Aronia as rootstock

Anyone using Aronia as a rootstock for anything? I have a Shipova on one, very slow growing. Supposedly it will hasten fruiting.

I’m wondering if pears would take? If I have extra scion wood this winter I may try it out.

3 Likes

There’s a former Garden Web member in our area who has grafted a number of things to Aronia, some with apparently good success.

I didn’t pay close enough attention to understand exactly what transpired, but I think he felt persecuted in this forum so he doesn’t participate any more here. I don’t know if that means lurking or not coming here at all.

If you are interested you could message me and I could get you in touch via email.

My intent isn’t to violate forum etiquette with the offer. If Scott or the moderators take issue with this post or my proposal I’ll cheerfully withdraw it.

3 Likes

I went ahead and tried using Aronia as rootstock. It should work and will result in bushy plants as opposed to trees. Three grafts each of Seckel and Korean Giant on two separate plants. I will post my progress/results!

8 Likes

I have never thought of using Aronia as pear root stock. Ihave Aronia and I would like to try to graft Asian pear to it too. Just to see what happens

4 Likes

I have it on very good authority Pears will take on aronia but keep in mind the difference in size of rootstock and trunk later. Aronia could also be grafted on a pear which might be a better graft. Medlar, apple etc would work also Pome - Wikipedia. I have a few acres of viking aronia. Here is more info about aronia http://uncommonfruit.cias.wisc.edu/aronia-black-chokeberry/. There was work done on Cotoneaster, hawthorn etc back in the 40’s and 50’s by Harvard on dwarfing rootstocks. This article was released in 1950 which I think you will find very interesting http://arnoldia.arboretum.harvard.edu/pdf/articles/1950-10--dwarf-trees.pdf

4 Likes

Interesting article, thanks!

If you have acres of Aronia, why are you looking for Callery all the time :smiley:

It may not successful over the long term, but I’ll find out. Good point on the size differences.

2 Likes

Kelby,
I ask myself that question sometimes but they require no spray and very little care. They produce a lot of fruit.

Aronia are very nutrient rich so most of my apple juice etc. gets aronia juice added. Aronia as you know do not taste good for fresh eating.

3 Likes

Quick update, all 6 grafts I did look like they took and are pushing growth. I’ll try to get a picture this weekend.

5 Likes

Update (finally): KG on left, Seckel on right. Huge growth, at least 12" on all grafts. Graft unions are all funky looking (lots of callusing) but strong.

6 Likes

If pears can be grafted on Aronias, does that mean that they can also be hybridized with each other?

3 Likes

Yep, it exists. Called Pyronia.

3 Likes

Scions are outpacing rootstocks in caliper, but still growing strong. Pushing 3’ of growth.

6 Likes

Kelby,
Any new updates? I suspect when you plant these you will bury them up to the graft is that correct? Are you going to stake them?

Nothing exciting. Grafts are about 1’ up. I’ll find a home for them somewhere.

2 Likes

Pulled them out of the potted plant jungle for a photo today. Korean Giant on top, Seckle below. Scions are rapidly outgrowing the rootstock. I doubt long term success, considering this is the difference in 1 season.

6 Likes

You could bury the tree beyond the graft union and root the scion portion of the graft. It would form a standard tree. Sounds like your best option to me.

I have no real reason to save them since I have these varieties elsewhere already. This was just an experiment.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting the experiment.

2 Likes

So 1 year in, the seckel on Aronia rootstock is blooming. Not exactly scientific, but given my limited experience and reading this is much earlier than normal for Seckel.

7 Likes

Interesting thread. Googling pyronia turns up this cross between pear and quince, but no aronia cross yet. I’ll keep looking. https://academic.oup.com/jhered/article-abstract/7/9/416/879670/PYRONIAA-Hybrid-Between-the-Pear-and-Quince?redirectedFrom=PDF

3 Likes