Best hose wand

Yes; the connector won’t release (easily) while under pressure. One might consider this a good thing, actually.

If you don’t want to have to walk back to the spigot valve to turn off the water before opening a connector, add an in-line shutoff valve behind the latter. Eley makes a very nice one, of course, but you could also use a cheap and light plastic one from the local hardware store.

1 Like

Teflon tape?

Got the water right house loaded on the Eley reel with a Dramm shutoff and wand at the end. Just need to add one of those Lee Valley splitters to this spigot and I’ll have a watering system I actually like from wall to nozzle.

This reel is amazing! The hose just rolls right off the reel with almost no resistance. No leaks, no squeals. Winding it back up is no hassle. I’m sold!

1 Like

Eley makes good stuff. Not cheap, but a pleasure to use.

1 Like

Whoa, lots of good stuff here that I have to spend some time going through.

@Barkslip my dad bought a rubber craftsman brand hose a long time ago (probably at least 30 years) and it still works great. It’s garage kept but I think it has a lifetime warranty.

I have to look into all of these quick connect options, I need another 25’ for my current setup to be completely functional. Thanks all for sharing the first hand experience.

3 Likes

Definitely the Cadillac option. It’s nice to have something that just works like it should, though.

2 Likes

Now I am able to say this newer thick hose to the right (both are brand ‘Apache’ and both made entirely of rubber) likes to twist itself where it’s a lot difficulty to walk out the twist and it weighs a ton (however much?) with water that I don’t like the workout anymore, at all. I learned. Mistake again.

You know that smaller diameter rubber one on the left is fantastic and braggable. That’s what I needed if not one of the newer designs that you all use. This thinner rubber hose lays perfectly flat; the other (thicker) stands up in the air like a serpent, and does it on it’s own from me walking around simple corners is all and returning around the same corner. Pretty soon it’s fighting the water wand even within my hand. All that twisting comes back to the wand end of 75’ of length. That’s horse manure.

This is again what is the thinner Apache I bought probably 8-year ago:

And to the thick one I bought summer 2022:

1 Like

I have a pretty good never kink hose but I accidentally ran over it with the lawnmower a few weeks ago. I felt really dumb but I was able to repair it. I have probably had that hose for 20 years.

2 Likes