan.

But all of the features look right. The grind and shape of the blade look high quality like genuine.

I think that is a newer model than mine with the extra soda can tab looking piece with ARS embossed in it and the screw in the curved slot.

I think those are real.

1 Like

This is supposed to be the newer replacement model according to the ad. You are right it does have an extra feature. Glad you noticed the extra piece added.

Just FWIW, hereā€™s photos from the ARS website:

I recently received a pair in the identical packaging and they are certainly authentic. If the Chinese made such good knock-offs, no one would know about them or have any reason for caring.

3 Likes

They look very much like the knock offs that I received and Iā€™m the original poster of this thread.

1 Like

What aspect of these is like the knock offs?

Your posts make me question your judgment about these.

I asked how you knew the original pair were different, and found your answer vague.

Just based the blade grind, these are better than any knockoff or cheap pruners Iā€™ve seen and the geometry matches ARS.

2 Likes

I purchased/received both a knock-off pair and the real deal. These look more like the real deal to meā€¦ At least the knock-offs I received did not claim ā€œMade in Japanā€ and didnā€™t have the ARS name or logos or anything of that sort. They were made similar and used VS-8 in their advertisement but the product didnā€™t really claim ARS, or in any of the packaging. So not really ā€œcounterfeitā€ as they were deceitful in their Amazon descriptionā€¦

As someone else said, these look to be packaged for sale in the US as opposed to in Japan. Mine were clearly packaged for sale in Japan.

Yours were in the same packaging?, because if they were, I strongly believe they are authentic. Been using them for about 12 years and I believe I know the real thing. That packaging is expensive and would not be done by fakers, IMO. Drives up the price to manufacture.

But everyone has an opinion, that is mine.

2 Likes

I just read your old post about price tracking at Amazon. I honestly didnā€™t know this was possible. I see the dips in the ARS pruner prices and Iā€™m surprised at the variation. Thanks for posting. Old dog, new tricks.

2 Likes

@Olpea
:grinning:
You are my hero. A couple of seasons ago, I thinned 1400+ fruitlets off my Saturn and at the end of the season I still had over 300+ with many being smaller than its already small maximum size. And, because I had 300+, I could not give enough away and too many went bad.

Had I pruned correctly I would have had less work during the season (thinning spraying etc.), less work at the end of the season(harvesting, and with Saturn that is NOT easy,) and bigger fruit which would all be used and enjoyed.

Mike

2 Likes

Thanks Mike! Glad you are having success with your Saturn. They do produce a lot of fruits most years!

My daughters bought me this tool for my birthday last year, itā€™s the same tool in one of the links from Alan, I checked the price this morning and itā€™s $12. I use this secateur to do most of my grafts this year. My husband just sharped the blades up a bit.

I mostly use the price tracking site to check if a ā€œsaleā€ price is good, or if Iā€™m at a local peak in price for something I donā€™t need right away. But occasionally I get an email that something has hit my ā€œstrikeā€ price. About half the time Iā€™m still interested at that point. Often Iā€™ve already bought something, or no longer want it.

But sometimes there are things that seem nice to have, but not for what they cost. Iā€™ll put a ā€œwhat-is-it-worth-to-meā€ price in the tracker, even if it is unrealistically low. Occasionally they hit it.

5 Likes