Apples we are going to try in 2018

If you like sweet apples you cannot go wrong with cinnamon spice.

2 Likes

I get lured into buying apples by either their name or the story of how the apple was found. I’m such a sucker, hahaha.

3 Likes

Knobbed Russet.

That is one crazy looking apple mike, anyone ever taste it? I would grow that beautifully ugly thing.

1 Like

Another one to look at is the Api Etoile apple. Sweet-tart taste.
The Knobbed Russet is sweet and nutty.

I would love to get scions of the Api Etoile

1 Like

Me too

1 Like

Ordered rootstocks today . Harbin pear and American persimmon from Lawyer . 25 each in 3/8 caliper .

2 Likes

Do you mean $2.25 ea?

No quantity of 25 Harbin trees and quantity of 25 persimmon trees .

2 Likes

Does Lawyer still have a $250 minimum order?

no .

As I recall there is a 50.00 charge for packing or some such on orders under 250.00.

2 Likes

Yes . $95.00 for trees $145.00 total .

3 Likes

I understand now.

How are you planning to graft the Persimmons? I have some coming from Lawyers but, have not really worked with them before. I plan to try bench grafting some, field graft the rest when they start to push growth and then bud graft anything that didn’t take.

1 Like

I may try to field graft a few this year . Most will be field grafted next year .

1 Like

If you bench persimmons make sure they’re potted and starting to leaf out before you do your grafting, otherwise the odds are pretty good that your scion Will dry up and die while waiting for the rootstock to wake up

2 Likes

Waiting a year will provide the best success but, I want to see if I can find a reliable way to save time.

On our list of things that we hope to try grafting this year:

Blenheim Orange
Bramley’s Seedling
Claygate Pearmain (graft failed last year)
Cornish Aromatic
Hubbardston Nonesuch
Lord Lambourne (graft failed last year)
Roxbury Russet (grafted last year but seems to be doing poorly, concerned that it may be pining for the fjords…)

We currently have one-year-old:

Adams Pearmain
American Beauty
Ashmead’s Kernel
Black Oxford
Blue Pearmain
Fall Russet
Gray Pearmain
Hoople’s Antique Gold
Hunt Russet
Kidd’s Orange Red
Mother
Orleans Reinette
Pitmaston Pineapple
Reine des Reinettes
Roxbury Russet
Westfield Seek No Further
Wheeler’s Golden Russet

Our criteria have been, generally, some combination of (1) good disease resistance, especially to scab, (2) heirlooms, especially from MA/New England, (3) good flavor and good variety of flavor, and (4) things we can’t readily get if we don’t grow them ourselves (my wife’s stipulation). We are currently kind of heavy on later apples, partly by design, but I’m planning to add a couple of earlier varieties at least. (I think Fall Russet is currently our earliest, and it’s not exactly super early, about the same time as Lord Lambourne would be, I think?)

Suggestions are welcome!

3 Likes

We really liked Strawberry Parfait. It came off in mid July-early Aug, and everyone who tried them liked them. Not super firm, but not mush either. Pleasant flavor, and kind of unusual. Some red in the flesh.
I have plenty of scion.

We also liked Pristine, and Kerry Pippin, but Strawberry Parfait was earlier, and good.

3 Likes