Blackberries, Raspberries and Hybrids

@PcChip, please be aware that there are many people who have bad experiences with ordering from Tyty or their other businesses under different names. A search on this forum will yield more similar documented occurrences than this one:

3 Likes

I did a deep dive into its history and got as far as i could with it… nobody liked it so its probably not interesting.

The honest nurseries like Bay Laurel and Bob Wells etc sell Dave Wilson nursery plants.

A good story and review-

3 Likes

Just now seeing this. Really glad these seem to be growing well for you. I didn’t know how they’d take the southern heat. Looks like they ripened about a month earlier than here. Any other things to note? Did you do anything special or stick them and let them go? How productive have they been? How long till fruit for you? I plan on propagating a lot more of these next year. Might be time to give them a proper name.

4 Likes

I have them next to Lawton which i am going to pull i think. I will likely pull Everett and also Healthberry…and let them do their own thing in a wild area. I dont see any sense in trellising them.

Reason is their desire to sucker. Also they are old wild types that are probably the most susceptible to viruses and i dont want them in my private block… thats me just being cautious though.

Ebony King is my favorite old timey berry right now and im keeping them in the row.

I am doing trellis on everything. Two rows of wire and T-posts about 3 feet apart. I am not going to tie anything anymore i dont think. The erects and semi-erects I let lean on the wire… and the trailing ones i lasso and braid around the wires.

Eventually i think i will just chop all of the erects and semi- erects to 4 feet in the late Fall and that will give me plenty of personal crop…and much easier to manage.

Here the Everetts seem to do well… they look healthy and happy and the fruits are comparable to Darrow. Perhaps they will get better with another year.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update. Yes, I agree that these things are far from well behaved. Having them naturalize in a hedgerow may be where you and them are both happiest :grin:

5 Likes

Celestial Blackberry
Thunderhead Blackberry
and Finnberry Raspberry

are all listed in the new propagation list at North American Plants.

So looks like those will possibly make it to nurseries next year.

No videos or any kind of marketing at all so far except for Finnberry.

2 Likes

Interesting about Finnberry; no attribute to Chad Finn in above link although Aurora, Oregon research site is mentioned. Otherwise, search results for Finnberry are dominated by various European brand powdered foods.

1 Like

Finnberry has Caroline as a parent

Chad Finn also patented Kokanee, which is the offspring of Vintage (and he patented Vintage also)

Kokanee starts producing somewhat later (close to Heritage) with characteristics very similar to Vintage, its parent. Vintage is known for outstanding flavor.

I think they wanted something earlier, so a better Caroline

4 Likes

Womack Nursery is open for shipping of Brison, Rosborough and Womack blackberries if any of those interest anyone. All are very thorny.

Root cuttings are 25 for $25 and they have various options for plants at a fair price.

I bought mine last year at this time and planted them near the end of December and all are doing well.

‘Womack’ (left), ‘Brison’ (middle) and ‘Rosborough’ (right)

2 Likes

how cold are we talking?

1 Like

Im not sure you’re getting enough ketchup…

2 Likes

Idaho Z4B

3 Likes

wow, impressive. id pretty much given up on a boysen or marion type here. i may have to get me some. how do you rate them @krismoriah ?

2 Likes

That would be awesome - I had given up on those

1 Like

guess i should have read down the thread some before asking. sounds like youve yet to try them. if its better than boysen in a warm climate, what is it in a cool climate? I imagine ID gets some decent heat, more so than here anyway.

3 Likes

Thats kind of my motto on everything i grow. If you read enough of these forums someone somewhere at some point wasnt able to grow something because it was ‘too cold’ or ‘too hot’. Then it becomes a Goldilocks variety until someone somewhere tries it and has success.

Loganberry is a good example… the thornless one gets zapped by cold snaps as TN hunter mentioned…where as the thorny one does well as far north as Michigan… unknown how cold it can tolerate as its impossible to find. I got mine from Mass. where it grows well for them.

4 Likes

I guess I should have listened to Sam I Am :“you cannot grow them so you say, try them, try them, and you may”

Ive always assumed based on what Id gleaned from apparently not very much research that trailing blackberries and hybrids were not only tasty, but fickle and tender. Maybe I just told myself that to avoid another endless fruit growing pursuit. Im afraid the cat’s out of the bag now.

Tayberry seems like another one worth trying here. Im pretty certain we have it all over Scotland for GDD :wink:. They sound tasty too, though I have a special set of noise canceling headphones that I use when I read nursery catalogs, and they may have been momentarily out of batteries. Im more interested in hearing what someone like you has to say @krismoriah when it comes to flavor, etc. I want to make sure the SWD’s here get nothing but the best :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I wish I could give em these giants. Looks like they’re enjoying them out in the PNW

4 Likes

We have wild blackberries growing here and there (good to eat) and so I ordered 10 ea. Ponca and 10 ea. Kiowa for next year. I hope they do well.

I purposely picked upright, as I will have enough propping to do with the muscadines, bunch grapes and hardy kiwi I ordered also.

We have raspberries, and Ollalie berries, only had the Ollalie’s one season but had the raspberries two seasons and so got some berries this year but they were small. Also, deer ate back part of our new vines so we won’t get as much next year but at least we will get something. We had one vine for this year and had more than one pop up for next year.

I will report back when I have better news and experience.

2 Likes

Its a dessert berry that mostly needs to be eaten as soon as ripe…as it gets mushy and doesnt keep well… worth growing for sure for fresh eating and maybe adding to some jams and jellies. Very short ripe window also. In warmer climates you have to pick them in the early morning or late evening or they will melt in your hands.

Columbia Giant- i dont grow it… im not much into the thornless varieties… im not much into its parentage…it has alot of dewberry and marion and ollalie in its parentage and looks to get its size from Black Butte which i grow but its not known to be a very tasty berry.

Columbia Star is worth growing if you want a marionberry without thorns…those are very popular in the PNW…due to its taste and thornlessness. Not very cold hardy though.

As far as a cold climate goes from what i see Newberry would be a very good candidate as the canes are nice and thick and forgiving… could easily be laid down in the fall and covered then trellised in the spring. Perhaps even wrapped with burlap would be good enough?

I am fairly convinced that Ebony King is the coldest hardy variety in the US that has decent breeding i really like its berries…but nobody knows its true hardiness… some places list it as Z4…but it could possibly handle Z3 i think. This could be what Canadians call Ebony Hardy which may be Z2-3… hard to know exactly until someone in those zones tries it.

I would offer to give you some Lawton that will likely make it for you but i wouldnt do that to you. The berries get ripe in mid to late October. I think Lawton could handle Z3-4 as it comes out of dormancy so late and doesnt even flower until late August or later. Big Juicy berries but most of the crop gets zapped by frost here in the unripe stage…very weird plant.

I have amethyst rooting and will root some Wyoming purples next year…those should be ok for you without any worry of cold damage… as Victor grows them in Alaska. I also have all of the yellow rasps if any of them interest you… Kiwi Gold, Honey Queen etc that are very cold hardy. I havent tried rooting root cuttings of them yet… that might be much easier than cane cuttings…i just wanted to make sure i could do it.

2 Likes

i grow Nelsons from fedco. survived 3 days of -40 with no damage, berries are small but they’re productive and tasty. wicked thorns. i successfully over wintered floicanes of Colombia giant under the snow here last winter. they gave me a decent sized bowl of berries last summer. im tip rooting the primocanes over the winter to expand my patch. planted 2 Colombia stars this spring. just buried them with snow yesterday. we’ll see how they do.

3 Likes