Best tasting apples

B9 on a Tall Spindle. It really doesn’t shoot out much wood. Very productive.

1 Like

I gotta keep my apples above the deer. Maybe I should try growing it on 26 and train it to a T about 6’ up.

1 Like

You better have someone with you from that area of have some “kin” or had some “kin” from there when you visit certain areas. I from SE KY and that area is like that as well. They are VERY suspicious of outsiders. Everyone knows everyone there.

1 Like

How was the Kar Sonnenville apple to eat this year? Good fruit growing variety? I am looking at trying this one out.

Keepsake was my best tasting apple this year, at least right off the tree. Super crunchy, refreshing sweetness, heads my list. And a bonus- it fell off the tree when ripe, no guesswork.

2 Likes

MikeC, I also have a ton of relatives in Robinson Creek KY and west to Louisville. But yes, I agree, best to be related, know somebody, or some such before going up Buzzard Roost road.

1 Like

@MikeC

Karmijn was very good. Very clean and large this year.

Sweet, tangy , juicy, had a very strong wine like taste. Very aromatic. After a qhile there was a hint of pineapple( I think)

Mike

3 Likes

Sounds like a good apple. I will get this variety in my orchard for next year. Thank you for your feedback.

You won’t regret it. I have said before Karmijn is the most intensely flavored of all apples in my opinion. It is an explosion of flavor. Of the tree it can be extremely tart but mellows with a month of storage. I really like let it hang on the tree until they start falling too.

3 Likes

When does this apple ripen in your area? I am in SW Ohio zone 6a/5b.

I am in South East Michigan zone 6a. It is usually a mid season apple for me. Usually mid October. Sometimes a little later.

That may be a good choice for me here. It should ripen a few weeks earlier for me. That would put it ripening about mid- late September. It would fit in for me to be before the late apples here.

I have a few Karmijn still on the tree. One large and stripey one is in a bag to catch it when it drops. I have half my crop of Spigold also in a bag (one apple of two :wink: ) it is being considered as a variety to top work a big tree. Virginia Gold impressed me this year. I’m still waiting to get a decent Ashmead’s Kernel. Spitzenburg is tasty, Wealthy was earlier and quite enjoyable, Holstein had great flavor. The last Rubinette was super mello. It was suprising and had a flavor that was almost pear like. Hawaii is super sweet, like a yellow sugar bomb…as sweet Pixie Crunch.
Just some observations from central Arizona.

6 Likes

Thanks for the great reports on those apples. I was wondering when did Holstein ripen for you?

I’d guess early september. Bramley and Holstein both started dropping a ton…and probably about when Gala was getting picked.

2 Likes

Roxbury Russet is delicious and a decent keeper
But cosmetic appeal killed them off.
The English people are smarter and still have Russet apples in the markets.

Rox Russet was discovered in my general region and here is extremely productive and fairly precocious, unlike Golden Russet. Very easy to grow and many like its semi-tart flavor a lot. I don’t find it particularly exciting by itself, but it certainly is fine as a culinary apple to my palate. I prefer higher brix apples, whether sweet of tart, but reliable annual productivity is not a trait to sneeze at. It isn’t a solid russet, BTW.

2 Likes

Roxbury has been one of my best, most productive apple. I too don’t care for it out of hand but it dries nicely and has good flavor for an apple chip. Cooks well too. Isn’t bothered by disease that I can tell, annual bearer of green yellow semi-russeted odd shaped apples. when you look at them from the top, they are egg shaped.

3 Likes

One of my families of customers is religious about apple sauce and considers Rox to be unexpendable in the mix they use for scores of jars they make from their various trees. I had another client who was leaving them on the ground, being overwhelmed with other apples like Jonagold and Fuji that she prefers (born in Louisiana with a southern sweet tooth). The apple sauce client family was short on apples that season so I brought them a couple bushels of Rox and they fell in love with it for sauce. We’ve grafted over a couple trees to it in the years since.

3 Likes

The difference between “unexpendable” and 'indispensable" is like the difference between having all the apples you can possibly eat and selling all the apples you can possibly grow.

I’ve enjoyed this thread immensely… regardless of spelling indiscretions.

3 Likes