Best tasting apples

My location, 114 days above 100°F, max 117°F
Already 109°F on June 10th
Most people grow Anna here.
(Granny Smith & Anna) too mild for my liking, devoid of aromatic intensity & complexity.
Pink Lady tastes washed out, not much better than a Red delicious.
Surprise, Pink Pearl or Airlie Red Flesh might be good flavor choices if they can take the heat.
Same for Howell TC3 aka Lucy Glo which i have a few hundred seeds of 8)
Some of SkillCult’s (Albert Etter) hybrids probably good options as he has a similar even though cooler environment.
Never heard of Sundowner, will research.
I think that I need to consult with SkillCult personally!
The tree ripe Howell TC3, which I got were 3 times as sharp as Granny Smith, yet approximately 21°Brix & the most aromatic apples I’ve ever had, plus (cranberry/raspberry) flavors along with Opal like flavors.
Howell TC3 aka Lucy Glo is a (Airlie Red Flesh x Honey Crisp) cross.
Each was slightly uniquely different, yet awesome!
Not going to hold my breath over it but hopefully something positive from those seeds which loves heat.

If Airlie Red Flesh has more of the same, then that might be what I want, if heat tolerant???
Hopefully, maybe?

2 Likes

Skillcult’s growing conditions are far closer to my own than yours. I’m not suggesting you shouldn’t talk with him, Steven has a ton of experience and information to share, but to repeat myself, Kevin Hauser at Kuffle Creek is the person with most information and experience in conditions similar to your own that I can think of. Even if you don’t talk with him, check out his lists of apples grown successfully and unsuccessfully. That should help direct you toward your best bets.

2 Likes

Kevin Hauser at Kuffle Creek !
Cool.
I will look him up
What is his User ID Name here?

@applenut
Please read my thread comments on this post.
Mentoring assistance needed.
I have agronomy knowledge & some breeding knowledge, yet very new to Apples.
I prefer intensely powerful (flavors & aromas) with a sweet/tart profile.
Strong aromatic phenols & terpenoids awesome,
But not tannins!
Allergic to tannins.
I’m 27 miles outside of Tucson Az, at slightly higher elevation, lower humidity, more wind, in a copper mine run off flood zone.
Copper elevated enough to cause slightly reduced vigor in grapes.
Most plants don’t have reduced growth or blooming issues.
However, have heard apples are also Copper sensitive.
Suggestions?
I have close to 300 Lucy Glo seeds & 100 Lucy Rose.
What are my chances of getting something good from seed which can handle my unique zone 9a environment?

1 Like

ZinHead, I can only tell you my experience with the Esopus Spitzenburg apple, it is very good where I am at. One of the better tasting apples here. I am seriously considering taking out one of my less producing apples and adding another Espopus Spitzenburg tree. I am no where near you nor the climate you have there.

3 Likes

Most commercial orchards use various crab apples as pollinators. There is not much potential for growing high value seedlings when the pollen parent is a crab. Do you know the pollen parent?

1 Like

Top-working is much faster to production than taking out and replacing. Apologies if this is obvious and already considered.

3 Likes

Nope, have no idea of pollen parents.
Thanks

I have a few runt trees that are very small and have not done anything. The rootstocks are very thin and look sickly. That is why I would consider taking them out any replacing them with a more healthy rootstock. The sickly rootstocks and trees are all on G series rootstocks. They have done poorly for me here.
I appreciate the suggestion though. Very thoughtful of you. I enjoy seeing your helpful pots.

5 Likes

I have some good apples started from last year- gravenstein, granny, a yellow russet and one or two others. I think we put in an Arkansas black as an experiment this year.

are there any very old types that are tart and crisp? I don’t like mealy or overly sweet apples much, but I’d really like to try to graft more of the very old varieties.

2 Likes

Check out Rhode Island Greening and Northwest Greening. Pomiferous give decent descriptions of each.

4 Likes

I’ll take a look, thanks!

Ditto here as well. I want to find/grow some tart and crisp apples. My family and I do not like mealy or too sweet of apples, especially the mealy part. :nauseated_face:
I have a R.I. Greening apple growing in my orchard. It is mislabeled from the grower. It is not green nor tart. So I am back to square one without a tart and crisp apple in my orchard.

2 Likes

I like gravenstein, granny smith, others like that. I’ll skip the RI greening maybe.

@MikeC Suncrisp here in 6b mi. Was exceptionally good. Tart/ sweet and very crisp, more on the tart side.

4 Likes

I will look at getting one of these. TY for the suggestion.

@MikeC , I will have scion make a note to yourself if you want a few sticks.

1 Like

I will contact you for a few sticks later on. TY so much for your kind offer.

1 Like

those sound very good. same zone here. I may try some next year

2 Likes

The RI Greening ( circa 1650) is supposed to be the Granny Smith apple for many years before Granny Smith was introduced/discovered. Except the RI Greening is supposed to taste better and keeps about 5-6 months. I would like to actually have one in my orchard.

4 Likes