Best tasting apples

My original spelling was inexpendible. So many words so little mind. However, the definition for unexpendable does work in its context albeit not pertaining to commercial production.

unexpendable

[ uhn-ik-spen-duh-buhl ]

adjective

essential; absolutely required: unexpendable resources vital to our security.

not capable of being expended; inexhaustible: an unexpendable source of energy.

not available for expenditure: The principal of the trust fund is unexpendable.

2 Likes

ah, but Alan, do you have an idiosyncrasy of employing grandiloquent histrionics to discountenance impecunious abecedarians i.e. are you a sesquipedalian. :smile: :rofl:

I wonder how Roxbury would do in our Kansas climate?
I have grafted Yellow Transparent to a few laterals on one tree to see how they would do here. Based on reading alone, no first-hand experience, YT is known for being made into a wonderful smooth applesauce. Perhaps a YT/RR combo would be superb!

1 Like

You’re talking two way-different ripening times.

1 Like

Oh duh! :roll_eyes: The early early ripening of YT is another one of it’s unique features, which I had clearly forgotten. :joy:
Although I have frozen apples whole, then made them into sauce in the winter. I suppose it would be possible to do that with them both, but not worth the bother unless I just didn’t have time to sauce all of the YTs.

1 Like

Yt, lodi, and the various different ultra early apples would long be hornet food before rox even starts to ripen. I like rox in baked applications, cakes, crumbles, crisps etc.
I’m not sure how rox would do in your longer summers, as it is now, mine ripens a month earlier than guides say it should, this year especially with the heat and dry. Mines on g16 and does well although it is a small tree.

1 Like

Yellow Transparent and Lodi are a big nothing here. They get ripe early but they get useless by the time you get to the house to use them. Unless you are just making apple butter. They are too soft and the Lodi does not have too much flavor. YT has more flavor but are so soft and mushy inside.

2 Likes

Wow. Definitely doesn’t sound appealing. My main reason for growing YT is to make sauce, and mid summer I tend to have more time than late summer. The timing of harvest was appealing. We will see how that goes once mine start to fruit!

The YT makes great apple sauce. That was what I used mine for. My family did not enjoy them for just eating. They are very good for sauce. Just a very short window between ripe and over ripe. They just sort of crumble when they are over ripe and you try peeling them.
I was talking with my son on the phone last week. He asked me what kind of apple trees I was going to put out next year. He even mentioned the horrible apples from the YT he and his friends tried eating. None of them liked the apple to eat yet it did not stop them from eating them off the tree every year. :rofl:

2 Likes

YT is the only apple in its season around here. If you like tart they are good to eat before they turn to mush and have a nice flavor. The thing is that the brix is low so its not like a balance that favors acid but has the richness of more sugar underneath. Pristine ripens shortly after and is like an early yellow delicious which tends to please more palates.

2 Likes

That is funny! I guess any apples you pick off your tree might be better than no apple at all!
Maybe apple descriptions ARE correct sometimes! :wink: I recall reading it has a short picking window. Gosh, you aren’t kidding!
I am only growing it for the combination of early ripening and sauce making potential as I mentioned, so as long as I can pick them at the peak, we should be good. I will surely try some as they are ripening though, since I do like a tart apple.

2 Likes

Two options when I was a child and my grandparents had a YT…was fried green apples and apple butter. First apples at the time…I never knew what a store-bought apple was until being an adult. Used to love the store-bought apple pies though…Jane Parker brand…not sure what apple was in them, as it was before there was such a thing as Granny Smith.

4 Likes

Eating YT at the crisp stage with salt was a childhood treat. Unripe mango with salt even better.

5 Likes

@BlueBerry
My family loved apple pies when we came here. My father would buy the frozen one from Sara Lee. There were eight of us staying in the same house, parents and sibblings, but he always asked me to turn on the oven and put the pie in. It was so simple, I don’t know why he never asked anyone else, to create a special memory between him and me I guess.

@hambone
We always eat unripe, crunchy and sour fruits with salt and fresh crushed red pepper, makes them taste much better :So glad you like them the same way. :wink:

3 Likes

So true, apples that you grow yourself are almost always better than the store bought apples or sometimes even apples grown at a local orchard. With fruit trees it is location, location, location as someone so rightly mentioned here. Kudos to them, so very true!
I think the YT are a good choice for an early apple. You just have to make sure to get them at their peek of ripeness. People say use salt on them to eat, I agree. A little salt on this apple tastes very good. It is a very good apple to make apple sauce.That is mostly what I used them for plus I cooked some up to use with home make biscuits, (anyone else’s mouth watering like mine is right now talking about this?) The long winter without actually freshly picked apples and eating these early apples is a real treat.
As a kid I remember eating some YT at my grandparents house ( and their neighbors houses too, shhhhh). As kids you would basically eat whatever was ripe or not as you roamed around their yard. They also had and few other fruit trees, pawpaws, cane fruits as well as gooseberries they grew. I also enjoyed the Horse apple and the June Red apples. My mom did not like the Horse apple. She always turned up her nose at them when they were ripe. Not sure why, maybe because they were sort of tart instead of sweet. Belly aches from eating unripened apples as a kid, sure. Isn’t that a part of being a kid? Learning ( hopefully) from your mistakes and knowing when the fruit is ripe and better tasting and NOT taking the dares from your cousins about eating those unripened fruits and not messing around with the bees at their hives. Life lessons!

4 Likes

What about squishy ripe mangos with salt and tons of chili powder though?

2 Likes

That was an A&P brand, correct? With the actual heavy duty metal pie pan, not an aluminum cheap pie pan you get today.

Oh man, great memories you have! When I was really young in northern MN, the only apple available to me that was homegrown was a crabapple on my grandparent’s farm. I don’t know what kind it was. It was old then! It has since died, and I did not get any viable scion from it. :pensive: Looking at a lot of different apple pictures and descriptions, it may well have been a Dolgo. But those crabapples were VERY sour! I loved them! The more sour the better for me! (I also like to eat fresh lemons and limes). Later my dad started growing apples at our home and boy did we love that. I still looked forward to a trip to the farm and some of those crabapples though!

I haven’t had a Horse apple. I am intrigued. Will look it up. Seems like it might be known by another name… just checked Pomiferous and I don’t recognize it by any of its pseudonyms.

Yes, this whole Location business is interesting. Anxiously awaiting trees to fruit here to see if they will be winners or losers!

1 Like

Yep, A&P just couldn’t compete with Kroger I reckon. I bagged groceries summer before college for A&P. Within 5 or 6 years they had closed all their Kentucky locations. I think they barely exist now (like WinnDixie).

Usually 30-45 minutes.

4 Likes