Anybody growing Taishu in the U.S.?

For the record, I currently have one tree and hope to have more buds to share once I confirm I have the proper variety. Did anyone fruit this one in the US yet?

1 Like

Mine grew several feet last year. I have several trees.
I’m hoping to have fruit this year or maybe next.

2 Likes

That’s great news! I am going to up-pot mine and see how much I can get it to grow this year. It will join the best figs with some premium deck space.

1 Like

Do any of you have a cutting/scion to sell?

I’m sorry, I don’t. My tree is very young so there’s not much pruned wood, and the few available scions are spoken for.

Here’s some photos of a Taishu I bought in Tokyo earlier this year in case anyone wants to compare with theirs:


Sepals are very differently shaped than Jiro and Fuyu.

Fruit profile is very different from Jiro as well.

5 Likes

I really hope Taishu lives up to its promise in my cool summer climate. So far Jiro beats all PCNA varieties in both productivity and flavor.

2 Likes

Very nice, thanks for sharing for reference!

1 Like

Thanks Joe! If I can’t find one maybe I can get one from you next year.

Very possible. Contact me in Sept/Oct so I keep you in mind.

You probably have a better chance of ripening it than I do. :slight_smile:

Would do, thanks Joe!

1 Like

The potted Taishu that I’ve been nursing for a few years seems to have flowers – male flowers. Note the clusters. FWIW, these flower buds seem more robust than the buds on my PVNAs.

8 Likes

Just plant new persimmon trees… Kitaro, Liyu (Reitama), Taishu, Emperor, Taiya and Yellow June… fingers crossed!

My taishu tree

5 Likes

Nice, curious how much USD that 1 ā€˜gift’ persimmon cost. The most expensive I’ve seen I think was close to 10k for a pair.

For a standard gift one, I’m gonna guess $30-50.

1 Like

I don’t remember what the exact price was, but I don’t think it was astronomical. Maybe 15-20 USD.

2 Likes

My Taishu is now blooming (top pic).

You can get some idea of the size of the potted tree (bottom pic). JT-02 is on the left; some Jerusalem artichokes are behind.

9 Likes

Any females?

My coffee cake’s first year blooming after planting flowered all males 4 days before the first female flower appeared. Probably a coincidence but unfortunate

1 Like

Yeah, plenty of both. The females seem to be opening earlier.

Joe, mine still hasn’t decided whether to take off or not. I saw the buds starting to swell but the stop, and they been like that for a few days now.

@Ruben — Be patient. To be clear, while my persimmon trees are beginning to flower, my roughly a dozen persimmon grafts (including a single Taishu) are just barely popping buds.

From unreliable memory I’d say that I executed these grafts a little more than 3 weeks ago.

2 Likes