American Persimmon Flavor?

Yeah my topsoil will always and honestly needs to dry out and i think that’s what KO’s the Paw paws with vast amounts of effort i kept them alive (they slowly perished 1 by 1) for three years and without any special care they just all perished immediately. They needed less water than hardy kiwi for me though which i also gave up on right away.

@chadspur Please dont quote me on that it seems many people love prok and i have never tried one, i was going off of descriptions in my mind and had read and could be very wrong.

2 Likes

No worries @chadspur it’s delicious, Prok.

Dax

3 Likes

@snowflake suggestion of sowing seed for “SURVIVAL” and coming back later to graft is the most important key element in what he was saying. I’d listen. Getting (any) tree established from seed if you can is the way to go, always. At Spring, it sends a taproot way down and after minimal watering or rain if you’ve been able to keep it alive come mid-summer, it’s-golden.

Dax

4 Likes

What Dax said there is true.
Even with rootstock purchased, the best is to plant where you want your tree and graft after one year.
Persimmons all root deep and are a pain (to put it nicely) to dig later.

2 Likes

Regarding deep persimmon roots, what are your thoughts about root pruning pots for growing persimmon? (rootmaker or similar pots)

I recently met an experienced grower in California who has had excellent success with Lotus as rootstock for American persimmon. He said trees on lotus rootstock are more consistent, handle drought better and are far more vigorous growing. The big problem is that it is nearly impossible to find lotus rootstock unless you are a large nursery.

1 Like

I have no experience with container trees.

I do have a bunch (estimated 20+ ) of lotus rootstock if someone wants it. We are pulling it out of the field here in central Arizona.

1 Like

I’m definitely interested. I will PM you.

What is the hardiness of lotus?

USDA 7-9 is what some report.

1 Like

The first photo (green fruit) is not 100-46. It looks more like a Celebrity (U-20A) a late variety that never fully ripens here. Lehman’s Delight is flat, Celebrity is barrel-like.

Few pictures of my Barbara’s Blush (WS 8-10) 2018 harvest.

16 Likes

I have 8 fruiting seedlings, about 15 years old, from 3 or 4 different sources, mostly from wild trees. 7 are female and 1 male. Fruit size is from a pea-size up to near Prok size. Maybe I got lucky, but that is my first hand experience. Thinking about it I do not see a benefit for a species to produce much more male over female plants.

@RichardRoundTree Prok has the American Persimmon flavor, actually all of mine - seedlings or named (Prok and H-120) taste very similar. Differences are mainly in size, time of ripening, astringency ect.

2 Likes

Thank you Hristo. I probably remembered that incorrect. I’ll edit above to show differently.

Regards,

Dax

2 Likes