AU Golden Kiwi update

@Blake , check out my recent thread on fuzzy kiwi. You probably could grow them. Potted material would need a hoop house or something.

Iā€™m in 6b upstate NY and my golden male survived with no dieback and no protection in a very exposed area, and is at the top of my trellis by the second year. The females died from lack of water unfortunately so I wonā€™t get fruit. Looking to buy these plants too.

1 Like

Possibly Next spring.
Thats the only update for now.

I just did a google search for Auburn Kiwi and found a pdf where they mention they are searching for growers and nurseries to sell their Golden Kiwi.Gold-Green-Kiwi-Fruit-Cultivars-IAC-Flyer.pdf (914.8 KB)

From the article you referenced, I see that they state: ā€œPreorders are being taken for tissue culture starts available in late 2022 or spring 2023.ā€ Hmmm. Might have quite a few takers here!! Will try to contact to see whatā€™s what.

We actually know the skinny on the tissue cultures. It wasnā€™t exactly a done deal but looks to be on track from the feed back I got

2 Likes

Even if someone on the forum doesnā€™t directly order from Agristarts, their propagating these should make more available. My local garden center chain has Jenny kiwi, presumably from Agristarts.

This is the reply I got from Ty Strode at Agristarts.
Those interested might want to be on their preorder list.

"Good Morning Chris,

Thanks for you email. Yes we will be working with the Golden Kiwis in the near future. We have all the agreements in place and we are now waiting on UofA to send us down some stock material to get started.

Iā€™ve copied in Reilly Brooks, she is keeping a list of people who are interested & as we get a little further down the line we can start following up and lining up preorders. She will get you on the list!"

Thanks,

Ty

Ty Strode

President

p: 407.889.8055 ext. 203

1728 Kelly Park Rd | Apopka FL 32712

www.agristarts.com

Agristarts signature.jpg

2 Likes

Which Male cultivar do you have? I need a Male, I have Yellow Bliss female.

Hi, unfortunately my male died back to the ground this winter along with a lot of my peaches. I think wind desiccation did it, we have some severe winter storms with high winds and it was very exposed.

Ty Strode ainā€™t gonna get any plant material from UofAā€¦ they donā€™t do agriculture or horticulture. Florida man oughta know betterā€¦
As a second-generation Auburn native and third-generation Auburn University graduate (the Bammers call us Barners), Iā€™m disturbed (tic) that he doesnā€™t know the differenceā€¦ lol.

Any updates on this. I could really use some sticks next year for topworking.

My AU gold kiwi (golden dragon) survived the winter and is growing well ā€“ finally!
But no flowers yet.
Its male counterpart (CK3 aka meteor) has flowered profusely. Hopefully I will get flowers from the female next year.
It might be a winner for very short/very cool season growers like those in the PNW. My friend Kiwibob has successfully got high brix fruit from Hong Yang (red eyed golden kiwi) which is a bit later than Golden Dragon.

2 Likes

One Green World will be carrying the AU gold varieties in the near future.

5 Likes

Aw dang, I gotta find room for another trellis now.

Looks like agristarts is going to go ahead with propogation then!

What kind of kiwi died back for you?

I think it was Golden Dragon but also a lot of my peaches died too unexpectedly, just a bad winter. The previous year I had no die back on the kiwi. Iā€™m not sure if it is entirely dead I didnā€™t see new shoots and now Iā€™m out of town for the summer to check. Iā€™d try it again if I could ever get another.

I was really surprised and excited to see a couple of fruits on my AU Golden dragon. I guess I missed them because they are only visible from the alleyway.

They are sizing up nicely despite far below average heat units this year

8 Likes

I didnā€™t get the grafted plants when I wanted to 3 years ago. I bought a tray of golden kiwi at Costco and planted seed. Now I have 2 plants nearly ready to set out. Will they be any good? If not, Iā€™ll graft them with something better.