Best tasting apples

It got high praises from people who have eaten it. These two Herefordshire Russet do not have same amount of russeting.

13 Likes

I have a friend that has a Crunch a Bunch and they say it is a disease magnet. Whatever it cab get , it gets.They are probably going to take it out next year. I was hoping it was a good choice but they say not. Pity. Looked like a great little apple to try to grow.

I just picked my last E. Spitzenberg today. They taste great. This was the first year I had apples on it. It is only 3 or 4 years old. It was a horrible spring with so much rain and a heavy frost right when the trees were in bloom. Hopefully I will get more of these great tasting apples next year. I was even thinking of planting one more tree of the Spitz they are that good.

3 Likes

Nice looking apples. I will have to look for information to perhaps to try out in my orchard.

I haven’t got any fruit yet but this seems highly doubtful based on foliage on my tree over the last 3 years. I had received a toothpick that was partially girdled by voles so it’s growth has been glacial but foliage has been clean with only 2 fungicide sprays. It’s certainly easier than the Cox right next to it and Cox isn’t so hard at sites nearby with dawn to dusk sun and good exposure to breezes.

But this is in S NY conditions far from big water.

1 Like

I have Crunch A Bunch for 3 years now. The only issue I saw this year is powdery mildew but I did not spray it. Otherwise, no better or worse than any apples I have.

You are in the Midwest where the variety originated from. Surprise to hear your friend’s tree does not do well there.

The fruit tasted very good. It is like Gold Rush but a bit earlier.

Another member here on Cape Cod @Johnthecook also grows it and his appears to set fruit without skipping a year like mine.

I still have not found anything that beats a good Ashmeads Kernel.

Mike

4 Likes

It won my backyard taste testing this year. I agree with you.

1 Like

My Crunch is right next to my GR and no difference except both apples this year haven’t really wowed me. I just pulled a GR off and it’s not very acidic this year.

How does it bear in your espalier system? It’s way to shy for me. With so many leaves per apple it should be good.

@alan

This year has been especially good. And… as I said incomparable flavor. Sweet, juicy, nicely acidic, wow!! flavor.

No cracking, clean skin

9 Likes

My one and only from a thin graft.

3 Likes

Those look nothing like the bronze ashmead’s I grow as far as color. The shape maybe. .

@alan

The top photo is still on the tree.

The bottom is after I polished them. The ones that are in full sun look totally different from the ones that have some leaf cover. Most of mine get full full sun. A few are on the east side and are shaded by acliff so they only get sun from 11:30 a.m. or so.

Mike

2 Likes

Full sun will not get my strain, if that’s what it is, any color. I’ve long felt that there are two distinct strains of Ash. Mine is a dense high brix apple that begins to ripen in mid-sept and is fully bronzed. Like most russets I’ve eaten, it is coarse fleshed and that flesh is yellowish, not white. It is very high flavored with a lot of acid with that sugar. My tree came from Cummins.

@alan

See below earlier photos. See the different colorations on the same tree different side . They polish up nice.

When is the last time you saw Karmijn de Sonnenville like the one below

6 Likes

@alan

I will look up where I got mine from. But, not till next week

Mike

Finally something in this thread that I know something about. Ben Lomand telephone company provides service in Gruetli-Laager which is in Grundy county TN. The company I work for installed a telephone office for them about 25 years ago. There is a huge presence of Scottish and Swiss descendants in the area. My mother’s entire family is from that area. We go to family reunions every year. From an apple growing perspective, there is relatively little, especially as compared to eastern TN. I am not aware of any regionally grown apples that are considered better than average. Also, if you happen to go there, be aware the people can be very suspicious of outsiders.

3 Likes

That’s the one I have Alan. Mid September, good for eating, for pies, and cider. It bears well every year and has a great acid kick to it.

1 Like

What rootstock are you growing it on? Mine just pushes way too much wood and summer pruning hasn’t calmed it down. I haven’t fed it for years.