Best hose wand

Hi everyone! I’m pretty sure most of us have had a hose wand that leaks water even time you’re used or have to replace the seals at least once a year. Then are those that water comes out from every joint . I have going through a few of them and I’m just tired of the same issues.
Is there any hose wand that you all recommend?

Thanks

5 Likes

I have had a Dramm for 3 years. It leaks at the valve so my hand gets wet when I water.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m talking about!

The reason it got me to ask about it was because just a few days ago my Wife watered the vegetable garden at the end she forgot to close the valve, the next day that area was flooded. I also have a timer attached to the water spigot to irritate the berry fruits. That’s why we have to left the water spigot in open position.

Most of the wands with built-in valves have junk valves. Stay away from squeeze valves. The design is inherently not durable. Get one with an all-metal valve if you can afford it. It will last way longer than one with plastic internal parts, and the threads will fit on your hose better. Dramm also makes some excellent stuff. This pro grade wand has their bulletproof brass valve. The Dramm breakers are the best. They provide a much higher flow of water while still having fairly gentle drops.

If you want a different length or a different breaker, you can buy the pieces individually. This is more expensive, but you’d get a better breaker. I already had the breaker, so this is the setup I got.

That also make breakers that have a even gentler spray, but still have close to full water flow. You can change them out for different situations.

10 Likes

The wands come in lengths from 6" to 48", and different bend configurations. So there’s a lot of room for customization.

3 Likes

I also recommend either buying a hose with solid forged brass or aluminum fittings instead of the cheap crimped/stamped fittings or replacing the hose ends with high quality repair fittings. The threads are sharper and will cinch the gasket down better for fewer leaks. They also last much longer. Buying cheap equipment is too expensive.

6 Likes

Thanks @jcguarneri Jay for all the information you have shared. I never heard of this brand before but that’s the reason why I reach out.
The wands that I have going through are some that I purchased from ether Ace Hardware or Walmart! And they are ok or a regular homeowner but for us that we used more than normal tend to last but so long before they started leaking from valve or where the gasket housing. Definitely is not the water hose because the ends are solid forged brass and ware rated heavy duty and they weren’t cheap ether.

I’ll definitely will look at those that you recommend including the Brass Shut-Off Valve which I think on the long run would be best to use instead of the built in shut off valve in the wand.

Thanks

2 Likes

Happy to help! I’ve struggled with my fair share of wands that wear out too soon. The best part of that brass shutoff is they sell a rebuild kit in the unlikely event you wear out the ball.

1 Like

That’s even better! Thanks again

1 Like

I love my Dramm stuff except for the valve that is opened by squeezing the lever, as I mentioned above. @jcguarneri - I also have tried the valve you mentioned but find it inconvenient to open and close the valve as I go from one pot to another. Despite the leaking, I am keeping my Dramm becuase I love the way the nozzle gently delivers a large volume of water without disrupting the soil mix in the pots.

3 Likes

It’s definitely less convenient than a squeeze, but I find it easy enough. It’s a good thing they make more than one type! They also have an inline “one-touch” valve that looks ok. It’s plastic, but it’s a ball instead of a squeeze, so it should have decent durability. Some of the wands come with this valve.

2 Likes

I have a couple of cheap ones with a valve like this and they hold up pretty well. Since they are like $8 at the big box stores for the whole wand with valve, I consider them expendable, but they last a few seasons if I don’t leave them out in the winter to freeze with water in them - happened once and it leaked at one of the joints the next spring.

2 Likes

Any ideas how to avoid wands from getting stuck to hoses. Even my Dramm got stuck to my Craftsman hose with a brass coupler.

2 Likes

You could use waterproof grease, preferably food safe. Or mineral oil would be ok, I think. Whatever you use, make sure it’s compatible with the rubber gasket.

1 Like

The most expensive piece of equipment is something that is cheap. That is unless you do not need it to last, one of a few time use. Other than that if you have to keep buying something over and over and over again. It is more expensive in the long run.

2 Likes

I know that this isnt a wand, and yes they are pricey but I feel that the quality is unmatched. Buy it once!

They also have awesome hand sprayers (they are large but unbelievably awesome…) as well garden stakes and other accessories like quick disconnects, etc. SUPER heavy duty and high quality, american made product.

4 Likes

Forgot to mention their hoses! Way lighter, non kinking and potable quality, go ahead, drink from the hose!

1 Like

@Sean this is timely as we are looking for good quality hose. Hoses from big box stores usually last a season or two, then have leaks.

@Kate6b OMG kate, these are next level. Dont get me wrong, you will pay for it…but the quality is great. As a disclaimer, I do not work for them. You can get whatever hose length you want and if you need a ton, just get the capacity kit for the reel. I dont think you will be disappointed. I got these for my mulch beds to keep everything clean and tidy…they are cool!

I really like the quick connects and also the reel has a 10 year leak free guarantee

1 Like

Watch the video LOL its gravy :slight_smile: