Bloom times of plums/hybrids. Zone 8b, PNW

Howard Miracle took a long time to start fruiting, but then has been good. It’s not as firm as Splash and doesn’t have as big a window for eating.

One year, maybe 2020, they tasted strongly of rose water. It was delicious, and different than other years. I have it grafted onto a tree shared with Shiro, and another one. It is reasonably healthy but not as clean as Shiro.

2 Likes

Hi Justin,
The first I have heard about plum pocket fungus, was not aware of this disease. I am trying to increase my plum varieties and had tried to add Black ice a year ago but the graft failed. Why do you think your trees were affected?
Dennis
Kent, wa

@murky thank you for information.
I already ordered Purple Heart American hybrid plum. I would like to try on this one but seem like it really easy has leaf diseases, and fruit setting not so often. A while ago my Superior American hybrid plum performed very poorly so it was removed.

1 Like

I have a couple of wild plum trees on a tree lawn down the street from me. I collected some pollen from them, and I think I may have spread it that way. I probably could have saved much of my crop if I had recognized it right away. It started on a couple of plums and spread to the rest.
This last Spring was perfect for disease. We had a max period of time where these diseases had optimum conditions.

Yes the wet springs here always present that danger.

Do an of your natives have fruit resembling my natives
The two above one like a green gage, the other resembles my Stanley
The one below seems too large for a native, but all three are volunteer trees here.

Last year my biggest challenge was aphid control. This spring I will use neem oil sprays to hopefully prevent them, and add a chlorothalonil fungicide for controlling fungal related diseases.
Dennis

1 Like

@DennisD How are you Dennis. Last month the ice storm really bad. I had to ask to removed 4 big elm trees. Now I have room for some more fruit trees. 4 new fruit trees came and 2 more come soon. So I don’t focus on any grafting for this Spring. Have a nice year to you and all of us. Happy gardening Dennis.

1 Like

Hi Vincent
Good to hear from you! Those ice storms were pretty bad here too! I fell one night taking my dog out and bruised my rib cage so I have been very slowly and painfully recovering. It’s good you got some new space for your trees. What varieties are you planting in your new spaces? I like to use these long winter evening to plan next years activity, so have been doing that and studying the markets while I heal up!
Take care
Dennis

1 Like

@DennisD
First of all
1: Splash Pluot, very good report about it in our areas. Very high quality Pluot and quality fruit as well.
2: Stanley plum, some reason I saw it performant well here and fruit tasting very good to me.
3: Delight and Sprite plum. They’re fruiting very well here.
4: European seedling plum from senior neighbor gave me long time ago. Planting in my niece’s property. Excellent # 1 quality fruit comparing with over more than 20 plum varieties I have. Called Vincent’s plum for now.
5: Flavor Punch Pluerry, it’s late ripening but no fruit reports from it in Pacific Northwest weather yet.
6: Still Sweet Treat Pluerry, I really like this fruit. Enjoyable even underripe stage.
7: Purple Heart plum. Good report on Fruit quality.
Take care of yourself Dennis. Vincent

I can definitely vouch for Stanley, it’s been a staple for us over 20 years and very prolific! I still want to procure scions for the others you mentioned to add to my collection.
Dennis

2 Likes

@DennisD i forgot to tell you I ordered Purple Heart plum also. Good quality plum but easy get leaf diseases and not so often fruiting here.
How is your Stanley compare with Italian plum .
Time ripening, Fruit quality, quality, how often, diseases…? Thank you Dennis.

Hi Vincent,
I do not have Purple Heart yet. Maybe I will see how you like it first as I add some others! Stanley is an Italian and does very well for me. If I recall I grafted both it and Empress to your trees last year. You might check to see if they took and grew. I’m sure you would like both. They both are very sweet mid summer ripening, Empress twice as large!
This year I hope my Sweet Treat grafts I got from you will set fruit. I should have quite a number to test this year from the past 2 years of grafting.
Dennis

1 Like

I had heavy aphid pressure in 2022 also, unlike anything in the past 10 years. Hopefully it was an aberration. It seemed to just afflict the European plums.

2 Likes

@DennisD this is the list you grafted for me last year.

Do you still have Stanley plum?

Yes I do
Dennis

1 Like

Hi Vincent,
I know you didn’t ask me, but Howard Miracle is a definite winner for me. It has a somewhat different flavor from most plums. It is delicious and it looks like a peach.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

Hi @JohnS
Nice to talk with you again. We discussed about Sour cherry long time ago. After ạ few years I removed all of them a while ago.
Thank you for telling me about Howard Miracle plum. It’s very interesting and still time for me to order. I just ordered more Splash and Sweet treat from OGW yesterday.
Could you tell me a little more detail about Howard miracle? Fruiting every year and how is the fruits texture…?I need it planting next to my Purple Heart. My Purple Heart not delivery until April. Thank you for information. Any pictures if you have. Vincent.
I just already ordered Howard miracle and Early Laxton plum from Planting Justice nursery. Thank again John.

1 Like

@murky Murky has been growing it longer than I have. I think it’s a bit more firm than some other plums. It tastes a bit more like a peach, but I think it’s just an Asian plum. It seems quite reliable as a producer. Sorry no pictures.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

This is on one multi-variety plum tree planted Aug 2021. Satsuma was the original tree purchased then i grafted the varieties below the same year. Each variety except satsuma has only 1-2 branches.

Vancouver Canada

|bloom dates begin|80% bloom|bloom end |
|—|—|—|—|
|northern sunset|Apr 4 2023|April 17 2023|Apr 30.23|
|satsuma|Apr 4 2023|April 15 2023|Apr.25.23|
|toka|Apr 18 2023|Apr.25.23|Apr.28.23|
|greengage|Apr 17 2023|Apr.24.23|Apr.26.23|

1 Like

@Barkslip what is the difference between regular vs improved satsuma? (Don’t wanna rely on nursery description)

2 Likes

Did Flavor Train produce fruit this year for you?
If “yes” than how would you describe the look and taste (photos would be very much appreciated).

2 Likes