Bench grafting technique for persimmons/peaches/etc

I’m in the same boat. I have 5 persimmon rootstocks planted in pots and Nakita’s Gift and Saijo scions in the fridge. I was going to wait to the rootstock starts pushing out leaves before grafting. The weather has been so poor, the rootstocks have not started showing signs of growth yet. I’d say wait till it warms up a little.

4 Likes

My thoughts on persimmon / temperature .

50 deg.F growth is almost stopped .
60 deg. F growth , very slow
70 deg.F growth decent amount
75-85 deg. F growth rapid , healing optimized .
90 - above to hot.
Night time temps mater too. So a cool spring ,outside ,is hard.
Below 70deg. My take rate drops…
I am currently keeping grafts in my warm room(75- 80deg F)
But holding off until it warms a little for outside grafting.
Outside , here, persimmons have broke dormancy, small buds / leafs coming out , but really slow , as it is still cool at night.
Many bare root grafts will fit in ,say , a five gallon bucket to heal 2-3 weeks. So does not take up much space.
But should be warm.

5 Likes

I’m still definitely going to hold them inside; I guess I wasn’t very clear on that. My rootstocks are starting to wake up, but room temp is still 65-70 during the day. I may move the rootstocks out to slow them down until the daytime temps come up a bit more, which will also up the inside temps in that room. Or, I may try to make a warm box for them.

2 Likes

That temp breakdown is really helpful! I glanced at the forecast for your neck of the woods, and you are decidedly warmer than we are the next 10 days. If you’re holding off, outside would probably be a loooong wait for me.

1 Like

My success rate from first batch is 10/10. My callusing pipe can only hold 10 at a time. All pushing green growth now. Several from second batch are also pushing now.

4 Likes

Can you share pics of your callusing pipe? Thanks

A chip bud ,pushing.
Ok … I should have moved this to a area with more light…
. About 2 days ago. It has doubled in size in the last 24 hrs.
At 85 deg.F High humidity ,.24/7 … 2+ weeks on a strong root.
Moved to filtered light to green up.
Will put outside soon.
Note , white line. To tell where “the bud” is.
I have been putting this white line (with a paint marker ) on the rootstock, put my chip bud ON the line.
Any sprouts , Not ON the line get removed. Quickly .
In the end. Checking to be sure " THE chip bud" is what is growing. This has saved me so much time.
Some years. With some persimmon rootstock. Once grafted an cut back . Sprouts come out everywhere , for a long time.
Making it time consuming , to remove the ones from the rootstock , every 3 days or so, making sure , to keep only the chip bud. By putting that line on there, and wrapping in such a way that you know where “that bud” is on the line.
Will save time , life is short…?image

1 Like

Pic. Issues …?

4 Likes

I have good luck with dormant bench grafting of persimmons. I just keep them at room temprature for a while or plant directly in June when it’s getting warm outside. I plant them late as possible so, they don’t get to big and I have some chance of digging out of the nursery bed in the Spring.

2 Likes

What’s your room temp? We keep our house cooler than most but warmer than some…

it’s 65-7f0 average in my shop by time I get around to grafting them.

1 Like

Ok, from reading all of this, my interpretation is that 65-70 is OK, 70-75 is better, and 75-85 is best for persimmons. I think I figured out a way to get my graft unions up to at least the 70-75 range with materials on hand. I’ll do a trial run with a few grafts hopefully this evening and share some pictures of my jankety setup.

2 Likes

Persimmon grafts took best for me when the temp at 70 to 80 degrees for two weeks straight.

4 Likes

I’m curious how much variation people see regarding when a graft pushes between different varieties of persimmon. I’ve got a good number of grafts I’ve taken off a hot callousing pipe and now see several kaki grafts with nice green growth starting, but only one of my American types (prairie star) is showing a green tip and only Kasandra among the hybrids is showing green. I’m hoping they are just taking longer to wake up and start pushing, but I’ve never seen this much variation based on variety with other fruits so I’m getting a bit nervous.

1 Like

Nah, you’re right on schedule, Walter. Kaki and hybrids I’ve seen break earlier but remember that any cultivar might, doesn’t matter the species. Right now I’m seeing an abundance of Prok and I-115 with Valeene beauty (yes) breaking also on the pipe, however you’ll see that patterns are patterns whether from where your scion may have been collected in relation to the amount of growing days in their climate vs. yours and on and on, really, truly. Trees adapt. I should say hardwood’s adapt. You remove them from a different climate & they will need to adapt to yours. There’s so many factors to notice or consider when grafting; heck I’m only talking scions. Rootstocks are the other half; seed-providence, on and on.

Dax

2 Likes

Well, after some consideration, overthinking, and then seeing what was staring me in the face, here’s my “good enough” solution. Depending on exactly how close the graft union is to the lamp, they should be sitting anywhere from 72-85 degrees. I made a little padding so the rootstock won’t lean directly on the hottest part of the lamp.

I was originally going to do all chip buds, but I took stock and realized I have enough to do standard top grafts and add some chip buds as well. These are all whip and tongue. I was surprised how easy to work the persimmon wood is. I had read that it was very hard/tough. Other than some of the skinnier pieces being a little wobbly when wrapping, it was very cooperative. I managed to do six in under an hour while supervising a toddler. Which is fast for me…

3 Likes

I was just potting up my persimmons last night, and some of them had lovely root suckers sprouting up! I was glad I had the opportunity to break them off before putting them in pots. I wonder if the bench grafting makes them more or less liable to sucker, or if it’s mostly genetics.

1 Like

I think it’s a combination of both. For me, Virginiana sends suckers even when left unbothered but does it more often after graft cuts.

2 Likes

Thanks to all the help on this and other threads, I had great success on my persimmons. Now that we’re going in to fall, I’m curious about the other side of the equation. I’ve read that persimmon bench grafts can be a lot more tender than an established tree. Is this true, and if so, what kind of protection should I give them? I’m right on the 5b/6a boundary for reference, but in town so it takes the edge off a bit.

My options are:

1. Sink the pots in ground and cover with leaves and/or row cover.
  2. Place pots against low, South-facing stone wall and mound with leaves and/or row cover.
  3. Place pots against North side of house and mound with leaves and/or row cover.
  4. Unheated, detached garage (drafty)
  5. Unheated, attached mud room (gets warm on sunny days)
  6. Exterior basement stairs (not sure if sinking cold air would negate or override ground heat/heat from house)
1 Like

How it works for potted trees is this, Jay. If you have an insulated room that’s heated and may be kept above freezing, then that’s your go to always. Ideally and to save on fuel cost, that room should be 33-34 degrees.

The next place is always in-ground. Either sink the pots or plant when you have a trench in place and plant and cover with 3" of mulch. Poultry caging, as-well.

Dax

2 Likes