Best hose wand

Has anyone found a good quick connect system that they like? I’m trialing a brass one from Ace, but it’s a little loose and can be leaky. Also creates some unpleasant vibrations, and a lot of the reviews mention the gaskets wear out after a year or two. I’ve been eyeing pricier models from Dramm, Garret Wade, and Lee Valley. I’m pretty confident that they’re made better, but I’m not sure if they’re enough better to be worth it. Also not sure if the convenience factor is enough to really be worth it.

While we’re on the subject of quality watering tools, I’ve jumped the shark and bought one of these in the 75’ length:

My initial impressions are good. Excellent quality fittings, nice and light, and easy to maneuver. Flow is noticeably lower than a 5/8" hose, but still acceptable (I might spring for the 5/8" if I decide to get another one). Hopefully it holds up to the hype. I get really tired of junk watering accessories. Too many “contractor grade” hoses that don’t last, leaky valves, and wimpy fittings.

2 Likes

@jcguarneri

I’ve been pretty happy with my Geka quick connects. The waterstop ones work very well on hoses that you only use with wands/watering heads. They also sell new gaskets at a reasonable price. I love my water right hose! I’ve got a 100 foot 400 series. The water flow is definitely way lower than a 5/8" hose, but is so easy to maneuver around my small crowded yard.

2 Likes

I’m in the boat for a new hose. This is the last (only 25’ hose) I bought. It’s 100% rubber which I don’t know if that’s good or not. It’s the best hose I’ve had during my lifetime and bought it solely on price but am glad I did. Why I like it is because the hose has no say in how it flexes ever. Is that Polyurethane hose like this, Jay?

That sure is a nice-looking hose you bought and I do like the strain reliefs on it. I’ve never owned a hose with those. Thanks for your input regarding pure rubber.

1 Like

I haven’t used their quick connect, but I’ve used other hose components from lee valley and have been disappointed in them. Their durability matched that of much cheaper products from ace and elsewhere and I won’t use them anymore.

1 Like

The Dramm wand models with brass valves are very dependable.

3 Likes

Good to know, thanks! I have one of their brass Y shutoffs on order. We’ll see how that does, but it’s all brass with steel ball valves, so they’d have to try pretty hard to mess that up.

@Barkslip I don’t have a lot of experience with the rubber hoses. The ones I’ve used seem more kink resistant than the vinyl hoses, but I haven’t used them enough to have a knowledgeable assessment of their overall durability or longevity. I do have a collapsible natural latex hose with a nylon cover that has way exceeded expectations. Lightweight and no leaks, even though it got run over a lot at the community garden. I don’t think they make that one anymore, though.

@Megan_6a Thanks! I hadn’t heard of that line, looks like they have lots of options.

2 Likes

It can and does kink. I should’ve thought more about my question, I suppose. Hey thanks a lot, Jay. Haver a great day

1 Like

Well, we’ll see whose lasts longer (I’m sure we’ll both be around) and I’ll say about how much kinking occurrs pulling 100’ of pure rubber and pulling hard on it and going multi-directions…

Hope you like your hose a lot.

I purchased the 75’ model: Part Number: 98108806

2 Likes

This one from Eley has worked very well for me. I have half a dozen of these, and they all still work like brand-new.

2 Likes

Looks like a good one!

@jerry I did see those after I posted. Haven’t pulled the trigger, but good to hear they’ve been good for you. I like that the gaskets are on the inserted piece instead of inside the socket. Seems much easier to replace if necessary.

I think it makes a huge difference preventing leaks on any hose or attachment to consistently replace the gaskets. It might be annoying, but it is a lot cheaper than buying new hoses and attachments. Gaskets only cost $2.00, and I have never found a leak on a hose connection that wasn’t solved by a fresh gasket.

2 Likes

I agree on the gaskets. What I’ve found, though, is a lot of watering wands and sprayers develop internal leaks, that don’t seem to resolve if you open them up (if it’s even an option) to service them. Also, cheap hose fittings wear out so the threads don’t fully seat the gasket anymore, or they get smooshed. Most hoses seem to kink to the point of being frustrating to use after only a season or two (which is the biggest thing I’m hoping to avoid). So, yeah, replace the gaskets, but starting with better quality stuff goes a long way.

2 Likes

This is what I got from the below link. Of course I wanted 100 Ft. and as soon as my order arrived and I looked at the link again for more hose, they have it in 100ft. Anyhow, this is an industrial hose that I doubt will not last a lifetime: Apache 98108806 3/4" x 75’ Industrial Rubber Water Hose Assembly with Male x Female Garden Hose Thread Fittings, (Black but says Red)

That’s a Sam’s Wholesale hose that I purchased 15-years ago.

My “other” Sam’s Wholesale hose that I replaced with the Apache had near 30 fixes and was getting stuck on stuff every time I went for short or long walks… to water. This one only has (2) fixes I believe and gave me another 100 ft to the already 100 ft. I had. I’m set, now…

This Apache hose has super-heavy-thick, side-walls… it’s pretty-awesome. Pulling it vs the lightweight Sam’s hose with water in it, there’s really isn’t a great difference but the Sam’s hose may be 10% easier to pull. When you’re pulling a hose 200 ft. - that’s where the last 50’ of pulling each is what I’m talking about.

1 Like

We have a like-dislike relationship with Dramm at our house (love-hate is too strong a concept for hose wands). My wife likes them. I really dislike them. They leak; parts break; they get stuck in their hose). I must have purchased five or more of them in the last six or so years. But more than that, a brass nozzle works much better. I have yet to figure out why anyone would need or want to use most of the Dramm wand settings, and the two most used are “jet” and “shower,” and they poorly mimic what a nozzle was designed to do.

1 Like

There are two different levels of Dramm, with wildly different quality. The cheap Dramm wands/sprayers targeted at consumers are terrible. The stuff made for pros are of exceptional quality. The biggest problems with the consumer stuff are the squeeze valves and the multi-selector discs. Both of these are convenient and are great while they last, but aren’t very durable designs and will inevitably leak. Especially in plastic-heavy consumer products. As far as the settings, I personally like the “shower” setting much better than what an adjustable spray nozzle does. More concentrated, yet gentler. But, the Dramm water breaker heads do this way better than a multi-selector does.

3 Likes

The Lee Valley Y is in. Way better than any other splitter or manifold I’ve used, and feels like it will last. The fact that it matches my existing faucet handle was a nice plus!

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/garden/water-and-irrigation/hoses-and-accessories/100404-y-shut-off-valve?item=AL228

4 Likes

Very nice, looking good! Much better than mine.

1 Like

I’m giving it a go! I’ve been looking and looking at hose reels, and I haven’t been able to find a freestanding one that looks half as good. Some of the other wall mount ones look like they’d be more than adequate, but that’s a non-starter for us. I’ll report back once I have installed and have been using it for a bit.

For the quick connect system that you are using, do you still need to turn the water off to connect? I like my Gardena spray nozzle and quick connect system that I added to the soaker hoses, but it is very annoying that I need to turn off the water or kink the hose to switch attachments.

1 Like